Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/26/2006, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

Sounds great Paul. No biggy. Just PM me your number and I will try to remember myself

Adam
Old 09/27/2006, 07:02 AM
Registered Member

Hey all following along. Just wanted to keep things update and fresh so I thought I would let you know how the newest additions are doing. The candy cane colony and the two candy cane heads have been doing great. It's really amazing how they "grow" in size when the lights come on and how puffy they are getting. Guess that's a good sign that I have them in the right spot

The frogspawn has been looking great as well. There was a day there where it was all shrunken down a bit til I feed the fish but it was probably the largest it's been last night. I followed Paul's advice and went out and bought a good ol' $1.00 turkey baster and target fed them last night and the night before. I just dropped some Selcon in the water shortly after lights out and then just waited a good 15-20 minutes. I just mixed up some zooplankton (I got 3 jars of this stuff from a sale on Drs. F&S), some selcon, and some Formula 2 pellets. I let that sit for a while in my feeding dish (not to be confused by my cereal bowl ). I then just placed the turkey baster over each of the corals and just let gently blew it on them from above. I let them sit like that and "marinate" in that for a good 30 minutes before turning the skimmer and jets back on. Seems like a lot stuck on the frogspawn some I'm guessing when I get back this evening he will be all puffed up and expanded. I'm not sure how much the candy canes took in but I think they should have gotten some since they usually have their feeders out and eagerly waiting.

I'll let you know how they look when I get home this evening. I'm still simply amazed at these corals. They are just amazing organisms.

Adam
Old 09/27/2006, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

Oh yeah, before I forget....the xenia and blue anthelia are both spreading on the rock rubble that they are attached to. They have been in my tank for almost 3 weeks or more now and they have already started growing extra "heads."
Old 09/28/2006, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

....crickets chirping in the background.... Just wanted to see if anyone was still following this

Sorry there haven't been all that many updates but things have been doing great and I haven't really added or changed anything over the past couple of days.

I do have a couple of questions though about lighting. I might be changing it up in the future (2-3 weeks) and wanted to get some suggestions. I am planning on sticking with T5 HOs to start off with. I don't really have any corals in mind that would need MH so I'm scratching that off the list right away. Right now I am running without a sump (thus have the skimmer HOB) so I was looking at various complete systems that either sit on top of the tank or are suspended. I live in an apartment complex so I won't be able to drill any holes in the ceiling (I don't think that would get me my security deposit back after moving out ). I have been looking all over the place at different systems including: Nova Extreme (the 200+ watt version with 4 bulbs and 48" long), the Current lights, Tek5 lights (the 4 watt jobby do), etc. The only problem that I'm running into is that I really like how the Tek5 (sold on Hellolights.com) has single parabolic reflectors for each bulb but there aren't legs for it so I'm not sure how I could suspend it.

I was thinking about heading down to a hydroponic store (no, not for that ) to see if they had some sort of metal stand that I could put over the tank and then suspend them that way. Either that, or I guess I could rig up something with some spare egg crate I have laying around.

Besides the fixture, if I went with say the Tek5 fixture, what lights do you all suggest I have them include?

Hopefully I'll get some responses since I'm interested in hearing some suggestions and experiences that you all have. I would go retrofit but I'm not planning a canopy (skimmer just won't help matters).

Thanks

Adam
Old 09/28/2006, 10:43 AM
Reef Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by divecj5
I am planning on sticking with T5 HOs to start off with. I don't really have any corals in mind that would need MH so I'm scratching that off the list right away.
I hate to break it to you, but actually a full bank of T5s above a tank are (IMHO) relatively equivelent to Metal Hallides. In some cases, actually, people show MORE coral growth, etc. Of course, there are always a million factors involved, so nothing can be said definatively.

Anyhow, I think you will be VERY happy with T5 HO lighting. A bank of 4 above that tank will do fine. In fact, honestly, 3 would be fine as well. Of course, you're not going to find 3 bulb fixture...

As for the types of lights to include.... Best coral growth will likely result from colors along the line of 6500K to 10000K. These are most often thought of as daylight bulbs. Many do not like the less blue, more yellow color of these bulbs. For that matter, you then should add some actinic bulbs. For some reason, actinics are measured in nanometers (nm) rather then Kelvin.

Anyhow, for a 4 bulb fixture, I would recommend 2 10000K bulbs and 2 actinic bulbs. Actinics often come in 420 or 460 nm bulbs. I recommend the more blue ones, as the others are more purple. Unfortunately, I don't freaking remember which is which. I'd guess that the 460 are the more blue bulbs. (maybe someone else can clarify for me)

And yes, the individual parabolic reflectors are critical for the usage of T5s.

