Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 01:22 AM

I use Ushio 20Ks Jay and like them a lot. No supplemental lighting needed.

I agree Ryan, the Vortechs are a great concept, but I have had a lot of trouble with them. Some of the issues were due to the product rollout and others are because I am trying to use them at the edge of their operating parameters. If it was just one element it would probably be OK, but since I have multiple issues that push this technology and need to run them at full blast, I am having the unfortunate problems you see.

They do have a temp. limiter built in, but whether that is "fool-proof" I don't know, and I think based on information gleaned from some of the best tank manufacturers in the country, Eco-Tech may re-evaluate where that cut-off is. They based the 140F cut-off on the maximum working temp. of 180F for cast acrylic, but with the added stress of water pressure, we are finding out that the maximum working temp. may actually be significantly lower, putting the Vortech cut-off too close to the danger zone. Please understand, I am no engineer, and am just relaying what i have heard from a couple of qualified sources. What Eco-Tech does will be based on their own research. Perhaps this painful event will bear out some further research and a change in the way the Vortech is coded. For instance, there could be a glass version and an acrylic version, or there could be an add-on cooling fan for certain situations.

If I had a small tank with a couple of pumps, in-viewing room etc. I doubt there would half as many problems. AND I think this particular pump had some sort of a fit. I don't think that Eco-Tech has built into teh driver any kind of statistical tracking that they can access, so I doubt we can really find out why it over-heated. Bums me out too since the two units I have with fans are running so damn well.
Old 12/09/2007, 01:59 AM
TRC Leader

Did you ever post pictures of the pumps with fans attached? I'd like to see them.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:31 AM
R I P we miss you...

Quote:
Originally posted by Micki
What K rating are they? I run 250 watt 14 K blueline bulbs and couldn't believe the difference! I also run 65 watt PC actinic lighting.
Jay I might add, the actinics I use are for a dawn/dusk effect. I really don't see much difference if any with or without.

The blueline in my opinion are very crisp. I agree with mrcrab, the 10K was too yellow for me.

Western Ohio Reef Club

Click the red house for my 125 progress!
Old 12/09/2007, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Did you ever post pictures of the pumps with fans attached? I'd like to see them.
I hope I didn't write something that confused you or others. I never got the fan mod from Eco-Tech. The two units I have running with fans just consist of 6" clamp-ons I picked up locally running on house power.
Old 12/09/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Wheres that full tank shot? Does Eco Tech have a Fan mod available or one in the works?
Old 12/09/2007, 11:47 AM

No FTS...I don't want to get on top of the tank to clean the glass. As far as the fan mod, I don't believe so. I would assume that if they did, I would be the first to have one.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

wow just wow i'm sorry jonathan for what happened to your tank. i'm glad i sold my vortechs and will never buy from a company that would put a customer thru so much grief. good luck in fixing your tank, i'm sure you will come up with a solution.
Old 12/09/2007, 02:22 PM

Been a while clekchau! Thanks for the good wishes. How is your system?

It's tough to definitively say that Eco-Tech has put me through grief. In the scheme of things, they have worked with me for many months trying to resolve various issues, and ultimately most have been solved at great expense to them. At this point, you know that they have had enough of me, and it gets tiresome to have to keep dealing with the same customer over-and-over again.

I know because I am in retail and there are sometimes customers that no matter what you do, have a bad experience, or even multiple bad experiences. It's the nature of doing business and dealing with other human beings. I can't imagine what the discussions at Eco-Tech have been like over the last 18 months with respect to my system, as I am sure it would be great to have their product running successfully on it, and get good PR from it, but the hassle has been extreme.

Imagine how cool it would be to see a tank with 9 - 12 Vortechs creating wicked current with fish flying all over the place and corals polyped out like Chubbacca. I have seen the most startling polyp extension in my system that I have EVER seen, when the pumps were running at 100%.
Old 12/11/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

Interesting read - Vortechs attitude has been enough to convince me to go with a Tunze TS24. They dont seem to get the concept of customer service.
Old 12/11/2007, 06:52 PM
Premium Member

I just got wind of this... I'm sorry man, seems like there is always one emergency or another with our tanks and the bigger the tank, the greater the risks. It does blow that Eco-Tech is dealing with it this way, but its just another one of those unforeseen curve balls that get thrown at you constantly in this hobby.

And now that I think about it... you sure you didn't rig those pumps so that you would have an excuse to buy yourself a bigger, better tank in the never ending quest for the unattainable perfect tank??? j/k man, best of luck and I hope everything gets resolve without to much more stress and expense.

Proud Registered ORCA Member
Old 12/11/2007, 07:00 PM
Premium Member

Have you yet decided how you are going to handle the cracks ?

Also, you mentioned wanting to catch up with me on something... you know my #, just give a holler
Old 12/11/2007, 07:48 PM

sorry guys, I am really ill today. no decisions have been made yet. Still waiting on a portable pool.
Old 12/11/2007, 07:53 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by gnarlyswine
Interesting read - Vortechs attitude has been enough to convince me to go with a Tunze TS24. They dont seem to get the concept of customer service.
You are way off base, unless you personally have your own experience in dealing with that company to share. You will find very few, if any, people stating they got poor service from EcoTech & IceCap when it comes to these pumps. Reading the threads in the EcoTech forum, you'll see many people stating how quickly the turn-around time has been for repair issues. When I needed something, EcoTech took care of it within what I would consider a very reasonable amount of time.

