Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

bamboo catshark

hey all,
i just bought bamboo cat shark egg for my tank and while i was very excited about the possibility of raising a shark in my tank i have recently become very concerned...i have a 60 gallon fully established tank with plenty of water flow around in the tank...i have crushed coral live sand for my bottom...i have a 2-3inch niger trigger, a huma trigger, a snowflake eel, a lawnmower blennie, and about 8 snails...upon researching the shark i ran into a few concerns, is the shark going to be ok with the rough bottom layer? and while the loss of the snails isn't my biggest concern, will the shark eat my fish? i want to keep the egg till he hatched but not if its going to cost me my other fish...what should i do? i plan on upgrading to a bigger tank by the time the shark would need the room. any help is appreciated
Old 01/10/2008, 12:44 AM
Registered Member

I rasied a few sharks in my old 300 gal. I had to go NO rock, any time food is put in the tank they go crazy and knock over all the rock and scratch their faces.

Also you will need a huge skimmer to remove the waist. In my tank I had a black tip reef, a nurse and a leopard.and a puffer The all got huge in a hurry, once I left on a vacation for a week and my neibhor "forgot" to feed them, when I got home the puffer ( I think)had eaten the fins off the nurse , It died! After that I returned the sharks to the LFS, I think I had em for less than a year?

Cope

Honestly I think you should return the egg or buy a much larger tank.
Fishies.. 2 perc. clowns @ 1.5", cromis 1 @ 1", PJ cardinal 2 @ 1.5", Blue hippo tang 1@ 1.5", Star goby 1 @ 2.5", Yellow watchmen goby 1 @ 1.5", Fire fish 1 @ 2.5" Inverts. CB large, Cleaner shrimp 1 @ 2.5", Peppermint shrimp 5 @ 1" to 2", Naz snails 10, A few large snails
Old 01/10/2008, 12:47 AM
Registered Member

Between the triggers and the eel that lawnmower is a goner. That is a huge bioload for a 60 gallon.
Old 01/10/2008, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

Also I had CC on the bottom less than a 1/4"

I got the sharks small 6-8" and when I got rid of them the were 18+"
Fishies.. 2 perc. clowns @ 1.5", cromis 1 @ 1", PJ cardinal 2 @ 1.5", Blue hippo tang 1@ 1.5", Star goby 1 @ 2.5", Yellow watchmen goby 1 @ 1.5", Fire fish 1 @ 2.5" Inverts. CB large, Cleaner shrimp 1 @ 2.5", Peppermint shrimp 5 @ 1" to 2", Naz snails 10, A few large snails
Old 01/10/2008, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

You may want to post this in the agressive fish forum as well.
Old 01/10/2008, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

your tank is too small... it's too small for 2 triggers let alone a bamboo shark! Return it or upgrade your tank.

It will eat your fish...
Your bioload will be so high, your skimming has to be super aggressive and, even so, your levels will be way out to lunch.

Not a good situation.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

If this situation is real and not a troll, then this is a bad situation. Why one would buy a shark egg without researching it first is beyond me, especially with 2 triggers and an eel already in the tank. The blenny and the snails will be gone in no time at all. The eel and triggers will eat the snails. The blenny will be picked on by the tiggers at some point and probably killed.

Seriously, I think this is a troll thread. This can't be real. "Hi, I have a 60 gallon tank with already 2 fish that will get huge and aggressive. I just added a shark egg. Oh ya, and I have an eel. Is that good?" Come on! Aynyone who does the slightest research or asks just a couple of basic questions about sharks, knows that they need a much larger environment then a 60, especially if that environment already has things such as triggers in there.

On the very off chance that this is a real thread (and I can't stress that enough), I don't think any shark should even be considered for a tank less then 125-150 gallons. Take the egg back, and give the blenny to someone before it's eaten. I have to imagine you knew the snails would eventually be eaten by the triggers and/or the eel. If you didn't know these things, you really need to start asking questions before you make purchases like these!
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Fire Shrimp, Cleaner Shrimp
Old 01/10/2008, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

BTW, what happened to the volitan lion you said you had before?
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 01/10/2008, 10:41 AM
Premium Member

I hope it is a troll. If not, please do a lot more reading about everything concerning keeping marine fish.

~Steve~
Old 01/10/2008, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Poor shark...
Old 01/10/2008, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

ok real quick....
A)everyone stop worrying about my blennie and snails...they are fine witht he triggers i have had them all for a while now and no one gets eaten...they get along fine so stop worrying about them
B)my LFS gave me the green light on the egg and the way i igured is that since its an egg i have at least a month before the dan ting even hatches so its not a big deal if i need to take it back and
C)my bioload is fine...all levels are stable and tank is in good order so stop complaining about that to...my question was simple...will the shark eat the fish? yay or nay?
and my lion fish is doing fine thank you he is my favorite because of the way he eats...its savage.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

ok real quick....
A)everyone stop worrying about my blennie and snails...they are fine with the triggers i have had them all for a while now and no one gets eaten...they get along fine so stop worrying about them
B)my LFS gave me the green light on the egg and the way i ifgured is that since its an egg i have at least a month before the dang thing even hatches so its not a big deal if i need to take it back and
C)my bioload is fine...all levels are stable and tank is in good order so stop complaining about that to...my question was simple...will the shark eat the fish? yay or nay?
D)i DO plan on getting a bigger tank soon as stated in the origional thread so please stop telling me to get a larger tank...i realize i need one by the time that the shark is grown up lol
and my lion fish is doing fine thank you he is my favorite because of the way he eats...its savage.
Old 01/10/2008, 01:43 PM
Team RC Member

