Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/09/2007, 08:51 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by spsdude
I purchased I magnifica thru a sponsor here. It has been two months now. My two true perculas are in heaven! They label it as a yellow tip---which indeed all the tips are yellow.
where did you get it?
Old 03/10/2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Live Aquaria. It was an awesome experience.
Old 03/10/2007, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

I have also had one for about 2 months now. I saw an amazingly healthy looking one at the LFS and picked it up. I had been reading and preparing for one for months. It goes through phases, where it looks health and eats for a week, then slumps over and I think it is on its way out. Next week healthy, plump and active again. I am very cautious as 2 months is a a very short time...but this has been a good week so right now I am optimistic!
Old 03/10/2007, 04:17 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefTeacher
I have also had one for about 2 months now. I saw an amazingly healthy looking one at the LFS and picked it up. I had been reading and preparing for one for months. It goes through phases, where it looks health and eats for a week, then slumps over and I think it is on its way out. Next week healthy, plump and active again. I am very cautious as 2 months is a a very short time...but this has been a good week so right now I am optimistic!
what size tank? lights? water parameter.
Old 03/11/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Tank is 45 gal...but established for 5 years so is very stable. 6 in deep sand bed. Two HOT skimmers, a BakPak and a Remora. I inject ozone in the BakPak about 5-10 mg/hr. Lighting is T5 about 240W 6 tubes: 2 6700K, 2 10 000K and 2 actinic. Alk about 4 meq, Ca2+ about 420ppm as per salifert. Nitrate under 5ppm and PO4 about 0.05ppm. The pH runs a little high usually about 8.5 I have WAY too many fish and therefore feed quite heavily. My sand bed serves me well and I have zillions of pods and worms after 5 years.

anything else?
Old 03/11/2007, 02:27 PM
clownfish fan

Quote:
Originally posted by ReefTeacher
Tank is 45 gal...but established for 5 years so is very stable. 6 in deep sand bed. Two HOT skimmers, a BakPak and a Remora. I inject ozone in the BakPak about 5-10 mg/hr. Lighting is T5 about 240W 6 tubes: 2 6700K, 2 10 000K and 2 actinic. Alk about 4 meq, Ca2+ about 420ppm as per salifert. Nitrate under 5ppm and PO4 about 0.05ppm. The pH runs a little high usually about 8.5 I have WAY too many fish and therefore feed quite heavily. My sand bed serves me well and I have zillions of pods and worms after 5 years.

anything else?

those 6700k t5s i think would help
and the fact that your tank old

Good luck with it and please post pics
Old 03/28/2007, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

You guys/gals are a great resource; thanks for all the tips. I guess I'm one of the lucky west coasters; I found a healthy one in a holding tank at my LFS and just couldn't resist the yellow tips (beautiful). He's on the move daily from the 2 X 250-14k. I only keep the wave maker on when I can moniter his movement.
Once he settles I'll post photos.
Old 03/30/2007, 08:16 PM
Registered Member

Here is a thread which might help regarding H.magnifica and survival rates for newly shipped anemone's...

QT Procedures for Anemone's

My thoughts on this and experiances with it are on the thread...but long story short...I'm a big believer in Doxycycline for newly imported anemones...

I've had mine for 1 year as of 03-10-07. Its a smaller H.magnifica and not one of the gorgeous red or purple based ones....but I love it and so do my Onyx percs.

It sits under dual XM10K 250 watt bulbs in a 58 gallon tank. Circulation is provided by a Panworld 100PX-X through an OceansMotions 4 way HD unit. Its on the highest rock in the tank. I tried switching from AB10K DE's to Hamilton 14K DE's and the anemone started to move around....went back to 10K's and it quit wandering.

I ordered it online through www.phishybusiness.com

There is a local guy (to me) who has an H.mag he's kept for over 10 years. Its in a 180 gallon tank, under 250 watt MH's...he kept it for years under 175's....
This thing is litterally the size of a manhole cover... he feeds it a single whole cocktail shrimp a week.

Nick
Old 04/03/2007, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

I once got a healthy purple one, it would even grab and eat flake food at the LFS!. But it died in about 3 weeks in my tank, but at the time I had bad quality t5s and bad current.

The LFS owner is my friend and he is an expert and he is not a gold digger, so he is going to get my a new healthy one for my new 175gal.

I now have JBL t5 lighting, individual reflectors, and wavebox, I feel confident that if I get a healthy one, it will thrive!
Old 04/04/2007, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

I have had one for nearly 5 years, during which time it has split

It sits fairly low down on the rockwork where it gets the best flow.

Lighting is triple 250w 10K halides

Here is a recent picture. (credit to ~Tony~ for the photo).

Old 04/05/2007, 11:33 AM
Registered Member

maxxII, or any one else who may know,
Where do you buy Doxycycline.

Thanks,
Aaron
Old 04/05/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

You need a prescription from a vet for it. Used to be able to buy it at the LFS many years ago, but the FDA found out people were buying it for themselves cheaper than they could from pharmacies, so they regulated it. Now you need a prescription...

Nick
Old 04/05/2007, 11:43 PM
Premium Member

or just find somebody with an STD and steal their doxy
Old 04/06/2007, 07:39 AM
Registered Member

LOL....
After getting a RX for Interceptor to deal w/ red bugs for my acros...my vet just laughed when I asked him for the Doxycycline. He asked if I knew it was gonna be fulltime job when I got into this hobby...

Not a problem to get it from him, I'll be picking up some today just to have on hand.

Nick
Old 04/06/2007, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

so how is the Doxycycline supposed to help?

and mine is still going strong...even got a bit bigger and i had to move the green zoo's out of the way and i dont even feed the damn thing.

Old 04/06/2007, 08:15 AM
Registered Member

Read the link....

Dip for newly shipped anemones.

Nick
Old 04/06/2007, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

A LFS close to me has three Mag's in stock. They received them on March 21st. Two out of the three look pretty good, would you still dip these?

Would you consider them healthy if they still look good after this amount of time?

Dave
Old 04/06/2007, 12:00 PM
Actiniaria Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by maxxII
LOL....
After getting a RX for Interceptor to deal w/ red bugs for my acros...my vet just laughed when I asked him for the Doxycycline. He asked if I knew it was gonna be fulltime job when I got into this hobby...

Not a problem to get it from him, I'll be picking up some today just to have on hand.

Nick
I wish our vet would be as understanding. We tried to get Interceptor from them (done business with them for almost a decade with cats and dogs and ferrets) but they wouldn't do it. They referred us to an exotic animal vet 40 miles away, who wanted a consult fee first then charge a visit fee to write the rx.

*sigh*

-Sonja
Old 04/06/2007, 03:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rare Angels
A LFS close to me has three Mag's in stock. They received them on March 21st. Two out of the three look pretty good, would you still dip these?

Would you consider them healthy if they still look good after this amount of time?

Dave
Thats not quite two weeks....

It would depend on how they looked. If they looked healthy, and were behaving right, (feeding response etc), then most likely not. I would dip if the anemone's were freshly shipped.

Nick