Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/09/2005, 12:19 PM
Limestone cowboy

Pink yuma's, Lets see yours.

Ya know i am always surprised by my yuma's. I was hit by the sps bug, But i'll always have a spot in my tank for my yuma's.
Nothing beats a hot pink yuma, Well maybe a red comes close, But i think i like this color better. IMO
Well i start it off with my new baby.

Old 08/09/2005, 05:47 PM
Premium Member

I'll play with you. There is nothing funner than posting pictures.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08/10/2005, 04:34 AM
Registered Member

heres a pic of what i let slip away... not having money sucks

Old 08/10/2005, 07:48 AM
Limestone cowboy

Very nice brad and blind. Too bad you let it go. Hopefully you'll get another someday. I know how it is to go to school.
Your in cali anyways so your luck is better at getting another pink locally.
Old 08/10/2005, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

i hear that getting rics out on the west coast is harder than getting it on the east. i dunno why.
Old 08/10/2005, 09:34 PM
Premium Member

Under T5 blue plus
Old 08/11/2005, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Here is mine: http://aquaria.madwonderland.net/sal...s/pinkric2.jpg
Old 08/11/2005, 11:55 PM
Premium Member

Under 2 T% blue plus,l 1 ultra blue, 1 daylight
Old 08/12/2005, 12:41 AM
Premium Member

Guess the first one had all the lights on too. DAAAAAAA
Old 08/12/2005, 12:46 AM
Registered Member

Lol, I thought I was colorblind or something, I couldn't tell the difference.

Blind, too bad you had to let go of it, that's a sweet pink.

Beautiful yumas everyone, I'll post some later.
Old 08/12/2005, 06:00 PM
Registered Member

Here's a couple of pics of my Giant Powder Pink Yuma!!
Hope you like.

aidyb

Taken under 20k M/H & Actanics

Taken at night lights off but flash used on cam

Taken when lit only by the sun which falls on the tank for only 2 mins in the morning!

Back under tank lights again
Old 08/15/2005, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Oops, almost missed this thread. Here's a couple.

This one I got for free. Dying in a friends tank almost shriveled up to nothing. Took it and gave it a lot of TLC and now look at it. My pride and joy.

Old 08/15/2005, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Gorgeous macro, Blasto!!!
Old 08/15/2005, 11:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Blastomussaman
This one I got for free. Dying in a friends tank almost shriveled up to nothing. Took it and gave it a lot of TLC and now look at it. My pride and joy.

[/B]

I have a pink one now that is starting to shrivel up. What usually causes this and what can I do to help it recover?? Here's what it looked like before.

Last edited by GregM779; 08/15/2005 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08/17/2005, 04:47 AM
Registered Member

Thanks Alice, I'm quite pleased with those shots myself.

Greg, do you have a current pic? Also, take close pics of the foot and the mouth if you can.

To be honest, you asked the million dollar question. Meaning, $$$$$$ have gone down the drain with these gorgeous red/pink yumas. I know probably 1 out of 10 reefers that is able to keep them successfully for an excess of 1 yr. Most just last several months, if that.

What are your parameters? Yumas do not need SPS type tanks nutrient, flow, and lighting wise.

A host of problems can be involved in the melting of yumas and I really do not know enough about yours to assess the situation. Different illnesses will need different meds. Your pic of the yuma already looks stressed, and if you have it directly under your MH, it's not helping it.

Was this yuma a wild one or frag from others? Are you seeing lost of zoox every night before the lights go off?

When I mean lots of TLC, I mean it and they need it. Let me know more and I'll see if I can be of more help. But be forewarned, some tanks just can't keep them. Beauty comes with a price unfortunately.
Old 08/17/2005, 09:48 AM
Premium Member

Here's a current pic, I'll try to get a better one later. One of my friends also bought a similar one the same day at the same place I did mine and hers has already melted away, half of mine has melted away.

Here's a pic of where I had it, when I noticed something wrong I immediately moved it below the ledge for less light. As you can see I have Yumas all around it doing well and many more in the tank. We had a similar occurance about a month ago with some purplae yumas, about 5 people I know all purchased them and everyones have perished since then.
One suggestion that I got was to do a FW dip in case there is parasites on it, which I did yesterday.
What do you mean by TLC? I can't really feed it or do anything special other than move it out of the light and see if it recoops on it's own correct?

Tank Params are
SG 1.023
Nitrate <10
amm 0
nitrite 0
calcium 420
alkalinty 11 dkh
Old 08/17/2005, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Ahh, I didn't know it was already melting. When it starts to melt, the chances for survival is very slim.

I can't tell from the pic, where is it melting from? Foot or mouth? If from the foot, you still have a chance, but still, slim. The slime is contagious so you need to suck/siphon out as much of the slime/goo off of it, and put some flow to the area that it's sliming. If you have a sump, put it there and have some floss underneath to catch the slime. If not, isolate it away from other inverts and definitely away from light. At this point, it doesn't need any.

If it's melting from the mouth, it'll be gone shortly. No more than a couple of days. Good time to start running carbon if you're not already.

The FW dip might have stressed it more than actually helping. Though a healthy yuma can make the osmotic stretch, stressed yumas, I dare not to dip in FW. The cause for death of yumas is normally not parasitic, it's mostly stress (light, temp) or bacterial/fungal related from contamination or injury. I would go as far as doing a lugol's dip or some drops of peroxide directly on the infection. Even then, no miracle cures, still much TLC (tender loving care) is required including watching for and removal of fungal/bacterial build-ups with repeated periodical dips pending on the situation.

Purple and reds/pinks are collected in colder, deeper waters, nutrient laden and normally hidden in crevices partially shaded with very low flow. It's no surprise it's the first one to go in most of our highly lit, nutrient deprived, high flow tanks.

Nice tank btw, but becareful of that green yuma being close to a blasto. A healthy yuma will easily burn and kill blastos. And I would hate to see that happen to my favorite coral.

Best of luck.