Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/26/2005, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

I dunno about cardboard for the background Tek. It tends to soak up water no? Why not go to the LFS and have some waterproof background cut. The stuff I saw was black on one side and blue on the other, and as such, you can see how either might look. After you've chosen your color, tape it to the back with waterproof tape to prevent water slipping in between the glass and the background, which can lead to unsightly salt stains.
Jon
Old 10/26/2005, 01:32 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Quote:
Originally posted by JRPhd
I dunno about cardboard for the background Tek. It tends to soak up water no? Why not go to the LFS and have some waterproof background cut. The stuff I saw was black on one side and blue on the other, and as such, you can see how either might look. After you've chosen your color, tape it to the back with waterproof tape to prevent water slipping in between the glass and the background, which can lead to unsightly salt stains.
Jon
I am thinking of using black electric tape... will this work?
Old 10/26/2005, 01:34 PM
Moved On

scotch tape worked fine for mine
Old 10/26/2005, 01:53 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

I am at the end of the curing LR and cycling tank. Also I am not finished with all my sump/fuge/plumbing just yet. So, two questions on adding live sand with worms and other wonderful creatures.

Do I wait until ammonia and nitrites are zeroes for a extended period of time, or I can add the LS immediately after I read zeroes there?

What's better, to set up fuge first and then add LS, or add LS and later add fuge to the system?
Old 10/26/2005, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

I used a combo. of electric tape and duct tape. I heard the electric tape leaves residue on tank frame if left on there a long time. So, you might consider black duct tape, which would be perfect if you went with the black background. Someone on a different thread said taping looks like crap. I disagree and it can look flawless if you take the time and install it smoothly.
Jon
Old 10/27/2005, 01:47 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

JRPhd thanks, I am going to experiment with the tape I suppose

Today I had a floood about 5 gallons of water were dumped on a floor. Nope, it wasnt a leak, I just droped it I live on a third floor in the apartment, I hope my neighbors below were stoned as usual, and did not notice any suspicios looking circles on their ceiling.

Anyways, I did some remodeling, broke the wall of rocks into two structures, I'll make the pics as soon as sand storm settles.

Two more days until my lights arrive.... cant wait ....
Old 10/27/2005, 05:42 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Question Yet another, what I can keep with these lights?

Yep, it is my turn now to ask everybody what can I keep under 8x54W T5 lights? Will some SPS grow at shallow depth?

I know it is a bit early for where my tank is right now, but I'd like to preplan all of the species that would/could live in my 55G.
Old 10/27/2005, 06:48 PM
Moved On

8X54W T5's assuming they're HO T5's should be plenty of light for anything and at any depth in a 55g tank.

D.
Old 10/27/2005, 07:03 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

I thought all T5's are HO,... hm... I have to double check then.
Old 10/27/2005, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

wow nice set up
Old 10/28/2005, 01:22 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Eventually Ammonia is ZERO!!!!!! Trites are still 0.25 mg/l.

Anyways, here are the pics after "remodeling"

Rocks on the right:

..and rocks on the left:

Comments and critique are always welcome!
Old 10/28/2005, 10:12 AM
Registered Member

As long as they're stable, I like the rocks on the right; Great Job! I'd get the rock in the far corner off the side glass pane if you want to be able to clean over there. It also seems a little isolated or disconnected, at least in the picture. Maybe that rock could be put closer to the right pile and slightly submerged in the sand to give the effect that its been there awhile. I'm certainly no expert here, just throwing out some ideas.
J

The left side still looks a little cramped, but if you plan on decorating it with corals and such, it looks stable with some nice flat surfaces.
Old 10/28/2005, 11:23 AM
Moved On

very nice aquascaping, much better than before I think
Old 10/28/2005, 12:39 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Thanks guys, I plan to fiddle a bit with left corner. There will be an overflow box installed, also the heater will be moved there, so I might use the rocks on the left to hide the equipment. They are pretty big rocks, I think it'll be a perfect platform for corrals.

Planning: install lights!!!!! (they should arrive today). And on the weekend massive water change. Hopefully nitrites are going to drop from 0.25 mg/l to their rightful place - zero

Last edited by TekCat; 10/28/2005 at 01:30 PM.
Old 10/28/2005, 02:21 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by TekCat
... And on the weekend massive water change. Hopefully nitrites are going to drop from 0.25 mg/l to their rightful place - zero

woah there chief. Slow down. Don't be doing that massive water change or you will throw your tank into another cycle. Just leave it alone and wait.

D.
Old 10/28/2005, 02:39 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
woah there chief. Slow down. Don't be doing that massive water change or you will throw your tank into another cycle. Just leave it alone and wait.

