Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 06/22/2007, 12:30 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

I've cleaned out manually as much algae as I could.... still, I've got to get a herbovore that'll eat red turf and bubble algae... there is just too much in small holes that I couldn't get to.

Yesterday i've found one of my chromis in posession of one of my cats poor guy probably jumped out, and my cats had sushi.
Old 06/22/2007, 04:31 AM
Registered Member

What are the specs of your camera? They take great pics
Old 06/22/2007, 04:42 AM
reef-nut

I've lost 2 chromis to jumping out.
As far as bubble algae and red turf all I can think of is hermit crabs, maybe an emerald crab.

Problem with buying an animal for a specific job, most of them don't do it...
Old 06/22/2007, 06:31 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

ebolii, camera is Nikon D200, but I can't take credit for pictures, my wife is into photography, so she takes all the cool pix, ... crappy ones are mine ))

druce, I totally agree, that getting bunch of "cleaners" wont do the job on their own. I suppose, in combination with good maintanance I think I might win the battle Thanks for suggestion on the critters, though. I have one emerald crab, but he (or she) is very lazy. As far as hermits, I don't want to introduce them to my hermit free system. Maybe an urchin or herbivore fish, .... but I am not sure how to proceed just yet. Still researching.
Old 06/22/2007, 06:32 PM
reef-nut

I have a foxface if you want him.. he's about 4-5" long and is part chicken
Old 06/22/2007, 08:30 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

thanks druce, does he eat valonia?
Old 06/22/2007, 08:47 PM
reef-nut

he only eats stuff you don't want him to, as well as all the food meant for the whole tank

he's part pig too
Old 06/24/2007, 05:10 PM
reef-nut

have you taken the chaeto out and shook it in a bucket of clean water just to rinse it off?
Old 06/25/2007, 12:42 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

I had shaken chaeto, but it felt slimy and weak, so ... I threw it away. Got some new chaeto mixed with Caulerpa Racemosa from local reefer. For about four days it held up pretty nicely. I will be monitoring it.
More deaths: my shrimps and four snails died. I suspect it was all part of chain reaction: chaeto death, bad water, dead shrimps, more bad water, dead snails.... I had made another mistake: I smelled the snail's shells.... after that I lost my sense of smell for about an hour. Man! they stank bad!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyways, so no more deaths yesterday and today... I am doing water change tonight, planning on 20% of total water volume.
Put another power head in. while doing it, I "fragged" small piece of some SPS, ... so trading is ON
Old 06/25/2007, 12:50 PM
reef-nut

I had issues like that last fall with my macro algae dying off and I think that contributed to the crash of my tank

Kudos on the water change. And yes - the dead snail smell is something no one can forget!
Old 06/25/2007, 12:50 PM
reef-nut

might want to run some carbon too to get rid of any stray chemicals.... can't hurt
Old 06/25/2007, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about your losses, I have just recovered from a crash and know what its like! and the smell....

Just a a quick question I have a Nikon D50 that I bought for my 130 project, do you use any filters, and what lense do you use I am finding it hard to get the glow from the corals but I am starting to get some good macros?

Sean

You paid how much for moldy rock!!!!
Old 06/25/2007, 01:18 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Yes, carbon is in there already. Thanks for the reminder

Sean, I believe there is only polarizer gets used, .. and the lens is "normal" 50mm focal length, appertue (sp?) 1.4
Old 06/25/2007, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Thanks, I do not use a polarizer so maybe that will help a bit! I have just managed to trust myself with all the settings apart from focus!

You paid how much for moldy rock!!!!
Old 07/15/2007, 03:16 AM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Just measured my Alk, a few weeks after I added Phosban. It had dropped down to 5.8dKH!!!!
Mega mega kudos to Chemistry Calculator and baking soda!!!! I've mixed 1/4 cup of baking soda to a gallon of water. I plan to add the contents of this potion over a period of a couple of days along with some fresh water for evap. This should bump my alk back to 11dKH.
Old 07/15/2007, 09:12 AM
reef-nut

I let mine slide too - good thing you caught it! I should check mine too.
Old 07/19/2007, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TekCat
Just measured my Alk, a few weeks after I added Phosban. It had dropped down to 5.8dKH!!!!
Mega mega kudos to Chemistry Calculator and baking soda!!!! I've mixed 1/4 cup of baking soda to a gallon of water. I plan to add the contents of this potion over a period of a couple of days along with some fresh water for evap. This should bump my alk back to 11dKH.
Phosban drops your alk?

The research never stops...
Old 07/19/2007, 02:13 PM
Cyanobacteria farmer

Yes, I've read up on this. Source is one of Randy's articles, and it does tell us that ferric oxide hydroxide affects alkalinity. I guess it's gonna take a few lifetimes to figure everything out