Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/25/2006, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

Bubble in center of hammers!?

I have some branching hammer about 4 heads 1 of them has 2 mouths and a "bubble". Another has 3 mouths and a "bubble" in the center. The two heads are obvously splitting the question I have is, is it normal for them to have what looks like a bubble in the center between the mouths when splitting? Sorry camera is broke cant post pic. other then the "bubble" the look very healthy and are growing very fast. Its been years scence ive had any lps corals and cant remember if this is normal or not.
Old 04/25/2006, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Not for sure if is directly related to splitting.

However, it is not all that uncommon to have a bubble like you descibe form.
Old 04/25/2006, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply! I wasent to worried about it as it has split from 3 heads to almost 7 in about a month and is growing very fast. Just thought I would ask and see what others think. Thanks again David.
Old 04/25/2006, 10:03 PM
Registered Member

It is directly related to splitting. It is the two heads dividing. Your hammer may not extend fully for a couple of weeks or so and may not look really good for a while, but once it is done splitting it will look better than ever. Just be patient, and I assure you it is just dividing heads. Grow baby grow!

Jeff
Old 04/25/2006, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply Jeff they have been looking not as good in the past few days (not extending fully) but I chalked it up to them splitting. Im amazed I got them about 3 or 4 weeks ago at my lfs and are splitting allready. It was 3 heads of branching hammer when I got it and now it is 4 working on being 7 wow im impressed! Im going to need a bigger tank soon hint hint wink wink as soon as I can convince my wife. My corals are growing so fast. I have a silver xenia that has split 3 time in the 5 weeks ive had it. My pom pom xenia has gone from 2 stalks to 8 in 2 and a half weeks. My 3 crocea clams have had 2 new rings of groth on there shells in a month or so. Im in heaven and will soon be able to justify a bigger tank!
Old 04/26/2006, 08:14 AM
Registered Member

Thats an amazing growth rate. What are you putting in the water
Old 04/26/2006, 10:14 AM
Registered Member

On a sort of related note...

I have a branching hammer coral. It is very happy since being added to my tank about 3 weeks ago. I feed it mysis and frozen invert food 2-3x a week. It seems to be growing some. I noticed some teeny buds on the sides of the "stems" they are about the size of 1/2 a grain of sand but appear to have little teeny coral heads on them. I am very excited about this.

What I am not excited about is that a strand of macro algae got caught on one of the branches. it is now starting to grow. Should I be worried about the heads getting choked with algae? Will the algae naturally say away from the coral heads? Should I pick it off with tweezers?
Old 04/26/2006, 01:00 PM
Registered Member

Yes, you really want to rid the show tank of macro algae. While definately not a big of a problem as hair types, it can and will aggrevate corals if left unchecked. If you want to keep macro best to put it in a refugium type setup away from the show tank.

As far as the baby heads on the side, it is fun to see. However they are slow growing so don't expect much in the coming months. Probably looking at a year or more out before get they get to be any appreciatable size.
Old 04/26/2006, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Thats an amazing growth rate. What are you putting in the water

Im sure ill hear it all for this but here we go. Its in my 10gal nano I have no filtration or skimmer on the tank! I do 1-2 10% water changes per week using reef crystals. Every other water change I add KENT Essential Elements and I feed the corals KENT Zooplex about once a week. The water movement is taken care of by 2 powerheads. Its been up and running for about a year and everything is doing great.
Old 04/26/2006, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

this is a pic of the hammer its a few weeks old and dosent show all the heads but its the best I can do till I get my camera fixed