D.
From what I read out there, when ammonia and trites are down, a 50% water change helps to export nitrates, so there wont be too much food for algea. (per Waterkeeper's new tank thread) But I've never heard that it would induce another cycle. Could you explain why?
Old 10/28/2005, 04:46 PM
Bogus Information Expert

The amount of "good" bacteria removed in a water change is so small compared to the amount on the LR and LS that it is a non-event, especially on a tank without anything but rock and sand. Change away, you'll be helping things out in the long run.

BTW,

Tom
Old 10/28/2005, 05:08 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

WaterKeeper, Thanks for your wizdom... I never AWOLed from your "bootcamp" lots of good info!!!! Thanks a lot, and please keep us newbies in check
Old 10/29/2005, 09:37 AM
Bogus Information Expert

What? You're supposed to be hauling water Mister!

Tom
Old 10/31/2005, 03:11 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Thumbs up Plumbing overhaul

Last night, eventually I installed my new sump. It does not have fuge section anymore. I needed larger return section to make at least some sensible water throughput using 10 gallons tank as a sump.

Skimmer section has a skimmer, duh (AquaC Remora), and drain pipe from my overflow box (QuietFlow 600). About an inch from the bottom of this section I put an eggcrate with live rock rubble (let it be a bubble breaking addition to bio filtration system)

Following 4 baffles (over/under/over/under) there is a return section with Dolphin DP-560 pump. I plumbed a tee with a ballvalve return to the return section to control the flow. Works like a charm, there is not much flow going though the system. Maybe 200GPH at most, but this I plan to supplement with SEIO pump, that is suppose to arrive today

Also I added another tee with a ball valve to the plumbing setup for future addition of the fuge. It remains closed for now

Strange thing... my skimmer is at the "wettest" setting, though I does not produce much foam in the collection cup. I am at the end of the curing LR/cycling tank. I guess that there is not much bio activity hapening that would make lots of foam.
In any case, I washed skimmer and the pump, so they are now clean

Tank parameters before I did 35% water change:
pH = 8.2
Temp = 80.8
SG = 1.025
amm = 0
nitrite = 0.15
nitrate = (test should arrive today)

<< flame on >>

My lights are still not here. Evil DHL supposed to deliver them 2 days ago . I really hate them. When called them a customer service person (I am struggling not to call her using a bad word) told me that the order was processed electronicaly, but the item was never dropped off by the sender. In rage, I write email to the store that sold me lights. (you could probably guess the language I was using in the letter). Then, after I cooled off, I called DHL again. Different customer service person told me that the package is in transit. WHAT THE HELL!!!!!!!! How in the World can I trust DHL???
So, my advise: do not use DHL!

<< flame off >>
Old 10/31/2005, 06:43 PM
Bogus Information Expert

Shipping problems not included, the bank of eightT-5HO should handle any SPS, probably clams too. Once the ammonia and nitrite are down a skimmer kinda goes on vacation. They skim protein but are rather useless on nitrates, unfortunately. Once you get some livestock into the tank and start feeding it will be foam time again.

Tom
Old 11/01/2005, 12:49 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

What about anemonies? ...or am I pushing ?
Old 11/02/2005, 12:26 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Ah... FINALLY!!!!!

Ammonia = 0
Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 5

LR curing / tank cycling is officially OVER!!!!!!!!!

Tomorrow I suppose to get some LS (with critters). Some from Premium Aquatics and some from Jeff's Exotic Fish. I hope that'll start some movement in the sand. What shall I do next (besides waiting for a few more weeks)?

More good news: (no I did not saved a bunch of money on my car insurance ), I installed SEIO 1100 powerhead!!! That sucker BLOWS!!!!! (in a good way)

Oh... DHL called, they came up with the lamest excuse possible: "the shipping lablel fell of the box, so we did not know what to do with it"... I really hate those guys... don't use them... they suck! .. anyway, the lights should arrive on November 7th.. (October Revolution Day in Russia)
Old 11/03/2005, 12:55 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Just wanted to share some pictures after I installed sump and moved skimmer and heater down there. I have another heater in tank, but it is behind rocks on the left. Actually left side is kind of cluttered, i.e. syphon overflow and monsterous power head. I decided to leave right side of the tank as an open area, with only return pipe peaking from the top and the temperature sensor.

Full frontal:

And at an angle:

Just to amuse myself I checked water parameters:
pH = 8.2
Temp = 82.4
SG = 1.025
Amm = 0
Trite = 0
Trate = 5
dKH = 9

Tomorrow I should get 4 lbs of Fiji Live Sand from Jeff's Exotic Fish, then 2 lbs of pool bottom crude and 2 lbs of Florida LS from Premium Aquatics. Should be quite an orgy at the bottom of my tank .

Also from PA I am getting:
4 Nassarius Snails
8 Baha Snail (Cerith)
7.5 oz DT's Live Phytoplankton

I want more snail/etc... but all of the experts advised to stock incrementally, so I am doing just that.
Old 11/03/2005, 02:16 AM
Moved On

very nice. I'd say you're ready for fish and other livestock judging from the readings.