RK: Where only bad things happen fast...

CRAZY 4 the CRASE - Oct 13, 2007
Conf for Reef Aquarists and SW Enthusiasts
Google it - Search for: craseokc
Old 09/28/2006, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the response Paul. Yeah, I didn't want to come out and say that I understand that T5 HO can be just as powerful growth-wise.

I will probably end up going with this Fixture since it has single reflectors for each bulb. I'm still not sure how I would go about suspending it above the tank (the whole "DO NOT DRILL CEILING THING") but I'm sure that I could rig something up for it.

What is the difference between actinic + and Pure Actinic? I'm guessing this is where the whole 420 and 460 nm business comes in

I have been pretty happy from the T5s I have now but they are really kind of low quality and don't have very good reflectors. I'm looking for some lighting that I won't have to worry about whether my softies, LPS, and zoas (all in the future) are gettting enough.
Old 09/28/2006, 10:58 AM
Reef Fanatic

Before you spend money, let's here what you have right now. That money would probably be better spent on Live Rock or water flow.

Honestly, lighting is much less important the issues such as water flow and water quality. Why don't we talk a bit first about what sort of flow you have going on. Eh?

Old 09/28/2006, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

I hear ya....I'm not full of **** and vinegar to spend money That's for sure. Here's the lighting that I'm working with right now:
Coralife T5 Double Strip

I am running two of them for a total of 112 watts (this includes the actinics as well). Although I've been happy with how things have been going so far, I have always known in the back of my mind that I was going to updrade at some point to better fixtures with better reflectors.

As far as flow, I'm currently running two maxi-jet 1200s on opposing sides of the tank. One is pointing toward the back wall and up toward the surface (for a little agitation) and the other is pointing toward the opposite end just a little toward the surface. The only other movement that I might be getting is from the output from the 125 gallon version Coralife Super Skimmer. I may look at getting another 900 maxi jet at some point just to make sure I don't have any dead spots and I might run it along the back wall of the tank using a piece of pvc with holes cut in it pointing toward the surface.

Other than that, I try and do water changes (6 gallons) about once a week with RO/DI water.

What do you all think about my current lighting and flow? I know I could use more flow maybe.

Adam
Old 09/28/2006, 12:28 PM
Reef Fanatic

I think your lighting is fine for now. I might consider getting another one of those Coralife T5 Double Strips, as I don't THINK they are too much. However, that should be a lower priority on your list.

What I REALLY recommend you do with your next chunk of Reef Money is increase your flow and buy more rock.

Flow - maxijets are reliable little pumps. However, due to the fact that they only create laminar, firehouse type flow - I actually consider them rather useless for creating flow in a display tank. At a minimum, they are at least "ineffective". Spend about $40 a piece on 2 SEIO m620. You can get them only for that price, $80 total. Then you can remove t he MJ.

Don't worry - they maxijets are always useful for SOMETHING around a reefers existence.

Rock: I'd add rock until you can get some nice size piles, pillars, etc. I would recommend a rate of about 1-1.5 pounds per gallon. That is a low number as I don't think tanks need as much rock as a lot of people do.

However, ignore the numbers mostly - add rock until you feel like you have enough.....as long as it about twice as much or more (or a little less) then you have now.

For one thing, when you start adding more corals later, you'll need the real estate to spread things out upon. For another, Live Rock is very important from a biological filtration perspective.

Lastly, one thing that has become a staple of my water quality recommendation - a PhosBan reactor, phosban, and some carbon (marineland black diamond, for instance). For my 55g tank I use about 3/4 - 1 cup of carbon and about 1/4 cup of phosban. Replace that once a month. There are more details here, but that can come later if you take the plunge.

The nice thing is they are so cheap - $30 on Marine Depot. Phosban $15, carbon $10 (or so) and you are set.

I think a tank is greatly improved by the use of such a simple device to help reduce the toxicity of the chemical stew that develops in our tank.

Seriously, for what you have now, you can wait on the lighting upgrade.

Oh yeah - and make sure you feed reasonably. Don't REALLY overdue it. But ALSO do NOT underfeed. A softie/LPS tank will REALLY benefit from all those dissolved organics, etc, in the water to feed things - also referred to as a "nutrient rich environment".

Anyhow gotta run!

