Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/27/2007, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

do you know how to plumb for a wet dry? Do you have a return pump? I offered to give you my number and you could call me.
Listen....oncew again....here's the deal.
This is far, far more complicated than you think. At this rate one morning you are going to wake up and 75% of your fish are going to bed dead, and the rest will die thatday. This is not said to be mean, it is not said as speculation, it is fact. You are not set up to sustain life long term. If you want my help, i will help you. there is a certain point where you can do and try different (safe) things. (calcium dosing, additives, feeding techniques, etc...) But there are some core basics you need to follow to getr set up. If you don't STOP what you are doing, you are going to loose everything. Stop now...back up.....make some corrections or this will be a very short lived, and wasted hobby for you.
Old 02/27/2007, 01:26 PM
Registered Member

Adrian, Are your parents willing to, or will you let them help you? Someone has to be driving you around to get this stuff? Did they give you the tank for Christmas?
Old 02/27/2007, 02:12 PM
Registered Member

I would recommend slowing down a bit. Also do you have a test kit? If so give us your parameters. If you don't have a test kit I would recommend getting one right away. If you don't have a test kit you cannot know whether your fish are really as healthy as you think they are. Trust me I know I made the same mistakes in freshwater. I would recommend getting more live rock. However don't just throw it in your tank, read some more about "cooking" new live rock. Also get a good quality skimmer preferably euroreef or ASM. Finally I would definitely advise against setting up a reef tank right away. Start out fish only and if eventually ( say in a year) decide to take the plunge of reef keeping go for it.

Nobody's trying to be mean they are just trying to help you get the most out of the hobby.
Old 02/27/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

Hey guys, can't adrianne get a hang on skimmer for a 55gal? In general, Don't they cost less?
Plus, a lot of people upgrade....so you might have better luck finding a hang on style for less $$$.
Old 02/27/2007, 02:56 PM
Registered Member

He probaly could but if he is thinking of starting a reef tank ever he's probaly better off paying a bit more.
Old 02/27/2007, 02:59 PM
Reefer

He could get away with water changes every 2 weeks and no skimmer it would work fine, I would try a couple maxi jets
Old 02/27/2007, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

i would go buy 10 Yellow tangs and 15 midas blennys, that should help out your cause..

also put some bleach in you filter (helps w/ coraline growth)

BWAHAHAHHA...this cant be true!

POST A PICTURE SO I CAN PEE MY F-ING PANTS!
Old 02/27/2007, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

I think the "key" to sucess in "this" case, is to make it as easy and affordable as possible. If his parents will help, the it will be easier....otherwise.....well....adrian... you are going to have to start making some better choices on how to spend your money, exactly which purchases to make, and in what order.

---------------------------------------------------
Old 02/27/2007, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

agreed
Old 02/27/2007, 03:30 PM
Registered Member

adrian don't listen to undercoverdork!

undercoverdork.....dude be careful what you say. he might just do it.
Old 02/27/2007, 03:42 PM
Mississippi Reefer

Undercoverdork,

Here at Reef Central, we believe that dialogs between participants should be conducted in a friendly and helpful manner. If you disagree with a posting, please express yourself in a way that is conducive to further constructive dialog. Thank you for your cooperation.
Old 02/27/2007, 04:26 PM
Moved On

Re: yeaaaaaaaa im getting the hang of salt tanks

Quote:
Originally posted by adrian52492
hi i have a 55gallon tank with 5lbs of live rock and crushed coral i cycled with two yellow tail damsels.every thing went good so today i got 10 more fish 2 domino damsels,2 blue damsels,3 cromeies,and 2 blue fish suppose damsels so my question is why is every one telling me that their agressive and they are livving like their famaly no attacks and they stay together most of the time ive wathed them all day and their not attacking each other or even trying to bother each other o i also have 10 blue leged hermets and 3 bumble bee snail o and how many more fish can i put in the tank and in the tank also i have stock lites and i have a small piece of coral on my live rock and its fine i plan to put 4 clowns and some anemanie's 40 more pounds of live rock and 10 more crabs and two pepermint shrimp.
talk about a run-on sentence! there's like one period in that whole paragraph.

I agree with a lot of people here that your original post sounds fake...your thread title is you have the hang of things but then you go on to desribe every pitfall there is in the book. your weird.

but anyways, here is some serious advice for you. you say you have a friend on this board that has a 10 nano, a 100 tank, and A 220? WHY DONT YOU GO TO HIS HOUSE AND LOOK AT HIS STUFF AND ASK HIM TO EXPLAIN TO YOU?

