Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/20/2007, 05:49 PM
RC Sponsor

Location: Fringes of the REEF and cultural desert Arkansas, USA
Ya this ones too expensive ... fingers crossed
Old 09/20/2007, 09:41 PM
Registered Member

I've read all 15 pages...Tank is coming along very nicely. I'm liking the micromussa garden.
Old 09/20/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

holy clam!!! that is one huge clam. good luck with it...dont even wanna know what you paid for it.
Old 09/21/2007, 08:40 AM
RC Sponsor

HAHA Thanks guys... The majority if the Micromussa Garden live in the prop tanks so that no one bothers them... I have been slowely transfering an occational frag into the big tank just for fun.. Yes That clam is like none I had ever seen before! WOW you read all 15 pages Thats cool I hope that I did not bore you Thanks so much for the compliments guys.
Old 09/21/2007, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

Man Chris i have to come over to see that clam be four long

Next meeting at Doc's house LOL

You can find me with the little red house
Old 09/25/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

That clam make me think about that movie, Little Shop of Horrors!!
Old 09/25/2007, 05:25 PM
RC Sponsor

Yes I keep wanting to hear it say FEED ME SEYMORE!
Old 09/27/2007, 04:22 PM
Mullet Hunter

Amazing tank! Best I've seen in a while. Imagine what that thing will look like in a year or so.

Ludwig van Beethoven
Old 10/14/2007, 06:34 PM
RC Sponsor

Hello Everyone,

Sorry so long with out an update... I knew if I updated wothout pics I would be Chastised so here we go...

I recently added a really nice vent fan to help the dehumidifier out some... The dehumdifier is pulling 75pts every 24 hrs and still couldnt keep up... After adding the vent fan though its noght and Day Better!

Here is the Fan I choose

Hole cut Inside

Siding work outside

Vent cover added outside

Finished look inside

And then I had to treat myself to a New Acro Yellow tips and nice pink body
Old 10/14/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

Hey doc looking good.

WHat were some of your symptoms with high humidity. I had to leave for work for a little the I had to work on my little ones room. I am ready to get back to my tank. I bought a little 70 cfm that I was going to put in cieling above the MH's. I was also thinking on adding something else like your but wanted to get my tank up and going before my son was born.

I am wondering what it will be like with 400 gallons of water in my house. I have a 150 with a 30sump and no trouble with it. The new system will be double. I guess I will just see what happens. I have just heard some scarry stories..

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 10/15/2007, 07:02 AM
RC Sponsor

Eric,

I use the Centrifical fans housed in my Lightrack to evaporate and cool the big tank.. When Humidity is high evaporation is in efficient and as a result temps increase... I also have ALOT of very expensive woodworking in the rooms near the tank and also some even in the "Lab" so as I had originally thought that the big 75pt. Dehumidifyer was going to have it all I found that it really needed some help. High humidity can cause mold behind your drywall, warp wood, cause premature failure of electronics AGGG! and a whole host of other problems.. YES your tank will be large enough that this will be an issue for you also...
Easily solved by :

#1 Dehumidifyer
#2 Ventilation

The thing that really let me know the room need the vent was I work in there alot an found that I was not sweating er cooling myself well and it was uncomfortable.

Your tank build is going well I am excited to see more... Good luck
Old 10/15/2007, 07:15 AM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

1620 cfm!

Now that's a vent fan!

Did they post a noise rating on the box?
Old 10/15/2007, 09:12 AM
RC Sponsor

No I was actually very worried about that LOL... But once intalled I cant even hear it over all of the pumps ect.. Very Quite UMM by Comparison I would not want it runing in my living room or anything BUT for the "LAB" it is perfect!
Old 10/15/2007, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Hows everything in the tank doing.. any pics?
Old 10/15/2007, 12:44 PM
RC Sponsor

I just added the Acro above I will get some more pics this week
Thanks
Old 10/24/2007, 08:43 AM
RC Sponsor

PH Crash?

