Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 11:37 PM
TRC Leader

I wonder if my tang would look different if I used the flash. I'll have to try that some time. Maybe it is a night shot when the fish is at rest.

Tucker did some serious damage, and the Yellow Belly Hippos I used to have would move corals or splash MH lighting. One by one, they were given away.
Old 01/02/2008, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

I'd either go with the Powder Brown or Purple.

My Dad has a powder brown in his tank, he also has a hippo (along with a Sohal, a Yellow, and a Sailfin). The powder brown is, i have to say his favorite tang because of its "spunk" and the coloration its added to the tank.
Old 01/02/2008, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverfin
he powder brown is, i have to say his favorite tang because of its "spunk" and the coloration its added to the tank.
It's funny you say that. I'm worried the brown might be a bit drab, but there isn't much else in the tank that is brown!

Well, I guess I've officially eliminated the hippo tang!
Old 01/02/2008, 12:42 AM
Premium Member

What is the difficulty level for the powder browns? I haven't had a tang yet, so I don't want to get an 'expert only' fish.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

Medium difficulty. I was doing research on this topic, comparing powder browns to the purple tang, and a couple of books and sites have said that a powder brown is somewhat difficult to acclimate, and may be shy at first when introduced. However, it makes a great addition to the reef aquarium once acclimated. "The Purple tang", as i have read, "is easy to acclimate, but will fight fiercely with members of its own kind and other tangs. Should be the last fish introduced into the community tank, unless housed with large, equally belligerent species."("Marine Fish" by Scott W. Micheal)

The aquarium suitability for Purple Tangs is barely easier for Powder Browns. I was researching the diet, size, and health, and both species of tang are in relation to the requirements.

Hoped this helped....
Old 01/02/2008, 02:23 AM
Wonder Twins ACTIVATE!

you've inspired me to actually get off my bum and post my holiday 50 to 90g move pics tell me what you think jcp

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...6#post11502656

Ever been 158mph on a bike with your wife riding with you? You could tear off the dented pieces of skin with her fingerprints on them.

It's not a bike if it's not over a liter
Old 01/02/2008, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

The powder brown is very interesting to watch, very active. The cleaner shrimp should help with ick issues.
Old 01/02/2008, 03:55 AM
Registered Member

My vote for the purple tang . I like the powder brown but not sure if it will get too big eventually or not? otherwise its a nice fish and ive seen both and think they are both 'pretty'.
Old 01/02/2008, 04:05 AM
Registered Member

The Purple is actually supposed to get bigger than the Powder Brown.

Powder Brown: maximum of 8.3 inches
Purple Tang: maximum of 9.8 inches
Old 01/02/2008, 04:05 AM
TRC Leader

Get a Potters Angel.
Old 01/02/2008, 09:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Medium difficulty. I was doing research on this topic, comparing powder browns to the purple tang, and a couple of books and sites have said that a powder brown is somewhat difficult to acclimate, and may be shy at first when introduced. However, it makes a great addition to the reef aquarium once acclimated. "The Purple tang", as i have read, "is easy to acclimate, but will fight fiercely with members of its own kind and other tangs. Should be the last fish introduced into the community tank, unless housed with large, equally belligerent species."("Marine Fish" by Scott W. Micheal)
That's exactly the kind information I'm looking for. Thank you!
Old 01/02/2008, 09:14 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
The Purple is actually supposed to get bigger than the Powder Brown.

Powder Brown: maximum of 8.3 inches
Purple Tang: maximum of 9.8 inches
That's surprising! Of course, I'd rather get one that remains a smaller size. +1 more for the brown!
Old 01/02/2008, 09:16 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Get a Potters Angel.
I'll have to take a look - I don't know if you're serious, or if I'll be creating a "Tucker Trap" within a few weeks!
Old 01/02/2008, 09:54 AM
Registered Member

Just make sure you get a powder brown japonicus which are easy to take care of and not a nigricans which are hard to take care of. You posted a pic of the good one. It has the red on it and a larger white spot on the face where the other one has a small white spot and is more black. My vote goes for the powder brown but both are good fish. I think if you saw a powder brown you would be amazed by how colorful it is. Pics don't really do it justice. With the purples... the pic you showed is probably a juvinile it seems with age they loose all the striping and get very dark in the middle of their body but keep some striping around the edges. I had a very small one 2" and it looked like that but had a deeper purple color. Either way you will be happy.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

tcmfish - thanks for the info.