Old 09/28/2006, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

DiveCJ5 - Like yourself, I have been searching for lighting & T5 is definitly the way to go from all my research. You can keep about anything that requires lighting. Since you already have a T5 system your ahead of me because I'm only running a 110 W PC & it SUCKS

In one of the T5 forums I asked what would be the way to go for a setup like ours. One suggestion for a complete unit was http://www.aquactinics.com/Store/T5_...ng_Systems.htm

This is a 5 bulb unit which was unique. Apparently 6 bulbs is way too much & won't fit above the system. The bulb combination was 1 sun, 2 blue plus, & 2 actinic.

Another alternative is to try http://www.reefgeek.com/products/cat...ng/104434.html

4 bulbs, Individual ice cap reflectors - 2 blue+, 1 aquablue, and 1 10,000k. Another alternative Sun or midday, 2 blueplus and a UVL super actinic.

I hope the links work because this will be the first time trying that out. I'm a newbie when it comes to posting on RC

As for flow... I'm with the Capt. I currently have 3 maxijets and I don't feel I have enough flow. Look at the Seios! Pretty cheap compared to the Tunze with killer flow also. I'm looking into getting either 2 820's or 1100's. They are pretty big size wise but I want the flow & the tank is BB so I don't have to worry about a sand storm.

Everything is looking great so far. Keep it up & continue the research prior to purchasing something. I wish I would have had RC about 10 years ago when I jumped into this addictive hobby so that I wouldn't have wasted so much money & time.

Keep on reefing
Old 09/28/2006, 04:54 PM
Premium Member

More pics. Looks great!!!
Old 09/29/2006, 08:07 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by captbunzo
I think your lighting is fine for now. I might consider getting another one of those Coralife T5 Double Strips, as I don't THINK they are too much. However, that should be a lower priority on your list.

What I REALLY recommend you do with your next chunk of Reef Money is increase your flow and buy more rock.

Flow - maxijets are reliable little pumps. However, due to the fact that they only create laminar, firehouse type flow - I actually consider them rather useless for creating flow in a display tank. At a minimum, they are at least "ineffective". Spend about $40 a piece on 2 SEIO m620. You can get them only for that price, $80 total. Then you can remove t he MJ.

Don't worry - they maxijets are always useful for SOMETHING around a reefers existence.

Rock: I'd add rock until you can get some nice size piles, pillars, etc. I would recommend a rate of about 1-1.5 pounds per gallon. That is a low number as I don't think tanks need as much rock as a lot of people do.

However, ignore the numbers mostly - add rock until you feel like you have enough.....as long as it about twice as much or more (or a little less) then you have now.

For one thing, when you start adding more corals later, you'll need the real estate to spread things out upon. For another, Live Rock is very important from a biological filtration perspective.

Lastly, one thing that has become a staple of my water quality recommendation - a PhosBan reactor, phosban, and some carbon (marineland black diamond, for instance). For my 55g tank I use about 3/4 - 1 cup of carbon and about 1/4 cup of phosban. Replace that once a month. There are more details here, but that can come later if you take the plunge.

The nice thing is they are so cheap - $30 on Marine Depot. Phosban $15, carbon $10 (or so) and you are set.

I think a tank is greatly improved by the use of such a simple device to help reduce the toxicity of the chemical stew that develops in our tank.

Seriously, for what you have now, you can wait on the lighting upgrade.

Oh yeah - and make sure you feed reasonably. Don't REALLY overdue it. But ALSO do NOT underfeed. A softie/LPS tank will REALLY benefit from all those dissolved organics, etc, in the water to feed things - also referred to as a "nutrient rich environment".

Anyhow gotta run!

Thanks for the response Paul. Sorry I didn't get a chance to call you before you headed out on your trip but things got busy at work and that put a cabash on the call.

I will definitely look to add more flow then with the seios and slowly phase out the maxi-jets. What I might do to get more flow behind the tank is to do a mod that I saw somewhere on here. They took a long piece of pvc and cut holes on the top part and around it. They then hooked it up to a maxijet and laid it along the back pane to get some circulation back there. Thought that was a cool idea. I would love to get some Tunze jets but don't have the money for all that right now (gotta have things to wish for in the future).

About the rock: I am definitely planning on getting more. Right now I've been keeping my eye out for better pieces when they come through the LFS and I try to grab them up when I can. I will probably get another 5-10 this coming week and just keep adding til I get around 50 pounds or so total. I'm sure that I will end up with more than that but that's what I shooting for now. The LFS has been getting some really nice rock lately so the time might just be right for that.

About running the Phosban reactor and carbon. Since I don't have a sump, where am I supposed to be running this? I know that the phosban reactor itself is a seperate piece of equipment but where should I be running the carbon? Just curious since it's something that I will definitely look into. Right now I've just been sporadically running some Phoslock for a couple days at a time just to make sure Phosphates don't get out of whack.

