Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Connecticut Area Reef Society (C.T.A.R.S.)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 08:14 PM
Registered Member

protein skimmer for 180 fowlr

does any one know of a good skimmer for a 180
Old 01/07/2008, 08:33 PM
CTARS Member

I use a Aqua C EV240...

I am happy with it.....
Old 01/07/2008, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

the only thing is i only have 25 inches height under the tank in the sump.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

you have room for an external skimmer?
Old 01/07/2008, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

i was thinking of a asm G4+ any you have one
Old 01/07/2008, 09:29 PM
Registered Member

do you mean hang-on or mounted out side fish tank cabinet
Old 01/07/2008, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

like a recirc skimmer just plumbed outside of the sump. Like the Delted AP series or The DAS EX's (i love my DAS btw)
Old 01/07/2008, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

i did some reading on those skimmers they are a good option 2 just what to make a good choice for that kind of money
Old 01/08/2008, 01:13 AM
Registered Member

I personally like having my skimmer not being in the sump. It makes it so much easier to clean the collection cup without having to go messing around under the tank. I havent used many different skimmers so i have no basis of comparison on which would be the best bet but i can say i am extremely happy with the results from my DAS EX-1. I think a DAS EX-3 or similar sized external recirculating skimmer would do you just fine!
Old 01/08/2008, 07:17 AM
Enjoying Life

I would also look into the Euro-Reef model. I sware by mine, and once you get it tuned in, it does an awesome job.
Old 01/08/2008, 08:58 AM
B-Boy AZTEC

I have used, several skimmer, tunze, deltec, redesea(i know it was my first time!! lol) Aqua C(hang on type not comparing to the big ones ) and thus far the happiest times(i should say stinkiest!) have been and still are with deltec skimmers..... I had first an MC500 wich pulls in about 350lph was great for my 40G system... then i upped to a 120G cube, and upgraded to an APF600 sucked in 500lph, moved back down to a nano and now runing an MCE600 sucks in about 400lph.... i have never ever been disapointed by the skimmer!! and customer service is great(although not much response if you use the forum, but if you call its great!!) i had a busted pump and they replaced it

Now I have debated with craig(just playing around though) about his DAS skimmer but the truth is that they are actually great skimmers made with a little bit cheaper acrylic but you knwo what acrylic will break if you drop it no matter what!! my cat broke my deltec APF600 simply fell on its side and the weight of the pump cracked the body..... so i say what ever cheaper plastic or the more expensive plastic that still breaks?? i say go with a DAS!!!! you will end up with the best bang for your buck!!!!! no doubt about it!

like craig said look into the DAS EX-3 you should be fine Good luck.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:42 AM
Registered Member

Dont get me wrong if i had the choice id go with the deltec but if i had the choice id also be driving a ferrari! I cant say the deltec is better or worse cause i never used it. Id love to put a DAS next to the equivalent Deltec and literally wiegh the results (in sludge LOL), have an air meter and see how much air each is pulling, and just literally make a detailed comparison between the two. I hear deltec has better customer service but i had no problem getting in contact with petorama (das supplier) when i needed some help with the skimmer and some spare replacement parts. So if the deltec is a little heavier plastic but is just as efficient as the DAS you gotta ask yourself is the customer service worth the hefty price tag for the deltec? Just as Rich said acrylic will break if you drop it or it gets knocked over. So to say the deltec is better just for the heavier plastic just realize they are both will break just as easily if it gets dropped or beaten up.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Here's a dumb question...where can you find DAS skimmers? I've tried looking online, but can't find where they are actually sold.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:59 PM
Registered Member

http://stores.petorama.net/Categorie...ters%3AFilters
Old 01/08/2008, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Ahhh, thank you.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

That is the reason people complain about customer service over at DAS. Nobody knows who to even contact. If you get a DAS skimmer and have any issues just deal with petorama they are a DAS supplier. You can get them a few other places but you will pay more anywhere else i have found so far.
Old 01/09/2008, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

jumping in here. Are the DAS designed to sit outside the sump or inside?
Old 01/09/2008, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

the EX models are external but i guess you can put it in the sump if you have the room. The BX models are meant for in sump and they have the pump that drives them built in. You need a seperate pump to drive the EX's or plumb it in off your drain.