I fear you have more of a food chain than a community in that tank, and you have just introduced the top predator, which may die when he finally eats the lion.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

you do realize the shark grows to about 3 feet and needs a tremendous amount of swimming room not to mention he will probably eat most of the inhabitants of your tank. I think who ever sold it to you should not be in business. I would research more thoroughly before buying anything. And if all of us listened to what our LFS said i think most would have pretty fouled up tanks and always have issues. I have a 215 and i wouldn't put a shark in it.

Harry
Old 01/10/2008, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

I find when peple don't tank the time to fill out any information. Then ask the question " will the shark eat the fish". It's a pretty safe bet it's a TROLL.
Old 01/10/2008, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

idiot.

“No good fish goes anywhere without a porpoise”
Old 01/10/2008, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

ya....I'm still placing a pretty safe bet.......TROLL!

So let me get this straight: In your 60 gallon you now have 2 triggers, a blenny, a lionfish (something you didn't even mention here, but in past posts), snails, and a shark egg......all in a 60!?!?!

And, it never once dawned on you that this recipe may not work?!?!? I don't care if all the LFS wants is your money, at some point someone would have said something to you about this combination before now.

Troll.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 01/10/2008, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

i had a 2' bamboo shark and he ate 2 lion fish, and did not die, those guys need a huge tank
Old 01/10/2008, 03:07 PM
Registered Member

I agree, this guy is obviously trolling for attention. Quite pathetic really.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:09 PM
Nightime Tank Cleanin'

Quote:
Hobby Experience: none
it shows.....

Don't ask a question you don't want the answer to.
Old 01/10/2008, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

ok, in the time i have been a member, and before that when i was simply reading the RC forums, i have found all the members to be intelligent, nice, and above all help full. i also have known them to be very intuitive..... the reply's to this thread make me nauseated at how HORRIBLY wrong i was about the CERTAIN members replying. not only are you all HORRIBLY failing to actually READ the original post: i.e. he IS<---------!!!!!!! going to be getting a bigger tank. READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! he is also NOT concerned with the bio-load, compatibility of his current fish, OR interested in simple bashing. he came to you all for help. a little hasty in his decisions yes, but asking some pretty simply questions. you all have lashed out on him like hes a Harlem gangster who is out for nothing but trouble. he is OBVIOUSLY not trolling as he has replied addressing some of our concerns and asking his original question yet. what is REALLY pathetic is the lack of help given, the apparent inability to read by certain members, and the accusation thrown about like a retard at a shooting range. i cant believe the despicable attitude this thread has shown and i have to say to all who apply, shame for your immature approach to someone who obviously should have done more research but made a simple mistake.

and for all you tofu-farting hippies out there, who think fish are as fragile as the crisp leafs in autumn, he bought this tank ALREADY established as he has pointed out before and he has LESS fish now than when he bought it so OBVIOUSLY the load isn't to high.

now for a REAL reply:

iraqi, if you REALLY like WMDs you love this shark cause you will have massive problems. my suggestion would be to take it back to your LFS if possible and try to do more research in the future. you really jumped in the deep end and should slow down a bit. ya gotta know how to swim, before you dive head first. the triggers have had a historical problem but if they work great, great not all fish are the same. some are more temperamental than others. but when that shark hatches, if you keep it, monitor EVERYTHING very closely. good luck........

P.S. i am 20 with more manners than all these grumpy old farts. now THATS pathetic
P.P.S. moderators, please dont strike this, as these folks REALLY need this little lesson. i look forward to the battles.*rolleyes*

-Paul
Old 01/10/2008, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

Paul I read his post, and replies, and just simply don't buy it, but that's just my opinion. I offered advice, on the off chance this is a real case, but like I said, I just don't buy it.

Anyways, I hate the idea I would even post this reply, as I know it feeds the trolls and keeps them fat and happy.

Well, regardless as to what anyone may reply, I'm done posting on this thread, which won't matter, I'm sure, because this is well on the road to getting shut down now....as it probably should.
2 Firefish Gobies
Occ. Percula Clownfish
Blue Hepatus Tang
Blue Sided Wrasse
Purple Line Dottyback
Old 01/10/2008, 03:56 PM
troublemaker

Folks, if you think this is a poster who is asking a question to inflame things [troll] ... then ignore it if you have nothing to add to the discussion.

This is supposed to be a welcoming community, where people can learn from mistakes and avoid jepardizing the marine life we all care about.