Just get back to me when you get back Paul.

Any other suggestions out there?

Adam
Old 09/29/2006, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

Fellow Geography

Quote:
Originally posted by Divetime
DiveCJ5 - Like yourself, I have been searching for lighting & T5 is definitly the way to go from all my research. You can keep about anything that requires lighting. Since you already have a T5 system your ahead of me because I'm only running a 110 W PC & it SUCKS

In one of the T5 forums I asked what would be the way to go for a setup like ours. One suggestion for a complete unit was http://www.aquactinics.com/Store/T5_...ng_Systems.htm

This is a 5 bulb unit which was unique. Apparently 6 bulbs is way too much & won't fit above the system. The bulb combination was 1 sun, 2 blue plus, & 2 actinic.

Another alternative is to try http://www.reefgeek.com/products/cat...ng/104434.html

4 bulbs, Individual ice cap reflectors - 2 blue+, 1 aquablue, and 1 10,000k. Another alternative Sun or midday, 2 blueplus and a UVL super actinic.

I hope the links work because this will be the first time trying that out. I'm a newbie when it comes to posting on RC

As for flow... I'm with the Capt. I currently have 3 maxijets and I don't feel I have enough flow. Look at the Seios! Pretty cheap compared to the Tunze with killer flow also. I'm looking into getting either 2 820's or 1100's. They are pretty big size wise but I want the flow & the tank is BB so I don't have to worry about a sand storm.

Hey there Divetime and fellow geographer Thanks for the response and following along with my tank as well. Thanks for the suggestions on the lighting....I think I actually saw that post on the Aquatinics forum and saw the suggestions as well. Those are definitely an option for the future. They look like they're a really solid unit and it's nice have the support forum on here for their products.

Thanks for the suggestions as well for the types of bulbs. I'm still a little confused on the whole Actinic and Actinic+ differences but I'm assuming it has to do with the range of light in nanometers.

I am going to go and check out the seios now since that is the second reccomendation that I've gotten on here now so they sound really good.

Thanks for the suggestions and I hope you continue to follow my progress.

Adam
Old 09/29/2006, 08:38 AM
Registered Member

Man guys, just checked out those seios on marine depot and then look pretty solid. Just a question, what is the biggest difference with these over the Maxi Jet? I know that the maxijets have a laminar flow so are the seios "kind of" comparable to the tunze as they have a more diffuse flow? Just curious....I guess I might have to check out their site.

Adam
Old 09/29/2006, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

Sorry for all the questions but I'm just curious about the gph difference that will happen if I switched from the Maxi Jets (both 1200s) to the 3 Seio 620s. Will there be a large difference in the amount of flow or will it not really be that noticeable because the flow actually be more diffuse and cover more area?

Adam
Old 09/29/2006, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

Tunze are the best of the best. I have 2 Seio 2600. I wish I had gone just a little smaller as they are really big and take up lots of tank. In a 55 I would go with 800 or 1100 no bigger. I am happy with my Seios but plenty of people bad mouth them on RC.

PS hi from down town Columbia

Rick
Old 09/29/2006, 10:16 AM
Premium Member

With carbon and phosban I think you can run a pump to pull water out of the tank and push it back and have the pump push the water back in. drfostersmith.com has a in-line system where the phosban and carbon can be hooked together. Thats just a suggestion, I haven't had a chance to get into the bigger tanks. But hopefully soon!
Old 09/29/2006, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by BORNTOFLY
Tunze are the best of the best. I have 2 Seio 2600. I wish I had gone just a little smaller as they are really big and take up lots of tank. In a 55 I would go with 800 or 1100 no bigger. I am happy with my Seios but plenty of people bad mouth them on RC.

PS hi from down town Columbia

Rick
Thanks Rick. First off, GO COCKS (if you're a Carolina fan ). Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will for sure order 2 of the m620s in the coming week or so to replace the MaxiJets. I would love to get the Tunzes but just don't think that's in the cards. I have read some bad things about the Seios on here but from what I've gotten from all of you on my thread, they seem to be better than the MJs. Thanks again.

Adam
Old 09/29/2006, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rodgod20
With carbon and phosban I think you can run a pump to pull water out of the tank and push it back and have the pump push the water back in. drfostersmith.com has a in-line system where the phosban and carbon can be hooked together. Thats just a suggestion, I haven't had a chance to get into the bigger tanks. But hopefully soon!
Thanks Rod. I will have to do some searching around to see what's out there and how things can be hooked up without a sump. I was thinking that's how it would be done but just wasn't sure what products were out there. I'll let you know what I find out.

