Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/10/2005, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

When is a new book do out

Hey Anthony,

I fully enjoyed your Book of Coral Prop vol 1 and Reef Invertebrates.

When can we expect your next book? I have been waiting for a while and am having withdrawls

Anyway love the books and love this forums. Keep up the good job.

Robert
Old 08/10/2005, 07:13 PM
Parapterois heterura

Thanks kindly my friend

I do work on my books almost daily (at least weekly). The NMA fish volume 1 is written but not edited yet. That will be out next.

BOCP2 has been 3/4 written for a very long time... and not too many months away from completion.

The real delay is that books are so expensive to produce and make so very little money. I/we've had to take care of other real paying work first

I am eager to release another book. Indeed soon my friend. (sooner if I win the lottery )

Last edited by Anthony Calfo; 08/12/2005 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08/10/2005, 08:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Calfo

The real delay is that books are so expensive to produce and make so very little money. I/we've had to take care of other real paying work first

You mean there is real paying work in this industry? My game plan is to go through 8 years of schooling to make entry level school teacher wages.
Old 08/10/2005, 09:55 PM
Parapterois heterura

heehee... image sales, not book writing

I make (no exaggeration) less than minimum wage per hour on book writing, and I have to front many tens of thousands of dollars to publish them only to wait for that minimum wage money to (hopefully) come back

Book writing is a labor of love in the truest definitions of the phrase

Last edited by Anthony Calfo; 08/12/2005 at 12:44 AM.
Old 08/10/2005, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

I hope you understand how much your labor of love is appreciated Anthony. Many evenings I've sat reading your coral prop book, soaking in great information, and chuckling at the humor you through in throughout the book. The difference you are making in the hobby is hard to even quantify. Keep up the good work. I'm sure you hear it a lot but, Thanks a ton!
Old 08/10/2005, 11:18 PM
Parapterois heterura

thank you my friend... it honestly is inspiring to hear
Old 08/11/2005, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

just jumping on board to second his thoughts.

i really enjoy your book.

you also have just about the calmest internet demeanor i've ever seen.

toonces out.
Old 08/11/2005, 11:30 AM
Parapterois heterura

toonces... thank you for your very kind words too, my friend.

And as for demeanor (brief soapbox here), I can attribute it to a good parent early in life, and frankly... to travel/education afterwards.

The cliches are true... travel broadens the mind... you don't know how good you have it until you see the way other people live... if only students were required to travel overseas for at least some small part of their curriculum... etc.

I have been all over the world, met some of the finest people... and been witness to such abject poverty, that what may have been an already mellow disposition has evolved into something rather more soberly humble, if I may say so.

Its just hard now to get upset at someone being grumpy with me on the Internet, cutting me off in traffic, etc. when knowing all the while that perhaps a majority of human beings on this planet would trade their best day where they live for my worst day here in America, every time.

With that in mind... its hard to get me upset at trivial matters. Well... most of the time, at least. If I'm on my 100th e-mail for the day or if I've forgotten to stop and eat and am hungry, then I get to be a grumpy bear Food and sleep usually bring back sanity though. Heehee...

kind regards to all,

Anth-

Last edited by Anthony Calfo; 08/12/2005 at 12:45 AM.
Old 08/11/2005, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Its just hard now to get upset at someone being grumpy with me on the Internet, cutting me off in traffic, etc. when knowing all the while that perhaps a majority of human beings on this planet would trade their best day where they live for my worst day here in America, every time.

Now that is a thought of the day to ponder...
Old 08/12/2005, 09:23 PM
Registered Member

hey anthony,
having spent the last 10 years in the navy,

...edited...

but, more to the point, i like others, am hungry for more reefing material. i read your book with fenner and loved it, and picked up coral propagation a few weeks ago. the only reason i passed for so long is that i thought it was a book on fragging corals! something on reefcentral directed me to your forum (i think it was skimmers or closed loops) and then, reading your forum made me actually pick up the book and read it...and then i bought it! and this copy was all waterlogged and beat from being in the lfs for who knows long (adds character, right?)

anyway, you and fenner promised a sequel to reef inverts, and all i can say is that if you write it, we'll buy it. that goes for coral prop2 also.

see ya,
toonces
Old 08/13/2005, 01:11 AM
Registered Member

Hi Anthony,
That's the truth. If you write it, we'll buy it.
I have both of your books, BOCP1 & Reef Inverts and although I don't post much, I do read just about everything you write on this and other sites. Thank you for all the amazing info and encouragement
Old 08/13/2005, 03:10 AM
Parapterois heterura

thanks tremendously for the inspiration, my friends
Old 08/13/2005, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 10810
Hi Anthony,
That's the truth. If you write it, we'll buy it.
I have both of your books, BOCP1 & Reef Inverts and although I don't post much, I do read just about everything you write on this and other sites. Thank you for all the amazing info and encouragement
I AGREE,

Anthony, you are one of the most helpful, yet funny writer in this hobby.

As said above, If you write it, I will buy it.