Ph is usually @ 8.0 and the effluent of the reactor is usually at 6.5

My problem lies in the following paragraph... BUT WHY?
Tank is usually perfectly controlled by Aquacontroller (LOL my bad I had disconnected the Co2 from control) Why do I need the Co2 on a control circut when the PH is ALWAYS perfect? (<--- Rhetorical question LOL)

Anyway last night the log shows a steady PH fall starting at 2200 until I saw it this am @ 0700 the PH of the tank was 7.35! AGGGGGG!

OK so all of the livestock look perfect.... (I hope they stay that way) I found that the reactors feed tube had become clogged from some algea where the tube passes near a light... thus the secondary effluent drip had stopped BUT the primary had continued.. The effluent PH was still at 6.5, My tank Alkalinity had climbed from the usual 4.5 to 5.5

OK so here is my question?

Why do you think the PH crashed so hard? the Effluent was still @ 6.5 flowing slower BUT stilll flowing?

Anyway I am now slowley returning the PH to normal with the Klak drip turned up more than usual... the PH as I write this is 7.55

Do you think that the clogged feed tube could cause that major of a drop? I mean it still flowed just at a drip rather than a flow?
Old 10/24/2007, 09:35 AM
Premium Member

if the effluent slowed and the bubble rate stayed the same then the effluent ph would have dropped, along with the normal drop in ph during the night may account for it

I would double check your ph with a test kit
Old 10/24/2007, 10:30 AM
RC Sponsor

Yes I double checked with 2 meters and then also did the standard Chemical PH test kit same readings... I figured that the Effluent PH should have dropped also because the bubble rate stayed up ? The primary effluent drip did continue to drop though... just slower and the secondary stopped

So ODD
Old 10/24/2007, 10:57 AM
Premium Member

was your skimmer on? a precipitous drop in ph without adding anything to the system would probably be CO2 related, ie rising CO2 level causing a drop in ph. this could be from either poor aeration or something dying in the tank.
Old 10/24/2007, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

thats one big clam. love the tank. the rock/backing is amazing. wish i could do sumthing like that :P but my tanks arents even as big as ur sump :P good work. looking amazing
Old 10/24/2007, 07:10 PM
RC Sponsor

Thank you new world Very nice to say

Yes Elliot the Skimmer is very large and runs 24/7

I have reattached the Co2 to the Aquacontroller so that if the Ph drops below 7.8 it cuts off But I just have not decided that is what caused the problem? Like I said the Effluent was still at 6.5 dripping much slower but stiil not that much more acidic... the Ph is back up to 8.0 8.1 today... I just hate not knowing what caused it?

Thanks for the input though guys
Old 10/24/2007, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

could there have been excess C02 in the room? if the surrounding air was not well ventilated it could drop the ph significantly and rapidly

leaky CO2 valve, car exhaust, furnace malfunction, poor ventilation, etc.
Old 10/24/2007, 09:25 PM
RC Sponsor

Each of those are good thoughts? Your history taking skillz are very adept But ventilation is good.... furnace is realatively new(5 years) and just had its yearly cleaning and check up... great ventilation... no exhaust... I am stumped but it seems fine for now LOL I just hate not knowing
Old 10/25/2007, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Love, love, love your tank. The foam looks amazing. I like the aquascaping, particularly the arch. I like the fact that it's not crammed with rock from top to bottom. I think I would grow some GSP across the back if it were mine. Your fish selection is beautiful. They all look so healthy.
I was wondering how deep your sand bed is and what type of sand did you use?
I had my house built with a large tank in mind. I have three extra 20 amp circuits wired into what was going to be the fish room as well as a floor drain, exhauset fan and Sun Tunnels. Then some life circumstances came up delaying it and now we decided to sell the house. Oh well. I can plan even better now for the next house I guess. I will definitely be checking back to this post for more ideas.
Old 10/26/2007, 01:48 PM
Premium Member

Hey Doc, I've been following your thread for quite a while. An excellent and informative read, I must say.

If there is an excess of CO2 in your room, get yourself some houseplants and put them in there. They'll THRIVE in that environment, and utilize any excess CO2 in the air.

I wish you luck on figuring out the PH problem!

-Paul