Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 08/11/2007, 07:58 PM
Registered Member

Everything looks great but,that skimmer looks a little small for a 90.Just my opinion dont know the specs on it.
Old 08/11/2007, 08:36 PM
Premium Member

I thought so to. Below is the response from CPR who makes this fuge.

"The AquaFuge Pro Small has a six inch skimmer column that can efficiently skim tanks up to 100 gallons."

I guess I'll have to wait and see.

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Click on my red house to see my 90g build thread.
Old 08/13/2007, 12:51 PM
Premium Member

Day 5 & 6

Drained the tank and ordered some additional items.

1. Smaller clip on fans to cool VHOs
2. Moon lights
3. Mag Drive Water Pump 250 GPH and 40' of 1/2 tubing (for large water changes)
4. Maxi-Jet 400 Power Head (for salt water mixing)
5. Aqua Controller Jr. w/ Lab Grade pH & Temp Probe & Direct Connect 8

Contacted electrician to install a dedicated GFCI with four outlets. Due to the 100 plus temperature and probably 130 in the attic this may be postponed until next week.

The RO/DI is suppose to arrive today.

Old 08/13/2007, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

Day 6

Installed the RO/DI system this evening. Piece of cake.

I hooked it up in the laundry room using the washing machine outlet and drain.

Finished. I just have to adjust the tubing length and use some connectors to clean up the installation.

Tomorrow my lights are suppose to arrive. I'm going to the Rush concert tomorrow night so I hope they get here before I have to leave.

Old 08/13/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Hells yeah. Rush. Im seeing them on the 26th here in Indy.
Old 08/13/2007, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

I saw their first concert tour in 1974 at the Shrine Auditorium in L.A. They were the opening band and I can't remember who they opened for. All I remember is they blew the other bands away.

It's been 33 years and I can't wait to see them again.

Old 08/14/2007, 12:49 AM
Registered Member

Shoot, I just ordered the same RO/DI unit and forgot to get the Y hose adapter, and the hose to 1/4" adapter thing. Maybe I can still get those without being charged a new shipping fee. Thanks for the visuals, I completely forgot about those items.
Old 08/14/2007, 10:27 AM
Premium Member

You can pick up the Y adapter at Home Depot. I am not sure about the 1/4" reducer. They ship pretty quick so I would call them to see if can be added.

It took about 30 minutes to install and test. If you haven't used the quick fittings before they can be a bit tricky until you do it once. On the top where the hose goes in is a ring that is used to remove the hose. It can be white or gray. Pull up on the ring and the hose removes easily. To reinstall just push the hose in. The pressure switch has a plug installed that removes the same way.

Old 08/14/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

Hay Dano,

Very nice setup so far. I'll be tagging along to see your progess.

One suggestion, I'm not sure if it is because your not completely done yet but I would mount your power strip to the inside of your cabinet in case you get any water that drips down your line. You don't want that thing to get wet.
Old 08/14/2007, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Thanks

I am installing a Aqua Controller Jr. & Direct Connect 8 which will be mounted outside on the back of the stand.

I also am planning to add a 2 or 4 outlet (depending on price) with GFCI to a dedicated breaker on the wall behind the tank. I discovered my 15 A breaker for this tank will be the same as my home theater and according to the specs the plasma draws 700 W by itself. That sure seems high. It also goes to my garage door opener. If I can get a 20 A breaker installed that may also be sufficient. I have 14 gauge wires installed but I don't know enough to tell. The electrician's coming over tomorrow so I'll ask.

Old 08/14/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Very cool. I just rigged mine up with some GFCI outlets. I feel much safer now. The Aqual Controller Jr. should be great. Let us know how it all works out.

Oh, I contacted the filter guys and they put in the other additions without charging extra for the shipping. They are very nice and fast to respond.

It should be here next week. I plan on putting it on the washing machine like you did.
Old 08/14/2007, 02:22 PM
Registered Member

Sorry if someone has replied this or you know already. I STRONGLY recommend that you mount your sixplug outlet on the cabinet wall. Don't just let it sit there on the ground because if you should ever have a leak... Saltwater and electricity is not a good combination. Potential fire hazzard! You have such a nice house, I wouldn't want to see it up in smoke for something as simple as that. And why not get yourself a GFCI while your at it.

Just my penny and a half. BTW sweet setup though.

(DUH! I tried to delete this post, didnt see the second page and thats why I'm a noob... thank you very much)

Last edited by brucesly; 08/14/2007 at 02:28 PM.
Old 08/14/2007, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

No Problem. I knew I would get some posts in reference to the location of the power strip. It was only used to perform the test run.

Old 08/15/2007, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

Day 7

My 48" x 6 IceCap VHO retrofit kit arrived today.

Old 08/15/2007, 11:40 AM
Premium Member

Day 8

Today I installed the dedicated 20 amp GFI.

I also ordered two 15 gallon Tamco Polyethylene Tanks with Covers. They measure 14" x 27" and have 1/2 gal increment markings. They will be used for the auto top off and water changing storage.

