Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/25/2006, 10:13 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brandon's Reef
did you think about the Coralife Super Skimmer 65 there not bad for the price and totally killed the remora pro I had.
If you can give me a website to check this skimmer out it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot Brandon's Reef.
Old 03/25/2006, 11:50 PM
Premium Member

bump
Old 03/25/2006, 11:55 PM
Registered Member

You'll be happy with the Aqua C Remora. I have a Maxi-Jet 1200 on it and it is working great so far. It is on a 29gal, though, and I'm not positive that it is enough for a 55gal. maybe someone can verify it.
Old 03/26/2006, 12:01 AM
Premium Member

Thats what I'm leaning towards, but I still want to know which is better the "needle wheel system"
or the "spray injection system"

thanks amzingbobby though for the input...
Old 03/26/2006, 10:10 PM
Premium Member

does anyone have a input on these twi systems above please ???
Old 03/26/2006, 10:11 PM
Premium Member

which is better.....

needle wheel system (Aqua Medic Turboflotor)...

spray injection system (Aqua C Remora Pro)...

thanks for the input from anyone !!!
Old 03/27/2006, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

hahathe wal mart tank im assuming?? if so I have the same one. so be carefull with the heater, they tend to stick sometimes. Ive seen 3 so far do it before mine stuck..
as for the skimmer, i would go with the needlewheel. But id prolly get the coralife superskimmer.
Old 03/27/2006, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

I have a aqua C bak-pak run with the maxi 1200, I like it... until it settles in nice, it spwes out microbubbles, and whenever you add an additive to the tank it spews-but all skimmers do that, I'm told.

otherwise, more rock... and I agree with Patmayo-anemone is a bit too soon. Where do you want to go with this tank? reef? fish? You'll rue the damsels, I'm sure... unless your going to not have any other fish, and going straight reef...
Old 03/27/2006, 10:07 AM
Premium Member

Im a bit on the new side my self.
But im thinking you need some(make that alot)more live rock in your tank, and then monitor it untill its cycled?
Im not sure how its going to handle any bioload.
Id take the aneneneneme back for now.

From my underdtanding skimmers and filters are merely bandaids, abiet good ones, to the biologic filtration of LR and optionaly a DSB.
LR sees faster results and a DSB takes a very long time to establish.

IMO, id get least 60 pounds in there.
If money is an issue then just add to it when you can.
Take your time, build up your LR, get a cleaner crew, watch for spikes and aglae blooms and then add the 'cool stuff'

A couple of powerheads for more flow others will mention.

just my 2 cents
Old 03/27/2006, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by NCreefwannabe
hahathe wal mart tank im assuming?? if so I have the same one. so be carefull with the heater, they tend to stick sometimes. as for the skimmer, i would go with the needlewheel. But id prolly get the coralife superskimmer.
As for the walmart thing, not sure bought it off a buddy that had it for 3 years so, couldn't pass it up for $150 tank and stand.... As for the heater I don't even use it I live in florida so its in their right now just for looks, (came with the tank)... If I do buy a heater then I'll buy the right one to make sure I have a good one, thanks for the input on the two systems... I have heard & read good and bad things about the spray injection system and I've heard & read that needle is better than the spray injection, as in skimming purposes... thanks again for the input though NCreefwannabe
Old 03/27/2006, 10:29 AM
Frag from Mr ROWA himself

Heres the corallife super skimmers
http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/cate...tegory_id=3043
I got a 220 off ebay and dont have it yet so cant tell you if it works good or not. They seem like a decent bang for your buck compared to the others.
Old 03/27/2006, 10:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Swanwillow
I have a aqua C bak-pak run with the maxi 1200, I like it... until it settles in nice, it spwes out microbubbles, and whenever you add an additive to the tank it spews-but all skimmers do that, I'm told. Where do you want to go with this tank? reef? fish? You'll rue the damsels, I'm sure... unless your going to not have any other fish, and going straight reef...
You have the Aqua C urchin? Or is the one you have a different one? Yea I was told the same thing about the microbubbles, you supposed to turn off your skimmer whenever adding chemicals to prevent any microbubbles going back into the tank... I'm trying to see whats going to fit my best as in with where I'm going with the tank, but the problem is my wife is in the Coast Guard and we will be moving this year sometime, somewhere ??? and I don't want to get a whole lot of LR because of the fact that we mayu be going to Hawaii for all I know... In the end I'm shooting for around 100lbs of LR with different sorts of polpys, a few anemone's for hosting with clown fish, and maybe some colorfull colors to add into the tank with around 5-7 fish in the tank... but that won't happen tell we end up in a perment place for awhile... (which will be after this move)

I hate the damsels, the little bastards... LOL even with the little worm culture rock that I have in my tank, they knock that around with mnoving sand all the time, They will be the first out of the tank and back to LFS when possible. Thanks for the input though Swanwillow
Old 03/27/2006, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tulkas71
But im thinking you need some(make that alot)more live rock in your tank, and then monitor it untill its cycled?

