Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/13/2006, 03:01 PM
Registered Member

cob webs in my tank

I know this might sound funny but every morning when I get up there seems to be cob webs in tank mostly on and around a candy coral near a corner. I think it might be snail slim but I,m not sure and I dont know why its only around the candy coral when the snails are around eveything in the tank. anyone else have this. Dave E
Old 04/13/2006, 03:20 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Technically, it is snail slime. Most likely you just have Vermetid Snails. They can be irritants to corals sometimes, but are generally reef safe. They secrete a mucous web and send it in the water column to catch particulate food matter than then bring it back in and devour the little morsels.
Old 04/13/2006, 03:24 PM
Registered Member

Hmmm...there are types of worms (cripes the species name escapes me at the moment) that live in live rock that make mucus nets to catch food in. These worms basically reel the mucus out like a fisherman's net, let it get minute food particles on it and reel it back in. Might be what you are seeing.

Can you see whether the 'cobweb' is attached to something?
Old 04/13/2006, 03:34 PM
Turn on Tune In Drop Out

the vermetid snails look liek little tube worms, they are most likely brown, nad youll see the web coming out of them. the yalso hurt when you pick a rock up and put ypur finger on one.

An escalator can never break. It can only become stairs. There would never be an "Escalator Temporarily Out of Order" sign, only "Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the Convenience."
Old 04/13/2006, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

(grins) That's the lil guys I meant!