Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/27/2006, 08:47 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

good luck, i really don't know if the anemone will do to good with the lighting. Also you had said that you had a skunk clown too. Having two different clowns in your tank might be a problem. Normally you can't put 2 different species of clowns together unless you have a 180gal+ tank because they will end up fighting and killing eachother. Just thought i would give you a heads up That anemone is really awesome though!

Click on My Gallery for pics of my tank
Click the little red house for my tank diary!!!
Old 04/27/2006, 08:52 PM
Premium Member

No I had 2 skunk cleaner shrimp in my tank, & one of them got eaten by my first anemone that has been in the tank for awhile, now I only have one. I only have one fish in my tank right now thats a Black & White percula in my tank, might be adding a fish in like a month or so, to give the anemone and starfish time to get used to my tank, and to keep my paycheck in my wallet for once...
Old 04/28/2006, 05:50 AM
Premium Member

you should feed that star fish something. Im feeling you rushed into getting 'em. They need a film built up on the tank and that usually takes a few months. They eat this film and it isnt there is why he is roaming soo much i believe (someone can correct me if im wrong). I suggest feeding it small bits of food. I've never done it but thats what I'm told. You could get a couple more fish to help build the film up faster though
Old 04/28/2006, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

I have a couple skimmers and I like the needle wheel skimmers the best. You dont have to mess with them constantly.
Old 04/28/2006, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

I don't clean the sides or back of my tank, just the front. On the sides & back if you put your hand in the tank, and touch the glass their is that slime feeling that your talking about, Today the starfish has been on the back wall, & you can see where he has been and gone from what was eaten... I did do some research before I got him, mainly my wife wanted him, so I had to make sure I could put him in the tank with what was in their already, and what I plan on putting in their.

I would never just get something with out knowing its habitat and what it needs to survive properly. Thanks for the input Annetate, Greatly appreciated.

As for the skimmer, I also like the "needle wheel system" too, I think it works alittle better than the "spray injection system" I am now thinking how having a sump made, And I will be upgrading to something different, proably something that stands up in the sump so that I don't have to have my current skimmer hanging on the back right now...
Old 04/28/2006, 08:48 AM
Premium Member

I also have Brine shrimp to add to the tank for the starfish, I read thats something that he may want to eat.
Old 04/28/2006, 09:07 AM
22 And Livin It Up!

you might want to try mysis, brine is like potato chips. Also i know one of your skunks was eaten, but i was letting you know what you might have problems with the two species of clownfish.

Old 04/28/2006, 09:23 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cutiewitbooty
you might want to try mysis, brine is like potato chips.
Hey amber, from what you saying up above, brine is not to go for my tank, its fattening Can you inform me alittle on the mysis? Also I only have one clownfish in my tank, All I have is the Black & White Percula, nothing else. Thanks for enlighting me on the mysis, interested in what you have to say.

Bobby
Old 04/28/2006, 09:27 AM
22 And Livin It Up!

well not really "fattening", but it has no nutritional value. (maybe ice burge letuce would be a better example) Fish will actually starve to death in the long term if that is all they are fed. I mean it's ok for a treat or getting fish to start eating that are having trouble. Mysis shrimp are sold in fozen packages like the brine and formulas 1&2. You might want to pick up some fozen formula 1 or 2 and some mysis, that would be alot better for them.

Old 04/28/2006, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

i can tell you why your anemone ate your shrimp... it was hungry because it doesnt have enough light. You need more light buddy!
Old 04/28/2006, 09:35 AM
22 And Livin It Up!

did it eat his shrimp too, i thought it just ate the clown

Old 04/28/2006, 09:40 AM
Premium Member

Right now I feed my clown some sinking pellets, & the brine shrimp once a week, like u said a treat for him. But I definatly will pick up some frozen mysis shrimp. Whats with the formulas 1 & 2 ? My anemone I feed him silversides 3x a week, And lighting I haven't figured out which lighting I want to upgrade too, but will probly be upgraded by the end of the summer...
Old 04/28/2006, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Cutiewitbooty
did it eat his shrimp too, i thought it just ate the clown
My anemone never ate my clown, it only ate my Skunk Cleaner Shrimp as I have said in all my previous replys...
Old 04/28/2006, 09:47 AM
22 And Livin It Up!

formula 1 & 2 and some of the best foods IMO anyways.

formula 1
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...59&N=2004+6125

formula 2
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produc...58&N=2004+6125

Mysis (this is the brand i have in my freezer right now
https://www.thatpetplace.com/FrozenF...53/Detail.aspx

Here is a pic of my sun coral eating mysis

Old 04/28/2006, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for linke amber, will get some as soon as posible
Old 04/28/2006, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

oh yea nice picture by the way
Old 04/28/2006, 09:56 AM
Premium Member

what I'm trying to say about your anenome eating your shrimp is that if you do not provide them with enough light they seek nurishment in other means... (your shrimp) ps. you may be feeding it too much and if you miss a meal he will eat something else instead... so i tried to warn you about it eating things didnt i? lol they are very pretty though, what are you gonna do right?
Old 04/28/2006, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

yea you did, I'll just try to make sure and upgrade my lighting, and to never miss a meal, or he'll find something else to munch on... lol

bobby
Old 04/28/2006, 10:20 AM
22 And Livin It Up!

by the way, you change your avatar to much lol

Old 04/28/2006, 10:23 AM
Premium Member

Don't like looking at the same thing all the time, lol
Old 04/29/2006, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Updated Photo's with my NEW LR

Yesterday I got some more LR, I ended up getting 40lbs, to add to me tank, and it looks great, I may or may not change the aquascaping, but time will tell...

Here's the picture's (A side shot first):

This is a shot at with only my Actinics on:

And this is my last shot for the night tell I get more up close of the LR, but this shot is all my lights on:

Hopefully everyone likes the new photos, of how everything is comeing together, And will be takeing my Condy anemone out as soon as I find him a good home to go to, My BTA is doing great, but my Black & White Percula has still gone over to invesitgate it, so hopeing that it will and thay it will host just fine.

Picked up some Formula 1 & 2 today from the LFS and the clown likes that alot, along with my BTA so thanks to amber for that recommendation. It made things better for the long run. Also did a 5 gallon water change today & tested all water paramenters, Alll is good. So now I wait for my Seio pumps to arrive that I ordered from Marine Depot and Maybe in a month or so I may add something new to the Fish tank stock list.

Thanks for all the inputs.
Old 04/29/2006, 09:31 PM
22 And Livin It Up!

looks like it's comming together nicely! Glad to hear that you are getting rid of the condy lol Also glad to hear you got some nw food, how do your fish like it?

Old 04/30/2006, 06:11 AM
Premium Member

I'm glad its finally comeing together also, I may or may not get some more LR, but for right now I'm happy... My next few purchases are going to be equiptment, and supplies. And I am getting rid of my condy, He needs a new home soon, My clown real likels the food, and the mysis shrimp makes everyone happy when droped in the tank, so I would say that everything is happy and going good.

Will try to get some closw ups soon of the LR covered in coraline that I purchased... and maybe a few other shots. Thanks for all the input.
Old 05/02/2006, 01:07 PM
Premium Member

Here is a close up of a rock in my tank that has good coraline growth on it, its starting to spread to other rocks around it, which is a good thing. I wonder if too much coraline is a bad thing in a tank ??? One is to wonder this, can coraline get out of hand to where you would need to take it out or clean it up? Maybe someone will chime in on this subject...

Here is a picture:

Old 05/02/2006, 01:11 PM
Premium Member

no, coraline is a sign of good health and will prevent nuisance algae from growing there