Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/09/2007, 10:34 PM
Moved On

I have gotten a couple of new corals. Colt,green star polyps, disc coral. I am going to change my avatar do you think I should do the first pic or second pic of my YWG or neither of them?

Old 12/09/2007, 10:37 PM
Huge Member

Brian,

I'd keep that GSP on an isolated rock on the sand. It'll grow so fast you won't know what happened. And its a PITA to get off the rocks and such.

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 12/09/2007, 10:47 PM
Moved On

Can any one resize the YWG pics I tried and as you can it is really blurry.
Old 12/09/2007, 10:51 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Snowboarda42
Brian,

I'd keep that GSP on an isolated rock on the sand. It'll grow so fast you won't know what happened. And its a PITA to get off the rocks and such.
I am thinking about taking the rock thath is connecting the rock where the GSP are in front of so that want happen. And I will put it up above the sinurlia. Does that make any sense?
Old 12/09/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by yellowwatchmen
Can any one resize the YWG pics I tried and as you can it is really blurry.
Email me the original, I can give it a shot.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:45 AM
Moved On

Thanks for doing that. I got a new pic since that one was really blurry, the new pic is my avatar right now. I will post a FTS today since I moved some rock around.
Old 12/11/2007, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Brian,
Really nice tank, I was 54 when I started mine have pics but have loaded them yet, I am proud of you, better then vidio games and drugs!! I have a 6 line and a blue star leapord wrasse, no problem. But you can never tell until there in there together, 2 Tangs, had a Rusty Angel, Potters, and now a Coral Beauty, lost the othwer 2 to aa LFS contamination. I only buy from Drs Fand S, 14 daygaurentee. If you need a RO/DI unit go to the The Filter Guys. com great nwoledge and pricing, do not scrip on that, use IMO RC, and do a 20-25% every 2 weeks. Bob
Old 12/11/2007, 08:29 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by rbursek
Brian,
Really nice tank, I was 54 when I started mine have pics but have loaded them yet, I am proud of you, better then vidio games and drugs!! I have a 6 line and a blue star leapord wrasse, no problem. But you can never tell until there in there together, 2 Tangs, had a Rusty Angel, Potters, and now a Coral Beauty, lost the othwer 2 to aa LFS contamination. I only buy from Drs Fand S, 14 daygaurentee. If you need a RO/DI unit go to the The Filter Guys. com great nwoledge and pricing, do not scrip on that, use IMO RC, and do a 20-25% every 2 weeks. Bob
Thanks, yeah I have never really been into vid games. I have been looking for a RO unit I was thinking about this one.http://www.purelyh2o.com/product.php...cat=249&page=1
I do a 5 gal water change every week. If you get pics feel to post.
Old 12/11/2007, 08:30 PM
Moved On

Oh yeah how do you like dr.f and s. Do they have good livestock? Have you ever got corals from them?
Old 12/11/2007, 09:28 PM
Huge Member

get this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Zero-ppm-6st-Rev...QQcmdZViewItem

See, that's the trouble with the world today. Not enough danger to kill off stupid people before they get old enough to breed. Bring back lawn darts! -PrivateJoker64
Old 12/11/2007, 09:28 PM
Moved On

Old 12/11/2007, 09:44 PM
Moved On

Thanks, look at the shipping. Still a awesome price. I will research the seller. And if he is good I might buy it.
Old 12/12/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Nice tank Brian!
My goal for my tank to buy more corals...but my family is soon to be moving...and i really don't want to put stress on any new corals that have the possibility of dying during the set up....
Old 12/14/2007, 11:42 PM
Moved On

Today was a sad day. My coral Beauty died. for no apparent reason. I have not checked the water yet but I am going to tomorrow.
Old 12/15/2007, 02:29 PM
Huge Member

Sorry to hear that bro

Was it eating well? You feed it any sort of algae?

Old 12/15/2007, 02:40 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Sorry to hear that bro

Was it eating well? You feed it any sort of algae?
Yes it was eating. I fed it NOri once a week then I fed a mix of formula 1,brine,mysis once a day. I also fed ti formula 1 and 2 flake and pellet. I fed once a day. Always ate a bunch every thing up. I will post my params tonight.
Old 12/15/2007, 02:55 PM
Registered Member

Its always best to test ASAP when you have a problem because params can jump around quickly enough that you can miss a little spike of one thing or another.

My guess is that is wasn't something that could be tested, though.

Sorry to hear about it
Old 12/17/2007, 12:03 AM
Moved On

I tested My water with API test kit
PH-8.2
amn-0
Trates-0
Trites-0
phos-0
Then I brought it to LFS
ph-8.3
amn-0
trites-0
trates-.02
So every thin tested ok. So the CB must of died because of somthing else. But when I was at the LFS they had some pink skunk clowns so I got two for my BTA. Also the omaha marine society had a christmas party and I won a skimmer. It is a css 125. Since I already had one I decied to try and sell it today.
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1272739
I also have some more stuff for sale.
I will get some pics of the clowns in couple of days once they settle in and decide between the tounge coraland the BTA because right now they are going back and forth.
Old 12/17/2007, 01:51 AM
Huge Member

It might have been that your Coral Beauty was caught with cyanide. Unfortunately, it really decreases the lifespan of fish.

Congrats on the new clowns, though! I know you'll like them alot, especially with an anemone.

Old 12/18/2007, 10:45 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
It might have been that your Coral Beauty was caught with cyanide. Unfortunately, it really decreases the lifespan of fish.
Old 12/18/2007, 11:43 PM
Moved On

I got some pics of the clowns. I also got a new coral (Pagoda Cup Coral) I also took a picture of my BTA.

Old 12/18/2007, 11:47 PM
Moved On

Quote:

Congrats on the new clowns, though! I know you'll like them alot, especially with an anemone.
I have heard of cyanide before but don't really know what it is. Is it something the fish gets from stress. Can other fish in my tank get it? Is it something it got from the LFS, or the wholesale place where the LFS gets their fish from?
Old 12/18/2007, 11:50 PM
Moved On

If you guys look at the clowns close enough you can see the white spots. I am hoping that is just from stress. They are eating. I have been feeding frozen soaked in garlic everyday since I got them. (3 days) SO that should help them fight it off. I would quarantine but I don't have the $ or time or space to set up a quarantine.
Old 12/19/2007, 10:30 PM
Moved On

Any suggestions on some new corals?
Old 12/20/2007, 12:32 AM
Premium Member

Cyanide, is a poison that is sprayed underwater in front of a fish. It's a paralytic. It can damage the central and peripheral nervous system of the fish, and it slows the fishes responses. They are much easier to catch at that point. Unfortunately, this is a most unscrupulous method to catch them, as the fish never really ever recovers and will most likely die a premature death.

I would suggest a quarantine system. I'm kinda shocked that right after a death in the tank, you bought two new fish, and a couple of corals and just plopped them in the display without so much as a few weeks in a Quarantine tank. And now you're concerned about the white spots. Well it's possible they got the white spots from your aquarium, or it's possible they brought it in from the outside, either scenario is unacceptable in my thought pattern.

I hope they get better, and I hope it all goes well for you. I'd get some Garlic treatment for the ich. That's just my .02.

Aaron