Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 12:06 AM

They took out the separation shut-down feature when they built the WWD. It's a little surprising when it happens but it won't hurt anything unless it falls in your hair!

I have had 3 or 4 seem to lose their magnetivity, and all after having been to Eco-Tech for repair. When they come back they don't stick, or at least not the way they are supposed to. What is interesting is that I found out that this was one of the possible causes for some of my ealry rattling. I have one right now that won't stick on my big tank, but if I set it to 1/2" and put it on my grow-out tank that is built out of thinner material, it sticks OK. not great but OK enough to run if I have it resting on the bottom of the tank.

I have no idea why the magnets are going bad, but at some point it will happen to more people and these guys just won't be able to keep up with the service calls. Plus as you said, you spent hard earned cash to have them shipped and fixed.

It's almost like they are losing their magnetivity while being shipped back.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:15 AM
Parrot head

The ones on the sides are fine with the spacer set at 1/2". It the back ones without the spacer that are the issue. Needless to say I'm not a happy camper at the moment so I'll hold my tongue.

You better be careful hanging out in this neighborhood too.

I'll fiddle around with them tomorrow when I'm in a better frame of mind, it's just annoying that I should even have to. I've got better things to do. Plus the fact that the ones on the sides are fine and I don't feel like taking them off to swap them around with the back ones. Maybe it's just me but I think I should be able to take them out of the box, hook them up, plug them in and they should work. Maybe I expect too much.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:19 AM

Yes, you definitely expect too much Barry.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:28 PM
Parrot head

So now I'm officially PO'd!

Just wasted 1/2 hour messing with these things. Changed out wetsides and drysides for the both pumps that haven't been used yet with the same results...They don't freekin' work!

I'm not prepared to take off the ones that are working...I shouldn't have to and I've already wasted enough time with this garbage.

To make it even worse I tried to contact icecap by phone and email about 3:00 est and no ones home. I thought tomorrow was the holiday! Now I get to stew for another day or so.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:30 PM

welcome to MY world.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:31 PM
TRC Leader

Many businesses are closed today and tomorrow.

I would install some other powerheads that you have on hand for now to maintain flow while these are offline.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:38 PM
Parrot head

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Many businesses are closed today and tomorrow.

I would install some other powerheads that you have on hand for now to maintain flow while these are offline.
Hmmm...every business I've been to today was open including Piedmont Plastics warehouse. I was trying to find an acrylic diffuser. Of course they don't carry them anymore.

No no need to install anything else as these things haven't been on the tank since the wwd's came out. That's not the point. I was trying to get some things done over the next 2 days including reworking the aquascape. that's why the pumps are important I want to see if there's going to be any issues with sand moving around so I can correct it before I start moving things.

The main point is that these things were just overhauled and are supposed to be "good as new".

This is supposed to be relaxing.

I'm not like you guys. I hate tinkering. I want to get it done, sit back and enjoy the view.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:40 PM
TRC Leader

That is completely understandable, and I wasn't making excuses. Several stores in my area are closed today that I wanted to go to.
Old 12/31/2007, 05:42 PM
Parrot head

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
That is completely understandable, and I wasn't making excuses. Several stores in my area are closed today that I wanted to go to.
Just venting Marc. Didn't mean to take my frustrations out on you. It's all good...except the pumps of course.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:34 PM

I feel for you Barry. It can be very frustrating indeed.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:42 PM
Registered Member

If it was easy everyone would have a cool tank.

You just don't get the service today you did in the past. Not that I am old but I would appreciate when I worked for a company or person that really cared about there customers.

You still have a bad A@##$ tank.

Have a good new year.............

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/31/2007, 06:43 PM
Parrot head

For the pic hos...you know who you are, A FTS. I'm not the best photog and the camera's not working properly, plus these were quick and nasty.

Old 12/31/2007, 06:46 PM

what's all that crap on the back glass Barry?
Old 12/31/2007, 06:48 PM
Parrot head

I'm not happy with the placement of many of the corals as there wasn't much thought put into it. Basically others were placed and glued while the majority were put there temorarily and they've encrusted.

I have a color wheel now and plan on placing them strategically for the best impact on my picture. At this point I'm more concerned with color and balnce of the picture and will be using tanks like Oregonreef and Iwans as my models.

I'll post a straight on shot later as I'm undecided whether to remove one of the middle columns or not so I'll be looking for opinions.
Old 12/31/2007, 06:50 PM
Parrot head

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
what's all that crap on the back glass Barry?
Actually the back inside the tank is a sheet of acrylic attached to the glass. Are you talking about the black stuff (the acrylic) or the pinky/purple stuff? YOU of all people should be very familiar with that, your old friend coraline!
Old 12/31/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

looks at home..as long as its not the viewing panel..

Old 12/31/2007, 07:20 PM
Parrot head

That's part of the great debate too, whether to let the algae grow or keep it scraped.

From a maintenace point of view coraline is much easier. I think the black background gives it greater depth and pop.

The wife likes the coraline look. What say you?

Other question is regarding the pillars. As you can see some of them do not have all the rocks on them as I had taken them out trying to catch fish. The tall one in the middle that's missing some rock at the top, I'm considering pulling out completey. Any thoughts?

Old 12/31/2007, 07:33 PM

Well my first ever coraline shipment was picked up about an hour ago...

The cool thing about the corals encrusting where you put them temporarily is that you can now break them off and move them we=here they belong, and you have doubled your corals!

When I first place corals in my tank, I lay them down to encourage encrusting, then I move them to their final spot.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

i was reading that a fragger is doing test to se if they start out faster on there side then straight up..

I always thought I loved the coraline on the back wall without a doubt. But know you make sense about the depth. Maybe if you glue some frags or little pieces of rock to the back and have a couple open hole that are black to give it depth too, Something like hte best of both worlds. Sounds easy but we all know the truth...

Old 12/31/2007, 07:44 PM

I just don't like the "box" look. Dark backrounds are much easier to make disappear. And coraline is heavy enough that when it peels off, it falls to the bottom. One thing is, Barry has a glass aquarium so he could just put in an urchin and not have to worry about it. They love to eat the stuff!
Old 12/31/2007, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

I have an urchin. Maybee I should put him in my fuge. He is always feeding of my rocks..

Old 12/31/2007, 07:55 PM
Parrot head

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe

The cool thing about the corals encrusting where you put them temporarily is that you can now break them off and move them we=here they belong, and you have doubled your corals!

When I first place corals in my tank, I lay them down to encourage encrusting, then I move them to their final spot.
True but of course the ones that are encrusted are the ones I don't really want now..more common ones.

I always mount my frags on their side. They encrust quicker and shoot out more braches too.
Old 12/31/2007, 07:57 PM
Parrot head

eric, what type of urchin do you have? I was thinking a couple of tuxedos but then you have the problem with them knocking things over, no?

Jon, the back panel that's in the tank is actually a black acrylic panel mounted to the glass. The inside of the tank is acrylic. Will the urchins scratch it too much?
Old 12/31/2007, 07:59 PM

Eric, that would be your problem dude. Urchins eat coraline.

Barry, YES!! They will scratch acrylic, leaving sort of star shaped scratches. I don't allow them on my viewing pane for this reason.
Old 12/31/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

I have a black one that is on the way to the fuge. He does leave smugges on the glass. It is just alage that wipe away, not sure about acrylic.

If the corals are to common let me know I have a new home waiting for frags hheehee