Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/21/2007, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

Wow!!! Check these out!!!

http://www.diamondsinthereef.com/NewReleases.html

Old 05/21/2007, 08:16 AM
Registered Member

it's kinda sad they are chopping these colonies up. I would have bought that 2 colour colony if it hadn't already been sold to these guys.
Old 05/21/2007, 05:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by andrewkw
it's kinda sad they are chopping these colonies up. I would have bought that 2 colour colony if it hadn't already been sold to these guys.
At those prices though, a colony would be over $5,000. Ouch
Old 05/21/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

wow those are som crazy prices!!! i just dont get the acan craze??
Old 05/21/2007, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

Those are some nice pieces but i agree with andrewkw. I think its really sad to chop up those nice colonies into 1 head pieces. Those prices are ridiculous and pure greed,imo. Those prices should be for 4-5 heads not 1.
Old 05/21/2007, 08:57 PM
Limestone cowboy

Yes it is a sad thing, My bet is soon the prices will be much more respectable, and the shops will go on to something else.
The price thing isnt that bad really, Look now we can see them here. If it wasnt money driven no one would want to push getting them in. Sood demand will catch up and prices will get better for the rest of us. I don't hate, I Just have to wait.
Old 05/21/2007, 09:00 PM
Makin it Rain

Quote:
Originally posted by sufunk
Those are some nice pieces but i agree with andrewkw. I think its really sad to chop up those nice colonies into 1 head pieces. Those prices are ridiculous and pure greed,imo. Those prices should be for 4-5 heads not 1.
Sufunk
just to let you know Clint is one of the Nices people you will ever meet he is very generous his frags are always very large. i have seen these peices in person and the are insane nices i have ever seen. i know he payed a lot for those colonys. Clint always has the nices stuff around.
Old 05/21/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

I'm sure he is very nice but i highly doubt he paid anywhere near $150-250 A HEAD for those colonies. They are very nice but like i said seems a shame to just chop up those amazing colonies to make some extra$$$$. At least make them 4-5 head frags instead of just a chopshop, but $150+ a head for those is more than a little outrageous, IMO

p.s- not sure how generous his frags could be I'm sure they are just 1 head. I highly doubt hes throwing in extra heads for $150-250 a head.
Old 05/21/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brianbigoats
Sufunk
just to let you know Clint is one of the Nices people you will ever meet he is very generous his frags are always very large. i have seen these peices in person and the are insane nices i have ever seen. i know he payed a lot for those colonys. Clint always has the nices stuff around.
Actually, lets call a spade a spade. Maybe i am naive and completely wrong. If so, please tell me but i think this is total bs. The only reason those are chopped up and priced per polyp is for profit. NO WAY he paid anywhere near 5-10 thousand $$$ per colony, no way. Those are 40-50 head or more colonies, at 150-250 a head, that would make those colonies worth 5-10k apiece. No one and i mean noone would have the balls to attempt to charge that so they break it up and charge insane by the head prices.

Like i said, maybe i am wrong but i would be willing to bet that he didnt pay more than $1000-1500 for any of those colonies $2000 absolute tops. By breaking them up by the head, they sell for 5-10k a colony. Thats quite a markup
Old 05/21/2007, 10:45 PM
Makin it Rain

i know that he paid alot for some of those colonys 3000+ its also his bussiness look at some other sites selling Aus Acans you will find simialr price per head i know that Clint got the best of the best. if no one would pay that price then he could not sell them for that(Supply and Demand basic economics) i know that he will keep most of the coloneys mainly intact just selling a limited # of heads he is not a chop shop. High end corals demand high end prices. if you can't afford those price don't pay them you have a choice.
PS. personal attacks on people are not nice when they can't defend themselves you should check yourself.
Old 05/21/2007, 10:54 PM
Registered Member

i'm so glad the prices aren't like that here... I just picked up a nice dark green and white piece with about 8-10 polyps for less then one of these polyps, although that is on the very low end of pricing and not as nice as these. I am however a little more thrilled i was able to get colonies as nice as these at what now seems like a much better price considering how much they are being resold for.

