Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 08/10/2005, 03:35 PM
Premium Member

Phil, i read your request for IMG info and passed it up because i dont know the "real" answer i do know it is used to designate picture files on CPUs and on the web. an ".img" would designate a picture on your CPU and an "IMG tag" would represent the url for a picture. im not sure if thats clear (or precise) but thats the best way i understand, and can explain. HTH

Pat, id like to see pics of the Japanese swallow tail. the one i purchased was listd as a japanese, but is most definatly a female black spot swallow tail.

Bob, i think Borneman's book is the most in depth coral care and identification book i have found. i hear of others out there, but am yet to see any (in person) that compare.

Julians Sprung's quick reference guides have more than enough detail for the casual reader and are much easier to follow. they just dont have as detailed of care info, and have a small portion of the corals Borneman describes.

i have and use both regularly.
Old 08/10/2005, 03:45 PM
Premium Member

Landon, read what it says on the Pet Solutions page on the Japanese Swallowtail. It says alt name is black spot. I showed a picture of it a few posts ago. I'll get more once she's fully acclimated.
http://www.petsolutions.com/Info.aspx?id=184

*EDIT*
Phil, I belive Landon just types Img when he means to type "I'm".
Old 08/10/2005, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

landon, thanks i already ordered both. in addition to all my other hobbies,i can't ever get enough books. i must read 2 hrs a day
Old 08/10/2005, 04:06 PM
Premium Member

Bob, i cant get enough of books either. i have a few extensive hobbies also, and need extensive literature to go with them

:lol Pat, i mistype a lot!

also i dont know how, but the last half of the previous page was not displayed when i typed the last message. sorry to ask for pics that were allready posted.

Pat, there are two species of genicanthus that look really similar. IMO, that is a black spot. i can get the species names for both tommorrow when i go to the pet store. he has the mega book on fish IDing.

well im off for the night. its my wifes Bday and im cooking dinner tonight

Phil, YGPM

YGPM = you got private message
Old 08/10/2005, 05:10 PM
Premium Member

Here are the pictures of the what we got today:
Swallowtail

Foxface

Cardinal

Skunk Shrimp

The foxface still has that black blotch running along the back. I'm waiting for it to turn yellow and see the black dot like it's supposed to have.
Old 08/10/2005, 05:25 PM
Premium Member

Here's some TBS pictures I took today. It's so hard to get pictures of it since Bob suspended the lights. Most come out blurry.

Old 08/10/2005, 05:27 PM
Registered Member

That's not a mad Foxface, he's just a little upset. This is a MAD Foxface!

Mark
Old 08/10/2005, 05:29 PM
Premium Member

Great pics Pat! So who's tank gets what?
Old 08/10/2005, 05:30 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FireEater
That's not a mad Foxface, he's just a little upset. This is a MAD Foxface!

Mark
Wow! Is that a one spot foxface or a different species?
Old 08/10/2005, 05:31 PM
Premium Member

OMG that's what a mad foxface looks like?

I get the foxface and one skunk shrimp, and Bob gets the Angel, Cardinal and one skunk shrimp.
Old 08/10/2005, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan
OMG that's what a mad foxface looks like?

I get the foxface and one skunk shrimp, and Bob gets the Angel, Cardinal and one skunk shrimp.
What other fish do you have in your tank? in Bob's?
Old 08/10/2005, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

I can see the black dot on your Foxface but Im sure he looks better then he first did. Looks like his color is back to normal. Perhaps the black line will die down once he moves in (feels at home)
Old 08/10/2005, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

Here is mine above when he is normal. He is also about 6" long now.

Also, they turn black like that at night when they go down to sleep.

Mark
Old 08/10/2005, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by patsan

Cardinal

Hi Pat. I got two Bangaii Cardinals from Petsolutions too. They did great until the something took out one Cardinal one day, and then 4 days later, the other one was missing. Hard to believe but the Condy was looking mighty good after the fish went missing. I know they ( cardinals) were eating good as I bought live mysid shrimp to them when I got them.

Yet another mystery of the tank!
Old 08/10/2005, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

THAT's what I was expecting to get!!

He still has the black blotch...but it's only been a short while for him.

Mark, does yours change very often? I need to learn about this now, so I don't flip out if it changes color. Nowhere did it mention anything about changing color.

Danielle, I have the clown, tangs, gramma and this new guy. Bob has the clowns, gramma, the little blenny that I just showed in the picture and will get these 2 new ones.

That should keep us fine and now we can concentrate on corals!
Old 08/10/2005, 05:56 PM
Registered Member

Im jealous, wish I had money to put a order in every week . Glad you are able to . . Thanks for sharing your pics with the rest of us that unfortunately have to wait between additions.
Old 08/10/2005, 05:59 PM
Premium Member

That sounds like a nice mix in both tanks Pat. You'll have to post lots of pictures when all the inhabitants get into the main tank after quarantine. Should be a really pretty color mix.
Old 08/10/2005, 06:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by bstear
Im jealous, wish I had money to put a order in every week . Glad you are able to . . Thanks for sharing your pics with the rest of us that unfortunately have to wait between additions.
Don't be jealous. Everyone spends their money differently. We're just spending our kids inheritance now.

I went to bed totally normal one night when I was 37 years old, and an hour later woke up paralyzed, unable to walk or talk due to a massive stroke. Months of rehab, open heart surgery and a full year of recovery changes your views quickly about enjoying life because you never know what tomorrow will bring.