Well, I'm going to go with the Powder Brown. Thank you all for the VERY helpful information! That has to be the most peaceful tang-talk I've seen on RC!

Old 01/02/2008, 10:21 AM
Girls Rule!

Good choice!
Old 01/02/2008, 01:19 PM
Registered Member

Well when you go looking for fish, a GREAT place to go get fish is Aquatic Specialties in Kenner right off Williams Blvd.

Let me tell you, I LOVE this shop!
Very honest, helpful, and expierienced people all in one shop!
I shop here for most of my stuff (actually- all my stuff)!

They are reasonably priced.
All their fish/ corals are all very healthy!

Go check them out (if you haven't gone already), you will not be disappointed!

(I sometimes go just to look at what they have, if I'm not buying anything, but I jut cannot help myself- I end up leaving every time with something!).

If you go, tell them Amanda sent you. They will know me! I have the 12 gallon aquapod and the 65 gallon that I'm working on right now!
Old 01/02/2008, 02:01 PM
Premium Member

crt81 - Thanks for the recommendation. Aquatic is really the only place I feel comfortable buying livestock from in this area. They're extremely helpful.
Old 01/02/2008, 02:21 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
I'll have to take a look - I don't know if you're serious, or if I'll be creating a "Tucker Trap" within a few weeks!
I just thought it would be funny to toss in a random fish in the middle of all this tang talk.

The Potter's Angel is a gorgeous fish, one I've wanted for a long time. If I ever find a pretty one, I think I'm going to add it to my reef. I've had a Flame Angel and a Coral Beauty, but I'd really like to get a Potters because of their coloration.

http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_...pcatid=453&N=0
Old 01/02/2008, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
crt81 - Thanks for the recommendation. Aquatic is really the only place I feel comfortable buying livestock from in this area. They're extremely helpful.

Well, that's exactly how I feel!

There are certain places to avoid when buying a fish, especially a tang:
I don't know if you have ever been to Rick's, but if I were you, I would completely avod going there for the tang! He WILL NOT sell it to you!
Rick only sell things that he feels is acceptable for you to have. If he feels that a certain item/creature will not be cared for he will tell you NO, even though he doesn't know what you are capable of! And a word of advice, tank size does matter to him! If you say you want to have a tang in a 90g, he will give you a look like he wants to pick you up by your shorts and toss you on the curb right into on going traffic!!!
-Now I'm not bashing Rick, but I'm only stating the truth!
Old 01/02/2008, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Nice choice, i also love the Powdern Brown. I have a buddy of mine that has one (90 gallon tank) and he looks awsome.... and they are a lot more colorfull in person than in camera.
-
and like NanoGurl stated, they do like to go in and out of caves a lot
Old 01/02/2008, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

i also say nice choice i think he will looks great in there
Old 01/02/2008, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Well, when I feel the time is right and I can locate one (or dive into the online-world), I'll make sure to immediately post pics of all of it!
Old 01/02/2008, 05:06 PM
Registered Member

Ok so I just got done skimming through your thread here and all I can say is WOW. I wish I could get my wife excited about the fish tank like yours. The dog gets way more attention then me from her.

It seems that I am too late. I would have recomended the purple tang. My buddy has one and it is awesome.
Old 01/02/2008, 05:46 PM
Registered Member

cannarella, I know I know,

Between Nanogurl and jcpatella's wife, I'm sitting here contemplating if I should call Dr. Robin (you know the Oprah show) or perhaps Dr. Phil and seek advice on the situation. For many years I had thought girls, reefing and excitement (all in the same sentence) was a myth, but pictures prove me wrong. Does anyone have a time machine?