Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What hard to find angel do you have
Bandit Angel 3 2.54%
Golden Pygmy Angel 3 2.54%
Colins Angel 6 5.08%
Hotumatuas Angel 0 0%
Interuptus Angel 9 7.63%
Joculator Angel 2 1.69%
Resplendent Angel 8 6.78%
Venustus Angel 3 2.54%
Blueline Angel 3 2.54%
Chrysurus Angel 5 4.24%
Conspicillatus Angel 9 7.63%
Multicolor Angel 7 5.93%
Peppermint Angel 49 41.53%
Kingi Angel 11 9.32%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07/06/2006, 06:02 PM
Registered Member

rarefish

I've seen justrarefish.com mentioned a couple of times on this thread. Does anyone have experience with them for rare angels?
Old 07/06/2006, 10:37 PM
Registered Member

I got my first Blueline and my Chrysurus from him. I would definitely do business with him again.
Old 07/17/2006, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

JCDelbeek, to answer the question you posted on the clipperton angel on page 9, I have heard of someone who has kept one in a personal tank. I found it on wetwebmedia. This guy kept it in a 4,000 gallon aquarium with a clarion, Holacanthus africanus, and numerous other oddities. He was also looking to purchase another clarion. If you would like to read it yourself go to wetwebmedia and go to the angelfish section. Go to the clarion FAQ's and scroll to the very bottom of the page, it is the last question,
Old 07/17/2006, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

JCDelbeek, to answer the question you posted on the clipperton angel on page 9, I have heard of someone who has kept one in a personal tank. I found it on wetwebmedia. This guy kept it in a 4,000 gallon aquarium with a clarion, Holacanthus africanus, and numerous other oddities. He was also looking to purchase another clarion. If you would like to read it yourself go to wetwebmedia and go to the angelfish section. Go to the clarion FAQ's and scroll to the very bottom of the page, it is the last question,
Old 07/17/2006, 11:42 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Angels ... that is Michael Gonzales ... I know of him and have spoken with him, his died ... and he has been trying to get another every since. Last I heard he was going to charter a float plane to go to Clipperton Island and collect them himself ... not sure if that scheme ever "flew" or not. :-)

Aloha!
Charles
Old 07/18/2006, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

I guess not many have this luck:

Peter
Old 07/18/2006, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Schmiedel
I guess not many have this luck:

I don't think you could rub it in any better than that!!!
Old 07/18/2006, 11:17 AM
Registered Member

Those resplendents are probably owned by RCT where they breed them
Old 07/18/2006, 11:28 AM
angelfish nut!

That image is not from RCT... I've been to visit Frank and he does not keep any coral... you could clearly see live hard corals in that image...

Peter, is that image related to the 2004 trip? Ah... what images...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 07/18/2006, 12:44 PM
Registered Member

what kind of angel is that? i love it
Old 07/18/2006, 12:48 PM
Registered Member

juvenile french angel, they get pretty big and lose their yellow stripes as they mature
Old 07/18/2006, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Charles, what else did Michael have in that impressive tank?
Old 07/18/2006, 01:17 PM
Registered Member

i dont think it is... or is it even younger than this picture here?

here is a juvie french:

the one i posted before has shorter fins and some blue on its underside

Last edited by jakaufman; 07/18/2006 at 01:44 PM.
Old 07/18/2006, 01:47 PM
POWERED by A200-1260

Quote:
Originally posted by jakaufman
i dont think it is... or is it even younger than this picture here?

here is a juvie french:

the one i posted before has shorter fins and some blue on its underside

looks more like a sub-adult french

SF 49ERS!!! SF GIANTS!!!
Old 07/18/2006, 02:07 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by jakaufman
or is it even younger than this picture here?

Both are French angels... the first one is just younger and the second is a subadult...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

What is recommended to the novice and what experienced reefers do are two different things.
Old 07/18/2006, 02:09 PM
POWERED by A200-1260

I would say that the Pepps have to be top 3 rarest. None has ever been known to exist in captivity in the US and are one of the most hardest to keep in captivity. I cannot speak for other countries like the UK or Japan because RARE angels and other RARE specimens are a lot easier to come by oppose to the US market.

The Hotumatuas I have actually seen and I have seen them at a LFS in my area as well as some of the rarest angels available. Great fish to have and not too pricey but not very hardy in captivity as well and looses the nice colors once it is adult.

The last time I have seen the Clarions was when I went to visit a member in the bay who had 3 of them as well as 3-4 GemTangs and the a RARE hog (looks like a large pepperming hog)

I would definitely agree that the KINGII is one of the rarest as well as the CLips but there is one angel that is pretty rare and it comes from the Queensland Coast and The Great Barrier Reef and thats the personifer/conspics Hybrid. I have called on the fish for a price a few years ago and was given the price of $3K which is not bad for such a rare piece.

SF 49ERS!!! SF GIANTS!!!
Old 07/18/2006, 02:37 PM
angelfish nut!

Quote:
Originally posted by copps
Both are French angels... the first one is just younger and the second is a subadult...
Elaborating on this, the closest relative to a French is P. arcuatus... known as the gray or black angel... adults are much more drab than adult French angels, but when young they are both vibrant... Here is a small P. arcuatus... the easy way to tell them apart is the clear square margin on the tail of the grey, as opposed to the rounded yellow margin on the tail of the French...

Just like queen and blues these two hybridize... Martin Moe produced grey/french hybrids by fertilizing grey eggs with french males, as a result of female french angels being harder to find... Of all produced, this was the whackiest abnormality... note the combination of grey/french traits...

On a side note that was just mentioned earlier... here's an image of a meredithii/conspic hybrid...

Attention to detail!

Just say NO to detritus

Old 07/18/2006, 02:46 PM
Pimping the Lady Boys

Fishsoldeptrtly,
Where did ya see hotumatuas, and what is not pricey?
Do you know of anybody selling them now? Im looking for them for quite some time.
Old 07/18/2006, 02:47 PM