Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/11/2005, 05:32 AM
Registered Member

Sun Coral

hi everyone im not sure but i think i should put this in here. I went out today and bought a couple of things for my tank one was a sun coral ( sorry no pics ) i was just wondering on what to do for the first few days/weeks like feeding and etc?
Old 04/11/2005, 06:10 AM
Registered Member

You need to feed it everyday or every other day for each polyp.

I used to feed mine brime shrimp and mysis. I also found that it love flow.
Old 04/11/2005, 06:23 AM
Registered Member

yea i got a mix for it thanks bigfishman i just didnt know to feed it the first day into the tanks but thanks.
Old 04/11/2005, 07:13 AM
Registered Member

You are welcome!
Old 04/11/2005, 08:34 AM
Montigyra kenti

I use a turkey baster to squirt mysis, cyclopeeze, etc. onto each individual polyp. I feed mine 3-4 times per week, but many recommend feeding them everyday. It should extend its polyps soon after the lights have turned off, but I have heard that by feeding it everyday at the exact same time you can "train" it to extend when you want it to.

I do not think they have high requirements for tank condition. I have put mine in high flow, low flow, no flow, high light, no light (I think you get the idea ) IME, all they need is to be fed often, and they will be fine. I think the idea of them being very difficult to keep is caused by people that do not know of their feeding requirements, or do not want to take the time to feed them.

Good luck with your new Tubastrea
Old 04/11/2005, 07:21 PM
Slave to Lower Life Forms

I don't feed mine nearly that often, and there are new little ones showing up every week. I feed a mix of Marine Plankton (frozen cyclopeez) and mysis with a small syringe weekly. The trick with mine is feed the tank first. They seem to sense when there's food in the water. I've slowly gotten them to open a little earlier each night, so no worries about bothering everyone else after lights out.
Old 04/12/2005, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

Thanks well it hasn't came out yet and its been two days is it still ok?
Old 04/13/2005, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

i feed mine once a week also. i take it out of the tank and put it in a bowl with lost of frozen mysis/brine/cyclopeeze. it s till opens everynight and there lots of new polyps on the main colony, plus baby ones around the tank.
Old 04/13/2005, 09:03 PM
Slave to Lower Life Forms

Reef= Addiction mine took about 3-4 days to open and I was a little concerned myself, but it was fine after that.
Old 04/16/2005, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Thanks i went and got some Brine Shrimp Cubes and im trying to feed it but when i feed it, it floats to the top and i dont know what to do.

The coral comes out but its to late the frozen cubes are not frozen anymore and are on the top of the tank?

Half of my coral is extending as the othe half isnt any ideas?

Thanks
Old 04/16/2005, 10:42 PM
Registered Member

Sorry when i am feeding it i turn all equipment off
Old 04/17/2005, 04:36 PM
Registered Member

ok mate your a bit confused i think, the cubes have to be melted before the coral can eat them, im sure you dont eat frozen burgers!. and brine shrimp are no good, you need to get frozen mysis shrimp. then take your coral out of the tank(in-tank feeding causes pollution problems) but in a bowl of aquarium water, you need to replace the water you take out with fresh saltwater make sure its the same SG/pH. put the frozen cubes in the bowl swirl it until its all melted and your coral should feed. leave it in the bowl for 20 minutes. and make sure the bowl is big enough for the coral to expand totally without touching the side.

this is exactly what i do, i feed 4 cubes, once a week and my coral is growing well, and still expands everyday. its easier than daily feeds and you dont introduce all those nutrients to your aquarium.
Good Luck
Old 04/17/2005, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

Thank you very much Javeo thats the best info i have heard so far
Old 04/17/2005, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

I spot feed mine 3 times a week with a syringe with a long tube on it.I feed chopped up fish [usually salmon].If you shave it and chop it wkile it is still frozen you can get it into nice small bits.I don't feed every polyp although I do feed all areas of the colony.I have had it 1 year and it is growing new polyps.
Old 04/17/2005, 11:29 PM
Registered Member

Thanks do you take it out of the water? or leave it in i think i will go with Javeo's idea but do it twice a week
Old 04/18/2005, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

I leave the sun coral in the tank because it grabs the food firmly and quickly.I have a couple of other corals that are not as easy to feed and I do take them out to feed.Also my sun coral seems sensitive to movement and withdraws quickly.
Old 04/18/2005, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

Thumbs up

glad to hear that i could help, it depends on the coral, mine is not at all shy and the polyps stay out even when im holding it out of water. also if you have other creatures, esp cleaner shrimp, in your tank they will effectivly mug your coral for the food.
a word of caution about feeding in a bowl, make sure you either swirl the water alot or put in a air line. so much food in such little water will quickly deplete the oxygen and your coral may "throw up" what its eaten. i know from experiance!
Old 04/18/2005, 07:16 PM
The Dude abides

If your sun coral won't come out when you take it out of your tank (mine won't), then target feed it with a turkey baster. Just melt the food in water, slurp it up, and then squirt it onto the open polyps in your tank.

A mix of food is good, mysis, cyclopseeze, etc.
Old 04/18/2005, 10:45 PM
Registered Member

I havent got any shrimp but even so i will do what Javeo said thanks but everyone!

P.S Have you got any photo's
Old 04/22/2005, 07:48 PM
Registered Member

Personally I use the turkey baster method with melted shrimp or just about anything really. I feed everything else in the tank first and get them good and stuffed, while they are eating the Sun starts to come out and get ready to eat. I then take my baster and squirt shrimp all over the tentacles and they quickly pull the food into the mouth and eat it. All the while I chase the cleaner shrimp to the other side of the tank since he is such a fat bastard
Old 04/22/2005, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Thanks nsiegel5 do u have any photos?
Old 04/22/2005, 11:38 PM
Registered Member

Talking

heres mine
This is with once weekly feedings, after 5 months.

Old 04/23/2005, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

I make a container with a lot of big holes, then cover the dendro and black sun coral. I use the turkey syringe to targeting feeding a little bit first. When the sun coral smells the food, it will come out, at this time I heavyly feed whatever left. Good luck.

Old 04/23/2005, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Well they are great guys

Javeo how big was it when you first got it?
Old 04/23/2005, 10:20 AM
Registered Member

Black sun Coral

Looks good where did you get it from? Are they hard to get?