I think once places in the us import their own instead of importing from canada the prices in the us will drop. I doubt that will effect pricing here much though.
Old 05/21/2007, 11:45 PM
Moved On

The prices may be high but look how awesome they are. The other lords and micros from Japan are selling for 200+ for ones that do not look 1/2 as nice as these. Plus these are legal. There is no risk of getting busted selling or buying them. Look at the colors. They are insane.
Old 05/22/2007, 12:06 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by brianbigoats
i know that he paid alot for some of those colonys 3000+ its also his bussiness look at some other sites selling Aus Acans you will find simialr price per head i know that Clint got the best of the best. if no one would pay that price then he could not sell them for that(Supply and Demand basic economics) i know that he will keep most of the coloneys mainly intact just selling a limited # of heads he is not a chop shop. High end corals demand high end prices. if you can't afford those price don't pay them you have a choice.
PS. personal attacks on people are not nice when they can't defend themselves you should check yourself.
I doubt he even paid 3k for any of those colonies but if he did, then those are the 50-75 head colonies he is beaking up for $150-250 a head. Those are monstrous profits! If he can get that and people are willing to pay it , great, But dont make him out to be some great guy for selling acans for over $150 a head. That aint exactly helping this hobby.

I doubt he is keeping those high end colonies "mostly intact" as you say. I have a weird feeling he will sell every $200 head that is ordered and keep just enough to grow back out for future fragging.

I'm not attacking him personally other than to say he is making INSANE profits off of those acans. If thats not true, he can certainly defend himself here.

I could afford those if i wanted but would never pay those prices to have something shipped to me. Your right , i have a choice to buy them or not just like I have a choice to voice my opinion about their price on here
Old 05/22/2007, 12:38 AM
Registered Member

Fragfarmer has some nice ones at a better price.
Old 05/22/2007, 01:34 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by MG21
Those are awesome. They def all have nice ones. I think there are 2 that diamonds in the reef has that blow all the others away though.
Old 05/22/2007, 01:35 AM
Registered Member

Thats the problem here on RC. People tend to judge others and assume way too much. I have personally dealt with Clint in the past and he is a very good person and his corals are top notch. The price of the lords he is selling is the current market price. It does not matter how much he paid for them and what the market will be in a few months. It seems like a debate from skimmer, to lights, to corals, to zeovit or not, etc.... It is a hobby by choice and buy what you like or can afford.
Old 05/22/2007, 01:44 AM
Moving Along

In all reality those colonies were bought for between 200-500 bucks a piece.

There is an overhead that wasnt put into the equation though. We wont mention the insane power bills Clint must get especially during these warm Cali springs, let alone the summer months.

Also, just because every pretty polyp may be on a plug ready to go for 100-200 a piece doesnt mean one's phone is off the hook with orders either. Another product of supply and demand.

There is a reason why this happens. And diamondsinthereef didnt start it, that's for sure. Maybe one day, all these retailers will get there heads out of the clouds and reduce the price, they would gain more business in turn sacrificing nothing at all. One can dream anyway

-Justin
Old 05/22/2007, 03:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Actually, lets call a spade a spade. Maybe i am naive and completely wrong. If so, please tell me but i think this is total bs. The only reason those are chopped up and priced per polyp is for profit. NO WAY he paid anywhere near 5-10 thousand $$$ per colony, no way. Those are 40-50 head or more colonies, at 150-250 a head, that would make those colonies worth 5-10k apiece. No one and i mean noone would have the balls to attempt to charge that so they break it up and charge insane by the head prices.

Like i said, maybe i am wrong but i would be willing to bet that he didnt pay more than $1000-1500 for any of those colonies $2000 absolute tops. By breaking them up by the head, they sell for 5-10k a colony. Thats quite a markup
You are assuming that he is selling the enitre colony. Most likely he made just a few frags for the moment.