Keep Reefing.
Old 08/13/2005, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

Like so many others I await your next masterpiece.

However if I could make a suggestion. The binding of the Coral Prop book is much better that the binding in the Inverts book, it has now (due to many readings) become a loose leaf collection.

I will buy your next book whatever type of glue is used
Carson
Old 08/13/2005, 05:30 PM
Parapterois heterura

points well taken. We have folks that favor either binding (but usually not both )

danke
Old 08/19/2005, 01:14 PM
Registered Member

Just thought I would add in here that I have both of your books, and I also enjoy them very much! They are the two reef books that I read the most. I am really looking foward to getting the new Reef Fishes book when it is done!

Thanks for all your hard work Anthony!
Old 08/19/2005, 01:19 PM
Parapterois heterura

thank you for saying so my friend

I am releasing a new poster series in weeks. It just went to the printer today Yaaaay!

I'm hoping to have it ready by MACNA

5 pc series (may add "plants and algae" later)... full size 2' X 3' glossy guides with a coupe hundred pics/eye candy (about 40 per): (2) Reef Fishes, Stony Corals, Soft Corals, Reef Invertebrates

And with husbandry advice in my typical no punches pulled narrative style

I hope its received well.

Last edited by Anthony Calfo; 08/25/2005 at 10:51 PM.
Old 08/20/2005, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
thank you for saying so my friend

I am releasing a new poster series in weeks. It just went to the printer today Yaaaay!

I'm hoping to have it ready by MACNA

5 pc series (may add "plants and algae" later)... full size 2' X 3' glossy guides with a coupe hundred pics/eye candy (about 40 per): (2) Reef Fishes, Stony Corals, Soft Corals, Reef Invertebrates

And with husbandry advice in my typical no punched pulled narrative style

I hope its received well.
Sounds great! I hope that to see the ones on reef fishes. I have had a heck of a time trying to plan out what fishes I want to keep in my tank...I hope the posters highlight what is compatable with what.....such as fish to fish, fish to coral, and fish to small inverts. That would be sooooooo helpful in LFS. =)
Old 08/20/2005, 08:01 PM
Eternal Newbie

Another fan of your books here, Anthony!
Do keep up the writing - we're all eagerly awaiting the next publication.
Hope to meet you at MACNA, and maybe get your sig on BOCP.

"Live Long and Propagate."
Old 08/23/2005, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

When (approximately of course) and more importantly Where (readingtrees.com?) will those posters become available? Keep the stuff crankin'. If it's from Calfo, its gotta be good!
Old 08/23/2005, 09:46 AM
troublemaker

Where to get posters?

My basement propagation area is in desperate need of wall graphics
--
Anthony, I've had your books for quite a while, and look forward to your future ones. I've gotten a whole lot out of them, not alone in that I see.

For those who have missed the MACNA/IMAC conferences where Anthony appears ... don't. The propagation demonstration this year at IMAC showed me new corals to cut up, gave me confidence to tackle even more difficult corals. I don't think I'll have a tool without saltwater rust once BOCP2 comes out

I also want to give a big to your substrate thread `somewhere else'... and the many similar ones you've spread across this web. I've had enough with the "I'm right, you're wrong" attitude too ... here I thought I came online to learn

Hopefully the lot of us can make reefing more about shared knowledge and the critters we keep, and less about being right, popular, or trendy.

I thought I got into this hobby to have healthy livestock that I could learn from, observe, and enjoy in my living room as a form of relaxation and mental stimulation. Little did I know I did it to enhance my debating abilities, grow thicker skin, and to try to sort my taste/desires from the popular ones I'm told to like

Thankfully, my time abroad also expanded my horizons, to where I realize that such a small % of the globe gets to dream about having a money-wasting hobby like this one. Most are far more concerned with food, health, water, and basic survival. Lucky, lucky us.
Old 08/23/2005, 03:02 PM
Parapterois heterura

Thanks Mark/all

I do try to 'spread the love around' as best I can and for whatever my opinions are worth on the various message boards, threads, books, articles, posters, etc.

y'all can see image samples of the posters here:
http://www.readingtrees.com/news_and_updates.htm

Any/all constructive criticism will be greatly appreciated! After I get enough US feedback, I'm going to offer them to select overseas publishers (gratis/sans royalty) for print in other languages. I do hope they found attractive and useful!

The posters are unique, I think, in that besides the expected husbandry information... there are also comments on propagation, wild sustainability, home aquarium use versus public aquarium/fisheries use (not all species fit all categories, indeed), etc.
Old 08/23/2005, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Count me in.

I have been waiting for the other books in your series after reading "Reef Invertebrates".

Godspeed with your writing!!
Old 08/23/2005, 08:25 PM
Registered Member

Nice Stuff! Keep up the good work... just make sure you get your hands wet every once in a while!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08/23/2005, 08:31 PM
Parapterois heterura

Don't worry about me... I have no trouble getting my hands wet

I'm now running 3 reefs, one minireef, three large refugia plus a 100 gall saltwater pond.