Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/03/2008, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

where to buy shark.

I have been to alot of online stores looking for nice shark . no one seems to have anything nice. Any help would be great . i know what kind brownbanded bamboo ,love their adult color. thanks . GOT MY TANK TODAY >
Old 01/03/2008, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

www.fishselections.com

I got my marbled cat and cortez ray there last week. Great service and quality animals.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

Thanks nice selection . how big did you bye your shark?
Old 01/03/2008, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

I got a female marbled catshark. She is around 16 inches. Probably an adult. Another option, if you are looking for the common brown banded bamboo is to buy an egg case and hatch it. I did that also, and it worked very well producing a healthy non-skiddish animal.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

One more thing...I would recommend cycling your shark tank for a good long time with some other animals first because I have noticed, even on my 6 month old system that sharks produce much more ammonia than other fish I have kept and even though I cycled my system well, even having a small bamboo in it for months, I got an ammonia spike that I wasn't expecting. Also, you might want to run the polyfilter to make sure that your acrylic isn't leeching any chemicals into the water. Sharks seem to be more sensitive to everything than other fish I have kept.
Old 01/03/2008, 08:46 PM
Keeper of Sharks

I disagree about buying an egg case. Yours might have been healthy and ate right away but the fact is, most don't. If you want a BB Bamboo, buy a juvenile that is already eating well.

As for where to buy one, LiveAquaria is a good place. Never ordered a shark from them but I'm sure it'll be healthy and that they'd package it as well as they do any other fish.

Good luck and keep us updated!

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 01/03/2008, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Hi again i was online at ny aquatics they a grey smoothhound shark . What do guys think . let me know . thanks
Old 01/04/2008, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TheSaltwaterGuy
I disagree about buying an egg case. Yours might have been healthy and ate right away but the fact is, most don't. If you want a BB Bamboo, buy a juvenile that is already eating well.

As for where to buy one, LiveAquaria is a good place. Never ordered a shark from them but I'm sure it'll be healthy and that they'd package it as well as they do any other fish.

Good luck and keep us updated!
acutally, buying an egg and gettin the lil guy to eat is fairly easy, there is less stress from moving from tank to tank, which is why most shark stop eating in the first place. If you can find a juvie eating shark locally, Id highly recommend that over an egg, but if its between ordering a shark or an egg online, egg is usually a better option for the same reason fishymel said, it will be less skiddish.

and your tank would be waaaaayyyyyyyyyyy to small for a grey smoothhound. They are free swimmers, need a much larger tank.

Last edited by limitedslip; 01/04/2008 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01/04/2008, 03:34 PM
Keeper of Sharks

Definitely no Smoothie. They can reach 4' in length and will outgrow that tank pretty dern fast.

"Risk something, take back whats yours. Say something that you know they might attack you for." - Linkin Park - Hands Held High
Old 01/04/2008, 05:19 PM
Registered Member

kinda off topic but fishy mel was your cortez in good shape when you got him/her ive been thinking of using that site for my cortez rays
Old 01/06/2008, 04:06 PM
Registered Member

My ray came in awesome condition. He ate the 3rd day I had him. I usually don't feed for a couple of days after acclimation just to let the animal de-stress. He was nibbling at stuff in the sand right away and settled in very quickly. I was very pleased with the quality and condition of this animal. The only thing that is a bit strange is that he doesn't look like the picture. His spots are reversed. Instead of having big brown freckles like in the pictures I have seen, including on the fishselection site, this ray has very tiny white spots all over and then big white chocolate chips. He fits the Cortez description in every other way. Short wide tail with bulboous type. Small size (mine is 4 inches across the disc) and very active. My LFS owner/friend told me that he has never gotten a ray in, other than cortez, that has such a small central disc and that is active as much as my new fellow. I did right fishselections and inquire about the color diference and got now response other that for Eddy to say that he was glad that my ray arrived healthy, and he repeated that it came from Baja mexico and was true cortez. He did not comment on the reverse coloring. I have hunted online for pictures of cortez rays. They are hard to find. Most show dark spots. I have hunted for other kinds of rays, and none of the other more common varieties look like my guy either. I wonder if there are a variety of color patterns these guys can come in. But, for my purposes, this ray is perfect. He is small, which is what I wanted and active and eats well and seems hearty since he shipped well. These are the reasons I wanted a Cortez in the first place, so he meets my goals. Hope this info helps.

I can say that my lfs owner/friend says that rays ship extremely poorly, so if you get one that arrives alive and is eating well right away, you have struck gold! So, I am very happy and would use fishselections again.
Old 01/06/2008, 04:08 PM
Registered Member

corrections to above post. I meant to say bulbous tipped tail. And I meant that I wrote the guy not "right". Sorry, I am so braindead today.
Old 01/06/2008, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Nice tank. Saltwaterguy, isn't there a guy on shark central that sells all kinds of sharks?
Old 01/06/2008, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

There are a lot of people on SRC that can get you any type of shark/fish. Brenden, is one. I know there are others, just can't think of their names.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

Shark alley was the one I was thinking of.
Old 01/07/2008, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

I'm wondering what size is the tank?
Old 01/07/2008, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

I'm wondering what size is the tank?
Old 01/07/2008, 07:38 AM
Keeper of Sharks

Yeah, sharkalley sells all kinds of sharks and rays. Along with Brenden and a whole bunch of others.

Old 01/07/2008, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

Tank is 400 gal 120 gal sump ap902 detec skimmer , 2 sequence 2400pumps 75 gal refugium.2 250 watt halide pfo lights .should be enough for my sharks & ray & my 16"sohal.