Old 08/15/2007, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Wow, things are really coming along. Good luck with the lights, I just did those a few days ago.
Old 08/16/2007, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

Nice thread, i should be setting my in the next few weeks, i am learning here. I like the AGA Classic Mission Cherry stand and canopy a lot i almost got it,but didn't like the very soft particle board under the veneer or laminate not sure what it is. At a local Petco they have one on display and the particle board bubbled up from water damage. I will show my carpenter your detailed pictures of the canopy so he has an idea of what i want for my caonpy. He has never done a fish tank so he has no clue. But he does nice work and cheap, he completed my entertainment center which will match the reef tank, since they are going on the same wall. Thanks again for posting you may have save me some pain when you mention the power draw of your plasma, i will check my out. It is going on the same line as my tank, and i too already got 2 x IC 660.
Old 08/16/2007, 01:08 AM
Registered Member

nice setup! makes my 90 look like crap!!!!
Old 08/16/2007, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

Looks great, will be following along on this one for sure. Keep the pics coming and good luck!
Old 08/17/2007, 06:22 PM
Premium Member

Day 10

I was out of town a couple of days and came home to of bunch of packages for this tank project. I don't know what they are yet but it kind of feels like Christmas only more expensive.

I want to install the lights this weekend so I hope my fans are in one of these boxes.

Old 08/17/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

looking forward to the new light setup
Old 08/17/2007, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

cant wait to see it done!
Old 08/18/2007, 08:47 PM
Premium Member

Day 11

I started today applying black backing to the tank. I used a product called Water Colors. It went on real easy and time will tell if it lasts.

Old 08/18/2007, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

Day 11 LIGHTS

The main project for today was to install lights on the canopy. I purchased the 48" 6x54W SLR T5 Very High-Output Retrofit Kit w/ Bulbs. Not quite sure how this was going to go since I haven't seen any detailed installation threads. I tried to capture most of the progress.

Tools needed not included with kit

Flat head screw driver
Phillips Screw driver
Wire strippers and cutters
Scratch Awl
electrical tape
16 - 9 X 3/4" wood screws
24 - 8 X 1" wood screws
12 - 8 X 5/8' wood screws
12 - 1/2 " cable clamps
10' of 3/8" Split wire loom tubing
optional moon lights

First thing was to see what was included. Everything seemed to be there including the candy that comes with each order from Reef Geek.

This one had tootsie rolls. I guess this is to keep up your energy since this project lasted most of the day. A six pack would have done just as well.

At his point I went to ACE hardware and picked up the non included items listed above. I also stopped off for a six pack for when the job was done.

The first thing to do is remove the coating from the reflectors.

Next install lamp clips. I slightly adjusted the metal flaps so the opening was just big enough to allow the screw to screw into the hole. Then attach the nut and tighten down. This made sure the final product was flat and even.

Next I placed the end caps with the bulbs in the canopy to see how it would fit. After aligning all the main canopy end caps I marked each position with an scratch awl through the screw holes.

Make the ends slightly less than 47" apart (not the holes). 47" will barely make connections when installing the bulbs.

Also the end caps connect to the standoffs with either the short end or long end pointing out away from the bulbs. I chose the short end because I was limited to 47".

Next I installed Moon Lights. I used the Current USA Lunar Light: Nocturnal Blue Moon Light and Lunar links. I forgot the main light when I placed my order and only received the links as in the picture. When the Main Lunar light comes next week I will then add it to the canopy.

to be continued

Last edited by Dano999; 08/18/2007 at 09:13 PM.
Old 08/18/2007, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

Day 11 Lights continued

Next I wired up each end cap for the main canopy and the lid. Only thing to look out for is to pay close attention to the wiring diagram and cut your wire to the right lengths. Remember to give some room for the lid when the canopy opens.

I put the two bulbs from 430 ballast on the front and back. These will be used for Dawn and Dusk. The middle four are installed on the 660 ballast which will be used for mid day.

I then installed the ballasts to the rear of the canopy. If you have one of these canopies be careful of the center support as it's breaks easily. I used a 5/8" wood screw to fix the area that weakened but it probably won't last. I am doubtful the support is really needed.

After completing the wiring I used the loom tubing and cable clamps to secure the wiring. Anyone else would have probably tested before they did this.

I finished the remaining wires with some electrical tape.

Next I installed the bulbs, reflectors and end caps. Making sure the bulbs were seated properly. Hold the bulbs as you screw on the end cap to make sure it does not turn.

The bulbs used are as follows:

Front
UVL Super Actinic
ATI Aquablue
UVL Aquasun
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquablue
ATI Blue Plus

At this point I was ready to test so I plugged in the 430 ballast first and YES LIGHTS. I then plugged in the 660 ballast and "CRAP" the ballast shut down immediately. OK so this is where I said anyone else would of tested first.

Now came some trouble shooting. Since I checked the wiring twice before I finished I was thinking it was a defective bulb. When observing the bulbs as soon as I plugged in the ballast I noticed all but one bulb would come on before shutting down. I just so happened to have a spare bulb although not right one for the one I replaced. I replaced the bulb and tested again. and "LIGHTS".

to be continued