BTW, you have a really nice nano which I've seen pics of in the Nano Forum.

Adam
Old 10/02/2006, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

Sorry for the lack of pics but nothing too much has changed over the last couple of days. I plan on grabbing up some more rock this week.

Just had a couple of questions about my candy cane corals. I had to move the one with the two heads on it because I noticed on Saturday that one of the heads looked a little shrunken and like the tissue on the top was peeling back from one of the edges. I moved it to an area that is a little lower in the tank and with less flow. It fluffed back up so I'll have to keep my eye on it and make sure nothing's up with it. The other question that I have is about my candy cane colony. Pretty much 75% of the heads puff up when the lights come on and after I feed the clowns but there are a couple in the middle of the colony that haven't been puffing up as of late. Is this something that is normal and happens every once in a while? Should I see if moving it will help it out any? Or should I just ride it out and see if it continues? I upped my calcium the other day because it was down around 380 so I'm not sure if that had an effect on them.

Other than that, the clowns are fat and happy and the frogspawn is HUGE when fully expanded. It is definitely the show piece where it is.

Let me know what you guys think I should do with the candies.

Thanks.
Old 10/03/2006, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

No comments of suggestions on the candies?

Hey Paul, if you get the chance, can you elaborate a little more on the seios, the phosban reactor, etc? Thanks man.

Adam
Old 10/03/2006, 09:29 AM
Reef Fanatic

I will try and do so today...

Old 10/03/2006, 09:33 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Paul for all the help and suggestions. I appreciate it
Old 10/03/2006, 11:09 AM
Reef Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by divecj5
Thanks Paul for all the help and suggestions. I appreciate it
Fogetaboutit!

Ok, so for those that don't have access to divecj5's PM box, here is a bit of background for you, a PM I sent from the woods via my mobile phone (treo) over the weekend. THAT was interesting.

Quote:
SEIOs - yeah they aren't as great as the almighty tunze, but they work and are affordable. They will be fine. Or you can wait a couple of monthes and go with tunze nanostreams. More on that next week, if you like...
Tunze Nanostreams are expected out by the end of the year. The are effectively a direct competitor for the flow rates produced by SEIOs. They will run a little more, but are a little sexier, come with magnetic holders (woot!), and come with the prestigious name of owning Tunze.

In all seriousness, they look pretty rocking too me. I will likely purchase the bottom level one (NS 6025) when they come out and put it in my tank in Dallas.

However, for now, I would recommend just getting SEIOs. They are great pumps which should serve you well. If you have any trouble with them, just contact SEIO customer support. I am sure they will be more then helpful, especially if you remind them you chose SEIO over Tunze.

And it's worth nothing that through the fifth of October, SEIOs are on sale on DrsFosterSmith.com.

Quote:
Phosban Reactors - They hang on back and use a maxijet or similar ph to pump water thru them. They are really simple and work great. You might want to wait on that until I am back from the weekend and give you more details.

And the best place to get a phosban reactor setup is marine depot - again, more details next week...
Phosban reactors, one of my more recent favorite items. Here is the cost breakdown:

1. Phosban Reactor - $35
   2. Maxijet Powerhead - $0 (you already have one)
   3. Phosban 150g - $12
   4. Carbon - $14

So that's a total of $61. Plus shipping, you're probably under $70.

Anyhow, also check out for more info on running carbon and phosban in one reactor:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=879435

Old 10/03/2006, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

Hey Paul. Thanks for getting back to me about the powerheads and the phosphate reactor. I think I agree with you and will just end up going with the Seios for the time being. My maxi jets have been really aggravating the cra*p out of me lately since there are some areas that are getting a boat load of flow and some areas that are barely moving. This is fine for high flow corals but it's hard to get rid of dead spots and get rid of that "fire hose" flow. So it will be nice to get some more diffuse going.

So I will see how my bidding goes on my favorite auction site on some now and if it doesn't go well, Drs. F &S will be getting some more of my money. I need to order a couple other tid bits so that will give me an excuse to pay for the shipping

Looks like my maxijets will come in handy then for the reactor. I will probably use one in the auto top off that I might build in the future (will this be too strong of a pump) and I will use the other one for the reactor. Glad that I will still be able to use them.

Man, thanks again for the info. I don't know where I would be without the internet, e-mail, and the great advice from friends on here.

I'm sure this info. will be useful to others as well.

Adam