Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/04/2006, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

Tunze Nano Reefpack 200?

I'm setting up a nano and I was planning on using an AquaC Remora Skimmer but while browsing at marinedepot. I came across this skimmer from tunze. Does anybody have any first hand experience with this? Comments would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09/04/2006, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

you should do a search on the tunze usa fourm
Old 09/04/2006, 08:09 PM
Aquatic Philosopher

dont know about tunze, but I absolutely love my remora, you cant go wrong with aquaC!

University of Mary Washington Alumnus
Clemson University
Old 09/04/2006, 09:04 PM
Onyx Clownfish

I saw one on Friday. Seemed kind of cheap to me. Especially the skim overflow part. Plus the skimmer looked like a standard venturi skimmer. I say go with the Remora.
Old 09/05/2006, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Go with the Tunze reefpack. The information and opinions expressed to me, says this the best system for the nano reefs.
I am in the process of setting one up on a 30g. Oceanic cube.
Old 09/06/2006, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

I am a lurker and almost never post, but I happen to have BOTH of this skimmers working right now. My AquaC Remora is an old version, I bought it in 1999. It does a very good job and continually skims whatever color skimmate I want. It is noisy and this is an issue because my tank is in my bedroom. It also clogs up about every 6 months and needs a muriatic acid bath to get it working again. This is a big pain because I have to tear the whole thing down and invert it in a bucket of dilute acid deep enough to submerse the water intake. I understand that the newer skimmers allow you to dismantle the intake for cleaning...haven't seen them.

On the other hand I have the tunze skimmer on a 10-gal. nano that was set up this summer to house 2 clowns. I am a BIG fan of Tunze skimmers and have an old 3110 that is currently not in use. I am very impressed with its performance. It takes a while to settle in, but you can make VERY fine adjustments to the air intake to dial exactly what color skimmate you like. It is the quietest skimmer I have never heard! When you clean the cup the air intake is flushed with water to diminish clogging. When you replace the cup after cleaning, it begins skimming almost immediately again. Of course the foam collapses when you feed, but the Tunze produces foam more quickly after feeding than the Aqua C.

These comparisons are suspect. My Tunze is the lastest model availible and my Remora is old. They are on completely different systems: the Tunze a 10 gal with moderate fish load and the Aqua C on a 45 gal full reef with VERY heavy fish load. The Remora is helped by a BackPak on the same tank, both cups need to be emptied and cleaned daily. The Tunze sits IN the tank and therefore there are considerations if you have a hood. The Remora sits BEHIND the tank and therefore is better with some lighting fixtures.

hmmmm....is there anything I left out?
Old 09/06/2006, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

I own an AquaC Remora purchased in 2004 and overall, I'm pretty dissatisfied with it. Although it's the only skimmer I've ever owned, I never can seem to get as much skimmate as others have claimed from it no matter how low I place the collection cup. I've even bathed it in a vinegar solution for 24 hours and still no incredible skimming, no matter which tank I place it in.

Just fyi, the Remora DOES get pretty loud. This can easily be remedied by placing a folded up paper towel in the leftmost compartment (right on the internal pvc tubes). You'd be amazed how much this silences the entire unit.
Old 09/06/2006, 10:00 PM
Aquatic Philosopher

hum, I have my remora in my bedroom and I dont think its loud at all but mine is the newer version with the cleaning opening/screw. I also have the mag version because the rio pumps are the noisy version as far as I have read. As far as producing skimmate, it collected a cupsworth with 3 days during the "break-in period" that is before it was supposed to really produce anything. But then again different skimmers for dirrerent folks

dystopian: if you are having a hard time getting skimmate, contact aquaC, im sure they will help you out.

University of Mary Washington Alumnus
Clemson University
Old 09/07/2006, 08:34 AM
Registered Member

Yea, I have the newer version with the cleaning screw, attached to a MaxiJet 1200. Thanks for the advice, I think I'll contact AquaC.
Old 09/10/2006, 12:27 AM
Registered Member

I love mine