Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/21/2004, 09:03 PM
Registered Member

You Paid How Much????

OK, I'm a sucker for animals but I've been wondering about something for a while and decided to just see what you all think. I bought a long hair chihuahua a couple of years ago, he was a 7 week old puppy then and cute as could be! He's still a cute bugger and my main sidekick, I couldn't begin to put a price on him now. However, when I bought him he did have a price and it was $968 dollars! His little wagging tail that looked like it was going to lift him off the floor any minute caused temporary money blindness (or maybe insanity) and I bought him. I don't regret it a bit, like I said he's my best buddy but I do wonder how much other people pay for long hair chihuahuas. He's not AKC registered, he is ACA registered. I had him neutered right after I got him so there was no paying his way through stud service So how crazy am I?????????
Old 09/21/2004, 09:11 PM
Registered Member

I am amazed the vet allowed the pup to be fixed at such a young age. Usually they want the puppy's to be at least 4-6 months old so they can develop more.

I have 2 brittney spaniels which are 13 & 15 month old & I payed less for both of mine then your 1 dog

I also have 6 cats all of which weight more then your pup will ever be
Old 09/21/2004, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Come to think of it, I believe he was about 4 months old when he was fixed. Yeah, he also cost more than my other dog, cat, rabbit, and turtle all together.
Old 09/21/2004, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

ahh......4 months is more like it.....hell....my black durgeon trigger cost more then my 6 cats I do not have any rabbits except for the 4 or so that come into my yard to eat. Then my dogs chase them out when I let them out...... Unfortunantly my dogs killed a bull frog last week, he was a big guy, 8-10 inches long. Fortunantly my pups have not gone after any of my koi/gold fish in my ponds, they swim in it daily & fortunantly have not gone after any of them
Old 09/21/2004, 09:26 PM
Premium Member

Thumbs up

....When he touched your heart you were his
....That bought back a terrible memory.
....When I was about six yrs old,my Dad took me on one of his house calls.I will never forget the this guys name.Charlie May.Well this guy was breeding chinchilas' for the pelts.I was in his "slaughter room" holding one when I heard him tell my Dad what he does with them.I would not let that fur ball go.My Dad paid the guy for her and she had a good life.Lived for about 5 years.
...........Mickey..........
Old 09/21/2004, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Yep, my animals have me around their little fingers, I mean paws... That is such a neat story about your chinchilla, I can't stand to think of animals suffering at the hands of humans.
Old 09/21/2004, 09:33 PM
Registered Member

Congratulations on finding a good little bundle of love and being able to give him a great life. Some people spend thousands on their pets simply "own" them. Others pay nothing and find a child they could never have. You said that you don't regret paying that much. You seem to love him more than money. There's your answer.
Old 09/21/2004, 10:12 PM
The Notorious Reefer

Wow.. Chihuahas come in long hair?

-The new and improved Lebowski 29 tank, (Oh man, it's so close to being accomplished! It will blow your minds!)-

-Boogie on Raggae Woman-
Old 09/21/2004, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm partial to the long haired ones, you can see them at Google images with a search on long hair chihuahuas.
Old 09/21/2004, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

well, I paid 400 for my rare blue chihuahua and he is AKC...we were stupid and got his jewels chopped off...we could be rollin in the dough now...I also paid 300 for my other chihuahua. I have never been too fond of long-haired though. 968! That's crazy!
Old 09/21/2004, 10:47 PM
Registered Member

i got mine free....i got it from a lady that couldent take care of it anymore....so i took it. he was a puppy or atleast a juvenile.his still going strong and healthy.i got lucky i guess.oh..and his not fixed,but he is very well taken care off..and no accidental litters.
Old 09/21/2004, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

My g/f paid more than that for hers.
Old 09/22/2004, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

i paid 350$ for one of my beagles and $400 for the other. My Australian Shepherd was a rescue from the pound. However, I am seriously considering getting another Aussie pup later in life and plan to shell out $800-1000 for it. In my case I am paying to avoid all the health and behavior problems I know have started to show up in the breed from people just trying to make a fast buck. I'll want a puppy that looks like an Aussie and has a solid temperment (or at least a better chance of it) to boot.
If I choose not to go that route I'll be making a trip to the pound to search around. Or Aussie rescue where they cost about $200 to cover the adoption fee. YOu never know where your best friend could be!

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 09/22/2004, 07:54 AM
Monkey

My plan was to buy a new Mastiff for about $2k. Dogs are the kind of thing that you can't really put a price tag on. If you like the dog, are confident in the bloodline, and have the $, it shouldn't matter.
Old 09/22/2004, 08:03 AM
Premium Member

Paid $600 for my Sheltie, $400 for one Ocicat and $450 for the other.

