Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/24/2007, 01:38 AM
WildThing....You Moved Me

Lightbulb Calling all Skimmer builders!

I've read many a time on these forums where folks building skimmers wanted to buy single short pieces of Acrylic tubing. Here's a eBay source I found. For those interested.
Guy

Tubing Link
Old 03/24/2007, 02:33 AM
no time for spell check!

there is one big problem with that tube. its extruded tube.
Old 03/24/2007, 03:20 AM
Registered Member

are extruded tubes weaker than poured?
Old 03/24/2007, 04:27 AM
Registered Member

Extruded is definitely not as good as cast.
Old 03/24/2007, 08:00 AM
Premium Member

Yeah but you cant argue with that price.
Old 03/24/2007, 08:18 AM
Registered Member

The same guy usually has some cast tubing for sale to at reasonable prices. I remember seeing 8" cast tubing 3' section for like 119 or some where close to it.
Old 03/24/2007, 09:04 AM
Registered Member

extruded tubes are fine for making skimmers.
Old 03/24/2007, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by spazz
there is one big problem with that tube. its extruded tube.
How is extruded a 'big problem' ??
Guy
Old 03/24/2007, 09:55 AM
Registered Member

I thought plexiglass and acrylic were different? The product he is selling says plexiglass acrylic??? anyway to my understanding plexiglass will turn more brittle over time than acrylic.
Old 03/24/2007, 11:19 AM
Registered Member

you dont want to use extruded with ozone.. but i think its been pretty much agreed that ozone will just hurt your skimmer performance and should be injected into an ozone reactor.. so if your trying to save money i dont think there is any problem with the extruded
Old 03/24/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

ieatqiue, im not sure you have all those facts straight, i could be wrong, but ive heard the oppposite.
Old 03/24/2007, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

That's the guy I ended up getting my tube from. Good stuff, and shipping time was fine, but they don't seem to be very good with emails.
Old 03/24/2007, 01:47 PM
no time for spell check!

the reason you dont use extruded is because everywhere you place a hole in the tube there si a good chance it will burst at that point. extruded is very weak compared to cast. also extruded will absorb alot more water than cast will. when it absorbs this water it expands and causes stress on all the glued joints. this stress will cause fractures to occure in the tube.
Old 03/24/2007, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

so where's a good place for cast tubing?
Old 03/24/2007, 02:03 PM

Burst?!?
We ain't building nuclear reactors here!
We're talking about protein skimmers with what, 5psi max, if that?

I can't count the times I've built stuff out of extruded to save money over the prettier cell cast plastics. I've yet to see any of the ailments you've mentioned.
Good grief!
Old 03/24/2007, 03:42 PM
El Jefe de WRS

There is an internal pressure/tension within the extruded acrylic... so much like a piece of tempered glass, cracks can propigate.

The real danger is with the joints failing. Extruded can absorb something like 60% of its weight in water, and it expands as it does. Companies like Deltec use extruded to save costs, but they bond the acrylic with a very flexible and special cement that attaches it to the ABS bottom and riser neck. Clear PVC would be a better choice than extruded FWIW.

Dont get me wrong, I have built many skimmers with 1/8" acrylic sheet as test dummies, and some fail, some dont. Is this the chance you want to take? I had a US Aquarium skimmer once that was extruded, and the bottom of the skimmer fell off!!! Pretty bad considering its a HOB!
Old 03/24/2007, 03:55 PM

Well I don't know where you all been getting your extruded plastics, but where I've been getting mine must be different. I've not had any of these problems with the many skimmers & reactors I've built with it over the many years, and I've abused the living daylights out of them.

Oh well, it was just a friendly suggestion for those in search of a low-cost and manageable size of clear tube for your every day casual skimmer. Sorry I blew up....
Old 03/24/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

Thank you for the link... wether I can use the pieces or not, it was nice of you to include us in your finding
Old 03/24/2007, 10:33 PM
Lenny & Squiggy

Quote:
Originally posted by hahnmeister
Extruded can absorb something like 60% of its weight in water, and it expands as it does.
Hahn, do you have a link to some info on this? I'd like to learn more...
Old 03/24/2007, 10:51 PM
El Jefe de WRS

Sorry, no. Its something Ive held onto from years back when I started using acrylic. Dont get me wrong, cast does too... but not as much. I have had cast overflows which expand enough between two panels of glass in a tank to cause the glass in the tank to be pushed apart (thats a mess)... but with cast, it expands in every direction, not just in one direction like with extruded. So when cast expands, it expands in length, width, height, and the bonds between two pieces at a 90 degree angle dont get sheared apart because everything expands equally. With extruded, the pieces expand in one dimension only, so in a joint where pieces are attached at an angle, one piece will expand across the joint surface and the other wont... and the pieces break apart under their own pressure.

Deltec gets away with using extruded on their skimmers because they dont have any points where extruded is bonded to extruded directly, or any angles. The extruded is also bonded to the ABS pieces with a special putty-like cement that allows for expansion w/o failure.
Old 03/25/2007, 12:46 AM
Lenny & Squiggy

Interesting stuff, thanks for the info.
Old 03/25/2007, 11:54 PM
Premium Member

LOL.......are we talking about a 500gal skimmer here!!!!!!

I have never heard such nonsense............just buy the extruded and build the skimmer

bg
Old 03/26/2007, 12:26 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry, no. Its something Ive held onto from years back when I started using acrylic. Dont get me wrong, cast does too... but not as much. I have had cast overflows which expand enough between two panels of glass in a tank to cause the glass in the tank to be pushed apart (thats a mess)... but with cast, it expands in every direction, not just in one direction like with extruded. So when cast expands, it expands in length, width, height, and the bonds between two pieces at a 90 degree angle dont get sheared apart because everything expands equally. With extruded, the pieces expand in one dimension only, so in a joint where pieces are attached at an angle, one piece will expand across the joint surface and the other wont... and the pieces break apart under their own pressure.

Deltec gets away with using extruded on their skimmers because they dont have any points where extruded is bonded to extruded directly, or any angles. The extruded is also bonded to the ABS pieces with a special putty-like cement that allows for expansion w/o failure.
Hahnmeister

Whenever I read your commentaries. I learn a lot..........sincerely !! .......,I would like to see a picture of your Skimmer made by you.

Greetings

-------------------------------------
Old 03/26/2007, 12:57 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Ill be making a thread for the building of my 12" diameter recirc bubble plate skimmer soon... just waiting on the 12" acrylic and getting the flanges made. Then Ill slap in the wet-neck and be ready to rock.
Old 03/26/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Ill be making a thread for the building of my 12" diameter recirc bubble plate skimmer soon... just waiting on the 12" acrylic and getting the flanges made. Then Ill slap in the wet-neck and be ready to rock.
thanks, good luck !!!!