From my underdtanding skimmers and filters are merely bandaids, abiet good ones, to the biologic filtration of LR and optionaly a DSB.
LR sees faster results and a DSB takes a very long time to establish.
Thanks for the input tulkas71, like I said above my wife's in the Coast Guard and the fact that I'm moving this year somewhere, is the reason that I haven't gotten alot of LR, other than When we do get to our new home I'm going to be shooting for around 100lbs of LR and as for my sand bed, the sand that is in their has been alive for 3 years from my buddy that sold me the tank, and I also got a cup of LS from a buddy of mine on here *(robthorn)* he gave a cup of his LS from his tank that has been established for awhile, so I think my sand bed is doing pretty well for what I have in their... Thanks again for the input though, greatly appreciated
Old 03/27/2006, 10:38 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurt03
I got a 220 off ebay and dont have it yet so cant tell you if it works good or not. They seem like a decent bang for your buck compared to the others.
thanks for the link Kurt03 will check it out...
Old 03/27/2006, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

If you dont see an occasional gas buble pop-up from the sand to the surface then its not doing its job yet.

If your moving this year, to be honest, I wouldnt progress in it any further and just have your equipment ready till after.

My 55 was left in my posession by my Ex(her hobby not mine initially ). I have done about all i can with it the way its setup now.
If i had the opportunity to start from scratch, is definately go with a larger tank with on overflow. but thats another thread
Old 03/27/2006, 11:25 AM
Premium Member

I see the gas bubble pop every now and then but it is their... Well I know that when I do move, I could always sell what I have or ship it to where I'm going... The military gives us 2 weeks before my wife has to report where ever we have to go so can be their before the shipment arrives and set everything back up, if everything is fine during shipment...
Old 03/27/2006, 11:29 AM
Registered Member

its not the urchin, its the bakpak 2R ummm, has two chambers....

oops, its a CPR aquatic bakpak, not aqua c... ugh, sorry for screwing it up!!!! anyways, heres the site/picture of it (minues the bio-bale crud) http://www.cpraquatic.com/products/bakpak.html
Old 03/27/2006, 11:31 AM
Premium Member

thanks for the link will look into it... thanks agaun swanwillow
Old 04/03/2006, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

bump
Old 04/03/2006, 11:21 PM
Premium Member

about to purchase my skimmer tomorrow and would like to know people's final thought on the two systems that I have narrowed it down too...

The needle wheel system

Or the spray injection system

As I've been talking above with which one is better would like to know what people's thoughts are on the pro's & con's of each one and why I should go with one of the other...

Do like the Aqua C Remora Pro HO with the drain fitting but also like the Aqua Medic Turboflotor because of the needle wheel system, have heard this was better in the end for my tank ???

thanks for the input guys & girls
Old 04/04/2006, 08:30 AM
Premium Member

Having a drain would be very nice
Old 04/09/2006, 06:37 AM
Registered Member

Go with the Remora. Very easy set up and adjustment. Get the skimmer box too.
Old 04/09/2006, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

I had a remora on my 46 gallon and was not happy with it's performance. I used the mj1200 and the skimmer box, still was not happy with it's performance. (It's for sale if you want it)

I prefer the needle wheel but I only have experience with the remora and the ER which is a needle wheel.

As far as a DSB. A DSB will only function as a DSB if it is a minimum of about 4 inches deep. Anything less than that and it really will not function as a DSB. As for protein skimmers and live rock, you really do need a good protein skimmer if you want to have a decent number of critters in your tank. Live rock will work alone but for long term health the skimmer works in conjunction with your live rock and will give you good long term results.

Regards,

Pat
2 X 150 MH
2 X 96 watt PC Actinic
2 Clarki Clowns (27 months old)
1 Niger Trigger (Owned 2 months)
2 Tunze 6055 PH
Old 04/14/2006, 01:37 PM
Registered Member

I took a picture almost exactly like one of yours about four years ago.

Old 04/15/2006, 03:10 PM
Premium Member

Thats cool... Thats exactly what the one Looked like in my picture... I ended up takening him out though, Did you ???