Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/23/2007, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

algae help please!!!!

I am having a problem with algae or weeds on my live rock.I can't get it off with a tooth brush.It is rooted in to the rock.Some if it is green and some of it is a brown or maroon color.Has any one had this problem?If so how can I get rid of it?It is not very long but I am starting to see it on many rocks.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

pictures?
Old 12/23/2007, 10:21 PM
Premium Member

Pics would be good along with specs of a tank like water parameters, how long its been up,the life you have in it, lighting, how old are the bulbs, feeding routine, etc. The more info you supply the better we can help you here. Also what kind of flow do you have.
Old 12/23/2007, 10:44 PM
Premium Member

Well I can't give pics right now but it is a 125rr it has been set up for about a year now.It is a mixed reef.For flow the return is a mag 9.5.Iam running 2 modded maxijet 1200,1 seio 1100,1 korela no.4.For lighting I have 2 175w metal halides,1 250 hqi,and 2 160w vho for actinic.All bulbs are about 3 months old.
I am running a fuge with a lot of cheato.All parameters are in check.I use ro/di water.TDS has never been above 5.
I think I have a weak cleaning crew(about 30 hermits and 15 snails.
Old 12/24/2007, 11:52 AM
Registered Member

Phosphate reduction/ removal is most likely the answer. Get a refugium with Macro algae and get a phosphate reactor. At first you’ll need to change your Iron based media in thephosphate reactor more often. Your media will get saturated in 2 weeks or so depending upon how much is bound up in your rocks, tank, algae, etc. Use less media, change every 2 weeks. Use a great test kit like DD merk, Hack, Elos, or colormeter or send to AWT.

You must export the same or more nutrients than you put in. Overfeeding, tap water, high phosphate foods, etc. Use a phosphate reactor with some phosar or ROWA or whatever, and something to lower nitrates like a fuge, AZNO3, or whatever.

check out:
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-09/rhf/index.php

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/iss...st2003/chem.htm

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php
Old 12/24/2007, 11:52 PM
Premium Member

Thanks very much for the links.Lots of good reading.
Old 12/25/2007, 12:19 AM
Premium Member

raise your magnesium level then the algea will go away. Sea water level is around 1200-1300. It also help to keep the alk and cal stable.

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 12/25/2007, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

The question is, what kind of algae is it? If it is nasty hair algae, i wouldn't want it, but if it is a macro algae, it may be helpfull in cleaning your water. Do you not like the looks of it?
Old 12/25/2007, 01:19 AM
Registered Member

Re: algae help please!!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by wrenchhead
I am having a problem with algae or weeds on my live rock.I can't get it off with a tooth brush.It is rooted in to the rock.Some if it is green and some of it is a brown or maroon color.Has any one had this problem?If so how can I get rid of it?It is not very long but I am starting to see it on many rocks.
Try looking at Melev's site for ID. The maroon sounds like coralline. Let us know what kind of algae you have. Phosphates and nitrates are usually the fuel to other algaes.