I'm not trying to excuse poor care of marine life, it's something that bothers me intensely.
But negative responses will either cause this person to leave this site [and skip any good care information we can give, hopefully to give these creatures a long and decent life] ... or it will just inflame the situation [feeding any desire to inflame].

This is the New to the Hobby forum.

Please be patient with new posters - and if you think something is meant to get you angry, don't take the bait. The only person who controls your response is you.

Just my opinion, but let's represent the best of our community - not the worst.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:06 PM
Team RC Member

Thanks Mark. It's pretty easy to forget that we have all done things that we probably wouldn't repeat, and years of screwing up makes you a wiser, if more judgmental, reefer. Let's try to take the new guys' questions at face value, without showing our instant indignation.

iraqiwmd asks a fairly legitimate question. Bamboo sharks feed primarily on invertebrates, so if he read that, he might have wondered if the shark was going to hatch out and jump right on his triggerfish. I think it would be neat to raise one from an egg, and might even hatch him in a small tank if I were in the process of converting a bedroom into a shark haven. That said, I'd get some satisfaction out of keeping it for a few months and observing its behavior, even if I had to find it a larger home soon. I saw a baby one in a restaurant tank a few months ago, maybe a 40 gallon tank, and he wasn't there the next time I went in. It made a neat display, and I'm sure the LFS guys who kept the tanks stocked just took it back to the store to a larger home.

Some of you guys gave him good advice about the fish/food chain already, but I'll add, since nobody else did: the shark can, and might, eat your snails, as it's well equipped to crunch them.

Cheers,

Don
Old 01/10/2008, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

To everyone talking about manners and such, while many of the posters may have been a bit harsh in your opinion, this is an online discussion forum, with many passionate people about their hobby and the animals we all care about. You have to be prepared that your opinions and your situation may anger other people, especially with a hot button subject as a shark in that small of a tank. Many, many, MANY (did I say many enough times?) people are going to be angry and bothered by the thoughts of putting any animals into that sort of a situation.

To the subject at hand.... just because your LFS greenlights something does NOT make it right.

I could tell you hundreds of stories of LFSs greenlighting seemingly foolish and moronic ideas. When I was 8 years old, for example, I discovered this firsthand when I was sold dyed red devils to go in my 10 gallon tank with neon tetras. Yes. You read that right. The LFS also told me the red devils were "parrotfish" (what I now know full well are actually hybrid red devil X severum). Not all LFSs are up to notch on animal husbandry and ethical animal husbandry, so you have to be really careful and use your best judgment, even if you have noble intentions of buying a larger tank eventually. In addition to that, LFSs are a business, and many will rush you into a sale by telling you things that are either complete fabrications or mere bending of the truth.

With this in mind, let's look at your situation again.

1.) Triggers tend to outgrow 60 gallon tanks rather quickly, establishing tough territory and often fighting. You're going to have to keep a big eye out for this.

2.) Triggers, eels, AND sharks are all predatory animals with large biomasses, meaning they tend to mess a tank much more quickly than other animals (even aside from waste production and excretion, just look at how tiggers feed- it's a super awesome act that I feel deserves a meat grinding sound effect). Install a huge skimmer, keep a well maintained refugium, and be super aggressive with water changes to combat this, as well as being uber careful to test, test, and test again to keep an eye on everything.

3.) Triggers tend to get "too big for their britches," and many will pester sharks by nipping. Cat sharks, particularly the bamboo, tend to be a bit of pushovers if the animal is fairly large and if they don't really have anywhere to go. This can result in some pretty harsh nips and abrasions. Keep your eyes peeled for any aggression towards the shark and be prepared to banish an offending trigger to a large sump or QT tank.

4.) If the triggers are rather small specimens, the opposite can happen, the shark may nip or attempt to eat the triggers. Again, be prepared to banish the triggers, as the shark really should get priority tank space. Why? Is it because I favor sharks over triggers? No. It's because, between the two types of animals, triggers are generally hardier animals, whereas sharks tend to be much more sensitive to water quality. A trigger will better deal with mediocre water quality in a QT tank than a shark.

5.) Feeding time is going to be interesting. Bamboo cats seem to fall into two categories as young. There are those which are absolute pigs who will eat everything in sight, and those who are like supermodels, refusing even the most desireable food stuffs. In the case of the pig-type-eaters, you shouldn't have a problem. But, in the case of a reluctant feeder, the triggers again could pose an issue as many triggers see no problem in snatching food from other animals, especially slow eaters.

6.) I hope you have a grounding probe in the tank already. If not, go get one and install it. Trust me. Worth its weight in gold, and then some!

7.) Be sure you have a sugar or powder fine substrate. Any gritty or coarse substrates can scuff and scratch the soft tummies of sharks, leaving red streaks and abrasions there. Ouch!

I think everything got covered in that mess, except for the fact that I must emplore you to go outfit yourself with the larger tank very soon or take the animal back. Sharks are not the best pet for newbies at all, often an impulse buy that end up wasting away and dying senselessly. If you must keep the animal, upgrade that tank, and soon, and please read up and research before purchasing anything else with the LFSs' advice alone.