Last edited by ralphie16; 02/27/2007 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02/27/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

I got somthing that might help you. You need a wet/dry and I need cash $50 BUCKS takes it

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1053350

Check out my 90G build. Click the little red house.
Old 02/27/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

I know nothing about plumbing anyones tank ther than my own. I have a 92 gallon with built in overflow.
If he has a 55, he is going to need to know what to do to set up a wet dry.
It's basically just a glass box right now. correct, or am I missing something. He is going to need a SERIOUS walk through.
-k
Old 02/27/2007, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

I know nothing about plumbing anyones tank ther than my own. I have a 92 gallon with built in overflow.
If he has a 55, he is going to need to know what to do to set up a wet dry.
It's basically just a glass box right now. correct, or am I missing something. He is going to need a SERIOUS walk through.
-k
Old 02/27/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

Oh Gosh Adrian the last thing you need is a wet dry. You need a protein skimmer. Ask mom if she can loan you $100 to $200 bucks.
May everyone have equanimity, free from hatred and attachment.
Old 02/27/2007, 05:06 PM
Just call me LDogg

most wet/dry filters have a HOB overflow with spa flex tubing that runs down to the wet/dry. He would need a return pump, and PVC to create the return pipe, but again, he could use flexable PVC up to a 90, and then another 90 down into the tank. would be a good, cheap way to do it for now. Also make sure you don't use the bio balls, put a piece of Live rock in there or leave it empty for now. Get a decent cheap skimmer. 100-200 bux and put the skimmer in there.
Old 02/27/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

hey adrian – I remember when I was your age. I was far from taking an interest in a cool hobby such as saltwater reefs. I think it is awesome your taking on such a complicated and difficult hobby. You just need to slow down a lot and take your time. Nothing....and I mean nothing happens overnight. If you expect it to...you’re going to make a expensive mistake...and that’s expected, we all make them at first. I’ve been doing this hobby for over three years and I still consider myself a newbie. Ive had a lot of success from reading right from this forum. I know some people can be jerks, but do listen to the ones that are trying to help. And never be afraid or intimidated to ask questions.
Old 02/27/2007, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

I have to say that I must agree with fish511, you are moving way to fast. I had a hard time getting this through to my boyfriend who also tried to move way to fast but with much bigger fish. We both went through the Damsel deal, they are very aggressive with other fish, always ended up having to get rid of the Damsels.

He went through hundreds of dollars of fish and many outbreaks of ich before he finally learned that slow is better. Three very nice Webb Burr puffers lost their lives to his impatience. It will only create frustration for you in the long run and I would hate to see you loose your enthusiasm for the hobby because of it. Take it slow. Think about what fish you really want, are you more interested in corals than you are in fish and if you are, be careful what types of fish you are choosing now if having a reef tank is your ultimate goal.

I myself have also made all of these mistakes and am sure I will make a few more along the way. Listen to everyone's advice because only people with a true passion for the hobby would put themselves through the disappointments over and over again to eventually feel the satisfaction and enjoyment of this truly exciting hobby.

For each reply you get where you think that someone is putting you down keep in mind that after reading your post they are probably thinking, Yup....I did that before I learned better. Take advice, try different things, observe what happens and learn from the experience. If it's working stick with it, if it's not change strategies. Patience is a true virtue, use it and you will be rewarded.

WI Reef Lover
Old 02/27/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

Can wait to see youre progress. good luck
Old 02/27/2007, 06:15 PM
Registered Member

Guys, Lets be real here. We all try to help when and where we can, right? This has got to be a put on. This Adrian is a master chain yanker!!

Should be nominated for thread of the month, IMO.
Old 02/27/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

zoomfish, if that is the case, I am going to feel like a total (fill in the blank) , because I was seriously skeptical at first. My main problem with this right now, is that I have offered to help. I am here, you are here, everyone else has been here.....where the heck is adrian???

A little game of Wheel of Fortune:

L _ _ T C _ _ S _
Old 02/27/2007, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

My point. But, don't feel bad. I have a lot of excperience with anemones and tried to help a young person on that forum, just like you are trying to do. Just trying to leesen the let down, I guess.

edit: And I would like to buy a vowel, is there an "E"?
Old 02/27/2007, 07:23 PM
Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by kayaaandjaden
zoomfish, if that is the case, I am going to feel like a total (fill in the blank) , because I was seriously skeptical at first. My main problem with this right now, is that I have offered to help. I am here, you are here, everyone else has been here.....where the heck is adrian???

A little game of Wheel of Fortune:

L _ _ T C _ _ S _
Daycare????
Old 02/27/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

nope...applicable, but not correct.