Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids

Old 12/07/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

i have a picture of my sick little zoo...i have started with 2000mg of the plainest of plain vitamin C tablets...no sugars glutens, starches or any other junk just plain Vit C..

i too dropped them into my sump at the drain...thinking i am going to crush the pills up first though...to help it dissolve faster..

i will be adding 2000mg at night and additional 2000mg in the morning...kinda brunch time...i will try to keep them 12hrs apart..

i really hope the zoos turn around..i only have 6 polyps of these pinks...in two frags of three...one frag is fine (so far) the other is really hurting though.....

i guess i will post weekly with updates..
Old 12/07/2007, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

hmmm maybe i added too much...i will cut the dose tomorrow..i cant pull the pills out tonight i just put a wack of hand cream on my hands...spent a week in a pile of clay and concrete they are hurting bad..
Old 12/07/2007, 08:59 PM
Pufferkrazy!

I wouldn't crush them--you want them to dissolve slowly. Go by that article linked above for dosing instructions. 1 thing it can't stress enough is to RAISE THE DOSAGE SLOWLY!!! How big is your tank?
Old 12/07/2007, 09:04 PM
Pufferkrazy!

That article also says: "During this entire period you should not be using any chemical filtration media either (e.g. resins or pads). "

Do you think I should remove the Purigen too? I just put some fresh in there. I never considered it would be removing the Vit C.

Last edited by Pufferpunk; 12/07/2007 at 09:35 PM.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:28 PM
Registered Member

yeah i defiantely OD'd...doing WC now and then re buffering..

dambit...i cant even use a full tablet...mine are 500 mg and they say i only need to start with 125mg
Old 12/07/2007, 09:53 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Never jump the gun when dosing anything.
Old 12/07/2007, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

yeah i know better...strangely enough whether it was coincidence or not the red sluff / slime on the questionable zoos seemed to be breaking up...

here they are anyway...will update later...(the three closed ones)
Old 12/08/2007, 08:05 AM
Unregistered Member

those look like zoa spiders got to them?? good luck
Old 12/08/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

no spiders here...there is only three polyps i am sure i would be able to see those nasty little buggers plus i glued it to the rock so i know there is nothing under the frag either..

just some sort of redish brown slime on them..couple other colonies/ frags are also displaying this brown slime stuff...
Old 12/08/2007, 04:01 PM
Unregistered Member

I only run my skimmer about 1-2 days per week, because it is overkill for my system, and it went nuts today when I fired it up? Puffer has your skimmer been going crazy from the fillers in the C? No big deal I just dialed it back for about an hour then back to the normal setting. Just curious?? TIA
Old 12/08/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

i bought a no name brand of vitamin C

says it is derived from natural sources..and that..."this product is free from artificial colours, flavours, and preservatives, gluten, lactose, sodium, sugar, yeast and soy.." only thing it says is teach tablet contains 500mg of ascorbic acid...no other ingredients listed...i am sure there has to be something holding it all to gether..mind you they disolve in about 3 minutes..

my skimmer though relatively ineffective runs daily from 8am to 9pm...goes on and off with the actinics..because i cant stand listening to the stupid air pump while i sleep..it used to be on 24/7 but for some reason the airpump has this insanely loud buzzing sound to it now..

but as it is now the Vitmain C doesnt seem to be making my skimmer go nuts yet..

Last edited by NanoReefWanabe; 12/08/2007 at 11:31 PM.
Old 12/09/2007, 09:22 AM
Team RC Member

How much do you intend to add NanoReefWanabe?

MR
Old 12/09/2007, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

i think i will max at a 1500mg a day...

since i couldnt quarter the pills i just halved them and put one in...

today i put in a whole one...i will likely add a whole one tomorrow too...then 1.5 and likely by tuesday be adding 2 full pills...
then 2.5 pills for thursday, and friday i will be up to 3 full pills=1500mg..which will be a concentration of 60ppm..

i will try that for about a month...and hopefully the new year will bring new success to my suffering zoas..
Old 12/09/2007, 11:21 AM
Team RC Member

What in the ocean is a natural source of vitamin C? Non-ocean, it's yellow and orange citrus, orange veggies, etc. Why are krill orange, I wonder....hmmn.
A very, very interesting thread.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/09/2007, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

QUESTION..........I dont have a sump for my 29 gallon and my Zooanthids are my primary tank concern.

Any suggestions as to how to get the Vitamin C in my tank? Should I just drop a pill in there???
Old 12/09/2007, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

Also, can someone please figure out the dosage for me so i dont OD my tank. I cant seem to get the numbers right and I have a bunch of sick Zoa's that could use help ASAP.
Old 12/09/2007, 06:05 PM
Unregistered Member

I would read the link provided by pufferpunk-it breaks it down pretty easily. good luck!
Puffer I need to know what was up with your skimmer and the dosing??
PL
Old 12/10/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

tagging along
Old 12/10/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

I don't have a sump for my tank..........you think it will be ok if I let the Vitamin C tablet dissolve in the Carbon Holder inside my Biowheel filter or maybe I should just put the pill in the tank and let nature take its course?

Suggestions? Sorry if I'm being an idiot here, just wanna be careful
Old 12/10/2007, 02:52 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FragMan07
I don't have a sump for my tank..........you think it will be ok if I let the Vitamin C tablet dissolve in the Carbon Holder inside my Biowheel filter or maybe I should just put the pill in the tank and let nature take its course?

Suggestions? Sorry if I'm being an idiot here, just wanna be careful
That should be fine, I would put it after the carbon filter, wouldn't want it all to be taken right out of the water by the carbon.

Keep in mind this is not a time tested / proven method, those of us that are trying are just experimenting.

Nobody has experienced any negative results to their livestock yet, I guess alls I'm saying is do at your own risk
Old 12/10/2007, 02:54 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Instrustions in the above article say to remove carbon--I just took out my Purigen.
Old 12/10/2007, 02:58 PM
Registered Member

Yeh I noticed it said to remove all carbon and filter pads.

I know I've heard I dont need a biowheel or filter in there but I'm hesitant to turn it off completely

What's the carbon going to do if I keep it in?

I'm totally aware this is experimental but my Zooanthids are inexplicably not opening and I'm willing to try anything right now
Old 12/10/2007, 02:58 PM
Pufferkrazy!

My skimmer doesn't seem to go nuts from this (that I have noticed). No additives in my Vit C though. that article slao says to treat for 14 days & I'm going on 12 weeks now.
Old 12/10/2007, 03:00 PM
Pufferkrazy!

Quote:
Originally posted by FragMan07
Yeh I noticed it said to remove all carbon and filter pads.
I know I've heard I dont need a biowheel or filter in there but I'm hesitant to turn it off completely
What's the carbon going to do if I keep it in?
Carbon will remove the vitamin. You shouldn't need your Biowheel if you have enough LR & a skimmer would help too.
Old 12/10/2007, 03:02 PM
Registered Member

My skimmer is ok, I have enough LR.

I'm sorry, but I was told I needed a filter when i started my tank. Granted it's a Penguin Biowheel and nothing flashy, but I thought the filtering and the carbon was good for my tank since I dont have a sump.

OK, So Carbon will just neutralize the vitamin. Point taken.