I don't put an order in every week....it just seems like that.

Yes, I got a little nervous after ordering the foxface and seeing the liveaquaria compatibility chart with tangs. If it wasn't good, then I would have had to keep the swallowtail and given Bob the foxface. But people have said it won't be a problem, so we'll stick to my original plan.

Oh no Brian...that's sad you lost both your cardinals. Bob always thought they were angel fish because angel fish in freshwater look similar...so that's why I got it for him. He's been calling that the angel. I have to keep reminding him it's a cardinal.
Old 08/10/2005, 06:13 PM
Registered Member

Pat, he'll change colors when he gets mad or something upsets him. They are very hardy fish and can take a lot. When he gets the black spots or line going, then something has him upset. Once he gets used to you, then he will stay yellow.

Mine is used to me but when company comes over he gets upset. They are great fish to have and mine eats hair algea when it pops up. He also picks at the rocks to keep them clean.

Get a small plastic chip clip and mount a small suction cup on it. Attach some romaine lettuce and attach it to the glass. Once he gets used to it, he will munch down on it. Romaine is supposed to have good nutrients in it for them.

They also change to the dark motled color when it is sleepy time.

It took a little bit before they got used to the lettuce. The purple tang kept attacking it and the foxface would charge around turning black. Then they settled down and the foxface tried some first. The purple tang finally gave in and ate some. Now they go crazy as soon as they see me getting it ready. The hippo tang is slowly eyeballing it, but will not commit to it yet.

Mark
Old 08/10/2005, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for explaining it to me Mark...I appreciate it!
Old 08/10/2005, 07:31 PM
Invertebrate Advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by greenbean36191
Brian, I know Dr. Rudman is interested in this too, so can you see individual eggs in the ribbons like you can with the Berghia spiral pictured in Anthony's article? I would have expected these guys to have lecithotrophic (nonfeeding) larvae, but I also expected a spiral. If you can't see individual eggs they are probably planktonic and you will have a much harder time raising them.
Well Mark I can't tell, my eyes just can't focus on them in their current positions. With the white bucket background I can't tell if they are clear with white dots or just white. I'm hoping to transfer the adults to a blue bucket after cleaning it very good and I hope that helps.

Here is a bad pic of the first egg mass above a aiptasia for comparison. The aiptasia is about the size of a penny across the oral disc. The angle makes it hard to see, but this egg mass is definitely in a spiral, just not tightly wound like the berghia egg masses.

For the rest of you non-nudibranch addicts here are some of my corals adapting very well to the main tank lights:

What I think are commonly called green meanies:

A green bumpy mushroom:

Some orange skirted and also orange skirts with orange centers on the right

Nothing up close here, just liked the picture:

B.
Old 08/10/2005, 08:31 PM
Premium Member

wow this thread is kicking up a notch again. I've been busy busy at work and lately have been on these 8am conference calls. Yuck.

So...Landon...I know what the IMG tags are...it's when you put them in your replies like this -...

Quote:

with the kalk drip I have a lot cheaper method than the Kent hang on thingy. well img not sure if its a lot cheaper, but img pretty sure that thing costs a bit. it is specifically for marine aquariums.

Now...what does img mean in that context - or is that a fat finger...?

Pat - no worries on the foxface. Totally normal behavior. One thing that hasn't been said though is that if it's really spooked I've seen a foxface fly out the tank to do some carpet surfing. I recall back in the days of the awful UGF, I had a foxface that hid behind the tubes and change color. Never did that for me/feeding time - but always with guests or if the tank lights came on suddenly (from night). Oh and my foxface had no problems with the YT I had back in the day.

Great pictures by the way. I know romaine lettuce was "the thing" (especially over iceberg) - but the "in" thing (if it is such) is not to feed fish vegetables that are from the "ground" - but to try Nori instead.

Brian the isopod hunter (aka garagebrian) or nudibranch keeper,
Great info on stars - thanks. An unknown bristle worm eh? Against my better scientific judgment - all ugly ones were sent to the great reef in the sky. Particularly the 5 antennae ones. It's too bad I wasn't able to catch any of them when I had the five mantis. Would have been interesting to see if mantis diet extended to worms.
Old 08/10/2005, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by phil519
I know romaine lettuce was "the thing" (especially over iceberg) - but the "in" thing (if it is such) is not to feed fish vegetables that are from the "ground" - but to try Nori instead.
I feed nori also. I get a big 1oz package for 99 cents. Once the fish start tearing into it though, it can be a mess. A little can go a long ways it seems.

Mark
Old 08/10/2005, 08:58 PM
Premium Member

That's actually a good point - I'm a firm believer in variety - and for the tangs - I think a great diet would be a mix of nori, formula two and other greens. Again back in the day when romaine was "in" - I never noticed a problem with feeding them that type of lettuce (even though I was eating iceberg...). Now the UGF OTOH....other than Paul B on RC - I don't know of anyone that runs a tank with one of those anymore. It was so disgusting when I finally shut down that tank.

Oh and pat - foxface aren't shy about grabbing other fish's poop. It's pretty gross. They are also prolific poopers. I think (but could be wrong) the foxface has a sharp dorsal spine on it's back - similar in sharpness to the way tangs have that barb in their tail. Not something you want have your hand poked on.
Old 08/10/2005, 09:17 PM
Premium Member

Phil, you have a pm.