Quote:
[B] No one and i mean noone would have the balls to attempt to charge that so they break it up and charge insane by the head prices.[B]
You're an attorney you should be used to this.
Old 05/22/2007, 05:10 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MG21
Dark Lord Coral too. Those prices are crazy!
Old 05/22/2007, 06:15 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Beccas_dad
Dark Lord Coral too. Those prices are crazy!
Wow, those are nice too.
Old 05/22/2007, 06:37 AM
Moved On

Quote:
[i]

You're an attorney you should be used to this. [/B]
wow! AND THERE'S YOUR SPADE!
Old 05/22/2007, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
I'm sure he is very nice but i highly doubt he paid anywhere near $150-250 A HEAD for those colonies.
You really an attorney? Because it seems you truly don't understand business. Why on earth would he spend 150-250 a head and then resell at the same price.....man o man, you guys want everything for free!

Check out Eden's Gate corals as well, Larry has been getting some nice Aussie lords in as well....but again, you'll get what you pay for....which is how it should be ;-)
Old 05/22/2007, 07:53 AM
Registered Member.

You guys all want cheap coral. Im sure your local LFS has alot of green and brown for you. You want these crazy colors you are have to get these from one of these guys. Clint is a stand up guy. Bought great stuff from him in the past and he is no ripoff guy or chopshop. I guess you people can just wait for it to get to your local shops.
Old 05/22/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tacocat
You are assuming that he is selling the enitre colony. Most likely he made just a few frags for the moment.

You're an attorney you should be used to this.
No, i'm not assuming hes selling the whole colony. I know he isnt and thats the point. He will sell these for outrageous per head prices and make about 750-1000% profit and still keep a nice size colony to chop up in another 6 months for more insane profit. Dont tell me what a great stand up guy he is when hes gouging people for $250 a head on acans. Just because people will pay that doesnt make it right

Dont tell me he isnt ripping people off or a chopshop. He's selling ACANS per head for $150-250. Per head, thats a chopshop. I know people will pay it but people will pay $5k to get a playstation3 right away.

If you think people charging $250 a head for acans they probably paid $25 a head for is helping this hobby , then by all means help out your buddy clint. Say whatever you want about him but i'd bet anything he is making at least 500% profit including overhead and still keeping a 20+ head colony of each to chop up in 3-6 months. IMO, thats bad business and not a stand up guy.

p.s- i have no problem quoting my clients a price because its a FAIR PRICE. I'm not embarassed to give a quote to handle your case, lets see him have the sack to ask $5000-10000 for one of those colonies. People would laugh and you and he know it! Selling by the head makes it seem like he isnt ripping you off completely..... but it just seems that way
Old 05/22/2007, 09:27 AM
Moved On

Quote:
No, i'm not assuming hes selling the whole colony. I know he isnt and thats the point. He will sell these for outrageous per head prices and make about 750-1000% profit and still keep a nice size colony to chop up in another 6 months for more insane profit. Dont tell me what a great stand up guy he is when hes gouging people for $250 a head on acans. Just because people will pay that doesnt make it right

Dont tell me he isnt ripping people off or a chopshop. He's selling ACANS per head for $150-250. Per head, thats a chopshop. I know people will pay it but people will pay $5k to get a playstation3 right away.

If you think people charging $250 a head for acans they probably paid $25 a head for is helping this hobby , then by all means help out your buddy clint. Say whatever you want about him but i'd bet anything he is making at least 500% profit including overhead and still keeping a 20+ head colony of each to chop up in 3-6 months. IMO, thats bad business and not a stand up guy.

p.s- i have no problem quoting my clients a price because its a FAIR PRICE. I'm not embarassed to give a quote to handle your case, lets see him have the sack to ask $5000-10000 for one of those colonies. People would laugh and you and he know it! Selling by the head makes it seem like he isnt ripping you off completely..... but it just seems that way
this really is a silly argument. This is a supply and demand driven hobby on many levels. It's as simple as that, and that's pretty simple. Prices drop with everything over time based on what? Yes, the obvious.
And if he asked the 5k-10k, where's the harm? It doesn't take a pair of stones to ask for higher $$$ amounts. If someone doesn't want it, who are you as the self-appointed morale police to dictate capitalism? geez... as a sidenote, I would never pay that much (okay, maybe I would for a few polyps), but it's on me for buying it, not him for selling it.