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 09/22/2004, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

I paid 700 for my shetland sheepdog. Neutering was part of the contract. A friend of mine paid 900 for a wheaton terrier
Old 09/22/2004, 08:33 AM
i'm here for you two

all of my pets cost me big time...........but i love them.........we even went to long island ny to pick up my purebred blue flemmish giant........the cost of him was 60dollars then there were the ferry tickets and then the gas for the truck............but it was worth it we are going to be picking him up a blk doe later on. my most expensive animal is my female blue and gold macaw..........but they are my spoiled lil babies

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 09/22/2004, 09:41 AM
Bah Humbug!!

People-
The price you pay for a dog is zero indicator of the quality of the dog. I have seen mill puppies go for thousands, and serious puppies from breed top producers have been given to me on several occasions.

And boasting about any price paid (or thinking that breeding dogs is in any way a money making venture) only serves to illustrate how little you know about dogs to begin with.

I can repeat this- cost is not an accurate gauge of quality.

If anyone is truly interested in how to buy a quality puppy this is how I have always purchased dogs.... and have never YET been disappointed.

Define your expectations for the dog.
Do you want a companion dog or a competition dog? If you intend to compete- in what venue?

Investigate the breed thoroughly... join e-mail lists, clubs, buy every book possible, and talk to as many people who own that breed as possible.

Learn all about the genetic problems that plague your chosen breed, and I assure you, there are several.

Learn about quality...... pet vs. show. Do you really understand the difference? Do you really understand that a "show dog" is not about aesthetics but about structure? And do you really understand how structure affects quality of life over the long haul?

Learn about the clubs nationwide..... go to as many shows as you can, and see who exactly is breeding the type dog you want..... within each breed there are many variations.

Contact as many breeders as you can, and find out everything possible about their attitudes regarding genetic testing, husbandry, puppy placement, and relationships with their puppy buyers. Answer all their questions, and fill out all their forms........ if they don't care who or what you are, or grill you regarding your suitability, cross them off your list.

After all this (and it does take some time) you will have found a breeder who has the type and quality dog you want, does all necessary genetic screening, whom you respect, get along with, and trust to keep an open line of communication for the life of the dog.
Get on their waiting list for puppies.
Be VERY patient.

When that marvelous day comes, write that check for whatever they ask and SMILE as you do it, for you will have found a healthy, well bred puppy with every chance for a long, happy life. You will have the support of a wonderful breeder for the life of the dog, and will know deep in your heart that you got the best dog possible.
Old 09/22/2004, 10:39 AM
I have no catchy title

Quote:
I am amazed the vet allowed the pup to be fixed at such a young age. Usually they want the puppy's to be at least 4-6 months old so they can develop more.
Actually some vets are spaying and neutering dogs and cats starting at 4 weeks due to pressure from shelters who want to allow people to adopt animals at a young age but not take the chance they won't get the animal fixed. It's called early age spaying and neutering.

Personally, I think mutts make some of the best pets. Mine was free. The vet is really expensive though, so maybe I can brag about that.
Old 09/22/2004, 10:49 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

My wife found the cat in my avatar sitting in a tree meowing for help as she biked around the lake. Grace was a kitten and stuck on a high branch. My wife helped it down, and the kitten followed her. She dropped it off at the animal hospital in case someone was looking for her. After five days, the vet called and said the kitten would have to be put down, as no one had claimed her. Of course, my wife ran right over, and Grace has been with us for three years.

We've had several very expensive Seal Point Siamese cats, but Grace the tree-cat is the best pet we've ever had.
Old 09/22/2004, 10:53 AM
Bah Humbug!!

And many of the best dogs I have owned have been rescues, but I thought this thread was about "bought" dogs.
Old 09/22/2004, 11:00 AM
in the bathtub

Junior is our animal resue cat. We lost Floyd a year and half ago he was a small kitten that adopted our friends two one-hundred pound labs. My wife has had cats longer that me all have been wood pile cats.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 09/22/2004, 12:26 PM
I have no catchy title

This thread is about whatever the hijackers want it to be about. It's now about peaches -- do you remove the fuzz from yours before eating?
Old 09/22/2004, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Over the lifetime of the dog. What you initially paid for him is nothing and such a small percentage compare to all the vet bills, food, grooming, toys, etc you'll be paying until he's dead. But its worth every penny.
Old 09/22/2004, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

I have 4 dogs, 3 Rottweilers (2 female, 1 Male) and 1 Lab. We have 6 cats (4 domestic and 2 Bengals).

The rottweilers cost me $2700 for one of the females, $2200 for the male and the other female cost $800. She would of cost close to $2200 but when she was a pup she got her ear caught in a chain link gate and it tore off the fleshy part of the ear so she cant be shown, but she has excellent bloodlines.

All came from Germany and from excellent breed programs that have many champions and there lines. I researched breeders and the dogs that have come from them to get the best quailty from the breed in the hopes of bettering the breed when that time comes when I start breeding them.

As was mentioned earlier its not about the money and if it happens that I feel the dogs I have now will not contribute to better the breed then they will be fixed and they will keep being awsome pets as they are now.

The lab cost $600 from a local breeder.

The bengales were $400 a piece.