Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/09/2006, 08:34 PM
The Clown of the Fish

Exclamation !!!HELP!!! Anemone Acting Weird

My RBTA has just shrunken to the size of a golf ball the second time in three days. I know that it is normal occasionally, but this is getting me worried. When I first put it in, it was high up in the tank, close to the light. Then it crawled throught the rocks to really weird spot where I could barely see it. I remove the rocks carefully so I could see it. Later it seemed that it moved further down the rocks, and it looked like it was slightly pinched between two rocks. I unpinched it, and an hour later it was shrunken. I thought, no big deal, I just disturbed it. Now, overnight (it puffed up again) it moved upside down on a rock and was happy for few hours, but then shrunk again. Here are some pics:

Sorry about the bad pics, had to get these quick. This pic shows where it started and where it ended. It started on the shelf rock below the bright reflection and moved to the left underneath the rock.

-I have it under a 175watt 6500K metal halide pendant. Probably time to replace.

-25gallon tank

-1 powerhead stirring the water (will it do this if there isn't enough flow)

-All parameters are good (I did not test phosphates and alkalinity because I don't have a test kit for them yet)
- amonia 0
- nitrate <5
- nitrite 0
- calcium 400
- pH 8.3
- temp 81

-My inhabitants are 2 clowns (which don't host the anemone), 11 hermit crabs, a coral-banded shrimp, and a feather duster.

-I have 30 lbs live rock.

WHAT SHOULD I DO?

"Sometimes if you do the job badly enough, you won't get asked to do it again" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 01/09/2006, 08:50 PM
Purveyor of Misguidance

How long have you had the anemone and the tank? If it is a relatively recent addition, the anemone may simply be egesting (pooping) material or could be re-exchanging water from its internal tissues with that of the surrouding water. This is very common for a new anemone and is usually nothing to worry about. If you have had it for a while, has it been fed? If so, what did you feed and when? Generally, as mentioned above, they shrink during egestion, which can take up to a day or so. If it takes longer and is CONTINUALLY shrunken for more than two to three days, then you should begin worrying.
Old 01/09/2006, 08:55 PM
Premium Member

First of all Stop trying to make it go where YOU want it to go that will never work! it will find a place where it is happy, it sounds like its stressed out
IMO Just let it be and let it find its home
without ever having felt sorry for itself.
D.H. Lawrence
Old 01/09/2006, 08:57 PM
The Clown of the Fish

Amphiprion - thanks for the reply. I have had the anemone less than a week. So if your theory is correct, which I hope it is, then I should have nothing to worry about. I fed it a krill shrimp a few days after I got it, it seemed to like it.

Any suggestions on why it is moving out of the light so much? Too much? Wrong frequency? Is it just stupid?

"Sometimes if you do the job badly enough, you won't get asked to do it again" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 01/09/2006, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Here is some reading for ya
The 65k may be why he is trying to get out of the light my rose did not like the 65k as well
http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf
without ever having felt sorry for itself.
D.H. Lawrence