Comments like yours (about their customer service) just perpetuate myths that hurt companies we hope to continue doing business with. Again, if you were mistreated personally, that's entirely different. I have not, and I don't know anyone that has with the many VorTech owners I've spoken with over the past 2 years.

And in all fairness, there was a bad run of Tunze parts that got a bunch of people irate, but they too did what they could to make their customers happy. My own pumps ran fine, but they weren't from the Nano-Stream line of pumps. I used mine for years, and when I needed something, Roger of Tunze took care of it.

Quote:
Originally posted by thirschmann
I just got wind of this... I'm sorry man, seems like there is always one emergency or another with our tanks and the bigger the tank, the greater the risks. It does blow that Eco-Tech is dealing with it this way, but its just another one of those unforeseen curve balls that get thrown at you constantly in this hobby.
We don't know how they are dealing with it, as it is between the company and Jonathan. And last he stated in this thread, he won't be sharing those details. Hopefully he'll be satisfied with whatever they agree (have agreed?) upon.

Quote:
And now that I think about it... you sure you didn't rig those pumps so that you would have an excuse to buy yourself a bigger, better tank in the never ending quest for the unattainable perfect tank??? j/k man, best of luck and I hope everything gets resolve without to much more stress and expense.
I agree, except for the part where you are joking of course. If he ends up getting a new tank, that will resolve this coralline scraping business he tries so hard to avoid.
Old 12/11/2007, 08:25 PM
Parrot head

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
If he ends up getting a new tank, that will resolve this coralline scraping business he tries so hard to avoid.
For awhile anyway!
Old 12/11/2007, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mrcrab
For awhile anyway!
Probably a VERY short while at that...

Current Livestock -

Yellow Tang // ORA Clown
Flame Angel // Sailfin Blenny
Pair Cleaner Shrimp // Sexy Anemone Shrimp
T Maxima Clam // Sebae Anemone
Old 12/11/2007, 10:25 PM

damn coraline.

Feeling a little better right now...

Marc, I have been reasonably tight lipped over the last 18 months about the issues I have had with the Vortech line out of respect for these guys trying to launch a revolutionary product. That in no way diminishes the struggle I have had with the product.

I have had my pumps out for service many times and have championed Eco-Tech's cause in numerous ways. I still don't have enough of them because we haven't gotten to a point where they are ALL running well. The ones I have fans on are performing extremely well and running at 100%

Prior to this recent acute crazing, I have had them craze my tank in several places. It has been difficult to stay positive. I am sure there is still more to this story to come.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:37 PM
Parrot head

I can't talk too much...the sides of my tank are beginning to look like Sparkss'!

Tom's tank...not mine.

Old 12/13/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Thats strange. I posted pictures of my tank the other day and now they cannot be viewed in the thread on the prevous page in this thread. Yet when you follow the link to the pictures they are there....strange they worked for a day or 2 then are now just empty boxes.

Jay
Old 12/13/2007, 10:38 PM

That is strange. Looks like the image tags were removed because they are still on the other board. You never know what the mods are going to do on RC. A couple days ago they closed a thread because some RC MEMBERS were discussing someone who is no longer a member. Good pics though!

Sorry I haven't been around guys...I am really sick. Got 4 perscriptions today mostly involving strep throat. I feel like I am going to freakin' die. Never had this before. I have been bed-ridden since Sunday.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:23 PM
Parrot head

sounds like the clap to me.

Hope you feel better.
Old 12/13/2007, 11:44 PM
Will work 4 corals

Drink more whiskey! Always works on my sore throats.

So shoot me!
Old 12/13/2007, 11:48 PM
TRC Leader

Hot tea, thick honey (the kind you have to stir), lemon, sugar, and crown royal. You'll be better in no time.
Old 12/14/2007, 12:09 AM

Thanks guys. And Marc, how did you get my Grandma's recipe??? That's really naughty eh?

Andrea just got home and our main cashier is out with it too. So she is braving the Christmas rush by herself. The timing is horrible, but then again, it always seems to be. I won't be able to go to the PSAS Holiday Party this weekend and that really bums me out. It feels normal to be is a room filled with wack-jobs.
Old 12/14/2007, 12:17 AM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
Thanks guys. And Marc, how did you get my Grandma's recipe??? That's really naughty eh?
You're not the only guy with a grandmother.

Because mine was in Switzerland, she had access to some amazing honey. It was thick, and came in a metal bucket from a local farmer/bee keeper. It seemed like it was about one gallon's worth in that bucket, and you spread it with a knife on some delicious farmers bread (Basler Halb-weis). I have searched for similar honey here in the states and so far haven't found anything even close.

Crap, now I miss Switzerland even more than before this post. *sigh*
Old 12/14/2007, 12:20 AM

got plenty of Swiss stuff at my store! We have a lot of mom & pop honey makers in our county so I always have a nice qt or two of raw honey.