Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/25/2006, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Water Quality

I don't know exactly were to post this, but my LPS and softie tank has a film of oil or something at the top of the tank on the water. It has been like this for a long time and I assume it is from putting my hand in the tank to move something or feed. It doesn't seem to be hurting anything but I am tired of it being there. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to ge this oil out?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04/25/2006, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

you need to be breaking thhe surface.
your reefs surface can not be still, it needs to be agitated.

keep the flowup on top to break the surfaace and this will allow for proper oxegyn exchange as well.

good luck

Joe
Old 04/25/2006, 09:16 PM
Bee Wrangler

If you had some type of surface skimmer, whether an actual surface skimming protein skimmer or an external overflow draining into a sump or fuge, you would get rid of the film. Most of the dissolved waste in the tank can and will accumulate at the top of the water, so it is vital to remove or porcess this layer.
Old 04/25/2006, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

I have alot of surface agitation. I have a canister filter (350g/hr.) blowing on the surface and I have a surface skimmer. It is a Red Sea Prizm. It doesn't do a good job, but soon I will be setting up a sump with an ASM skimmer. The film on the water just forms around where the canister blows at the top. Is their any other ways you guys can think of to get rid of it?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04/25/2006, 09:57 PM
Bee Wrangler

Does the skimmer have a surface skimming box? You need to get the surface layer of water into the skimmer or filter. If its pulling water from 2" down, then it doesn't do any good. And agitation is just pushing it around.
Old 04/25/2006, 10:01 PM
Registered Member

The skimmer has an attachment around the inlet pipe that is supposed to draw water from the surface but I don't think it really does. I can't wait to get a new skimmer. Will the ASM in the sump help fix this problem? If not what do you recommend?

Thanks,
Jeff
Old 04/25/2006, 11:26 PM
Registered Member

it will defnitley pull ou t more **** (:

which in turn will reduce the level of disolved organics, and possily end this problem.

do you feed heavy?
Old 04/26/2006, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

This is very typical with sumpless tanks. Once you put a sump on there and an overflow box it will solve the issue.

If you haven't heard this already, GET THE TANK DRILLED. Do not put your trust in a siphon overflow box.
Old 04/26/2006, 01:03 PM
Moved On

I had a nondrilled tank setup for a temp tank for a while with no sump. I hooked up one of those aquaclear surface skimmers for like $9 and it was AWSOME... hooked it up to a maxi-jet and it kept the surface clear. Before I added this is was always mucky.

If you don't plan on adding a sump soon this may be a good $9 option for you. It's hard to explain, but it sort of floats in the water and so after you adjust if the water level can chang from evap and it still works like a champ.

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewIt...roduct=HG11006
Old 04/26/2006, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

Grigor:

Why do you insist on getting the tank drilled? Just curious because I do rely on an overflow box for my 40 gallon.
Old 04/26/2006, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

mussel20, if you're looking for a quick temporary fix, use a paper towel and lay it gently over the water surface, then pull it off quickly. repeat until the surface scum is gone! a little unconventional and messy, but it'll work for now until you get your overflow box and ASM going.
Old 04/26/2006, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everybody, I will be setting up the sump in two weeks. I have to move the tank because I am moving out of my apartment and don't want to have to set up the sump and then move it soon after. I will be putting the ASM in then too. In the meantime i will try gizmo7718's idea. Thanks for the replies everybody. Oh and David Grigor, why not trust a siphon overflow box?

Jeff
Old 04/29/2006, 10:12 PM
Premium Member

I do not understand why everyone bad mouths the syphon over flow box either. I have had mine running now for about three months and I have not ever had any problems. If you install it right you will not have any problems.

Chris