Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/26/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

I currently have 5 varieties of Plating Montis, 4 varieties of digitatas, and a fairly large orange whirling monti. Some of these are fairly large, but I also have quite a few frags of some of them. Pulling them all out would be a nightmare, and I'm sure I'd end up reducing them to ruble since most are glued to or already encrusted onto large rocks.

As of right now, a digitata and my larger whirling monti are the only two that I've actually observed the on. I first noticed them on the digitata as it is closer to the top and the front of the tank. It was a frag where the "branches" had become fused and formed a somewhat large irregular shaped chunk. Because of this, I attached it to the rocks laying sort of flat, so that hopefully some of the branches would start to grow out on their own and resemble a normal digitata, again.

It lies, in such a way, that the frag is lying almost flat against the rock with only a narrow crevice between it and the rock. Doing so, has apparently allowed them to "hide" and proliferate under the leading edge. Apparently, this is very attractive to the nudis.

None of the other digitata frags were attached in such a way that presented such an ideal location for them to set up "camp". This is why, I believe, that I haven't yet noticed them on my other digitatas. There just isn't as easy a place to hide, since the "branch" on the others is attached at a more perpendicular angle to the rock and not creating such an attractive hideout.

I have been pulling the occasional nudi from this digitata for a month or two, not really knowing what I'm dealing with. A few years ago, I found a much larger predatory nudi on some starpolyps and assumed that any hairy-looking nudi was probably not desireable.

So far, they've been attaking the same small area of this frag, so locating them hasn't been a problem. By the way, does dismembering them create assexual reproduction or do they die if they've been "scraped" to death? Anybody know?

Unfortunately, it seems that complete irradication may not be possible if you can't remove all your montis from your system, however, could the introduction of enough predators keep them in check enough for your corals to survive? I know this isn't ideal, but under the circumstances it is seeming like a better and better option.

I added my six-line wrasse from another tank last night. He is a real scavenger in the other tank and is always looking through every nook and cranny for something "alive" to munch on. Poor guy, he wiped out every bristleworm and copepod from that 42g Hex months ago but still continues his endless seek and destroy mission, hoping beyond hope that he somehow "missed" one. I just hope that he notices the nudis instead of all the copepods and bristleworms in the much larger system. Somehow, I doubt it though, but I'm gonna try it anyhow.

So far, I've "read", that people have tried introducing the following potential "nudi predators" to their systems:
1. Yellow Cori Wrasse
2. Radiant Wrasse
3. Red/Blue leg hermits
4. Six-line Wrasse
5. ?

Did I miss any potential predators?

Also, does anyone know whether or not a yellow cori wrasse will co-exist with a six-line in a 150g?

Is anyone worried about introducing ICH with any additions of predators to their tank? I hope you aren't just dumping these fish into your tanks without qt'ing them for this dreaded beast, because IMO it just as much a pain for your fish as nudis are for montis. I enjoy my fish just as much as the corals. I don't want to lose either one. Unfortuantely, that may not be the case.

In addition, I decide to FW dip(15 sec as recommended in a previous article) the larger whirling monti last night, because I just couldn't seem to be able to remove or access them in all of its little crevices. This morning it was still a pale orange but showing significant slophing of mucous. Only time will tell if it'll pull through. Has anyone else tried this drastic measure? Any success?

Keep up the good fight-Mike
Old 01/26/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

I have a sixline and a yellow coris in a 210 without problems, they were added at the same time
Old 01/26/2007, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

atzak,

Next question, do you have a nudi problem with the presence of both of those fish in your system?
Old 01/26/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1029626
Old 06/19/2007, 06:18 PM
Premium Member

6 months later...

I still battling these little F#$%^&'s.

They have Infested

- 1 Digi
- 3 Capricornis
- 1 Foliosa
- 2 Danae Orange / Purple

They started on my Large Green Capricornis, they didn't come in on that piece it was one of my first Monti's. Now they are on the Digi and my Orange Danae.

I tried:
- Siphoning w/ Baster
- Tweezers
- Tooth Brush
- Plastic scrub brush
- Fresh water RO dip (3 times)
- Lugol's Iodine Dip (2 times)
- 3 Yellow Coris Wrasse (2 died, third has no interest)
- Hosing them in sink (killed my 3 Caps and Purple Danae)
- Quick Cure

I hosed the corals off with cold water using a hose in my slop sink, this basically killed the corals. Within 3 days the other monti's which had showed no signs of them were infested.

Yesterday I took out the Digi and dabbed Quick Cure on it with a Q-tip. Have not returned but it is only a matter of time.

At this point I'm going to let them finish off the Orange Danae as it is encrusting a giant rock and really can't be removed. I'll going to take the Digi back to the LFS and see if they can quarantine it and cure it.

I've noticed that they do love the poorly light areas on the Monti's under the edges and in crevasse. I've also found them crawling over live rock going from one Monti to another.

Coincidentally this all started about 3 weeks after my six line wrasse died. I guess some wrasses have a taste from them but considering some of the places they hid under they corals I don't see how wrasses alone can control it.

Really would like to know if crushing them cause them to reproduce.

Final note, I have 2 digi's in a 30 gallon connected to the same system. So far no contamination.
Old 06/19/2007, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

So I belive I have this on a green cap of mine. It looks like bleaching form the inner most center but are you saying if I look close its accually the nudi'S ??
Old 06/19/2007, 11:15 PM
Premium Member

Yeah you can see them. You should look in shady areas, they like to hide. You will most likey see the little legs, they almost look like extended polyps. hey will be right on edge of the dead spot where the is fleash for them to eat.

Good luck, if you have other Monti's I'd recommend you either remove the comtaminated one or the ones that are not comtaminated. They will eventually crawl over the rock to your other peices, it's as if they are following the scent to more food.

Nick
Old 08/18/2007, 07:29 PM
AEFW Survivor

any updates from those previously affected?
Old 08/19/2007, 09:28 AM
Registered Member

I fragged and discarded almost the whole coral. The frags are doing well and growing almost doubled in size.
Old 11/16/2007, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

I don't have a nudi problem, anymore. I haven't seen one in a long, long time. My 6-line would love it if there where, though.

However, something else seems to be targeting my montis. I have sought information regarding this problem, several times, on this site. No one seems to be able to offer any advice, unfortunately.

Most of my digitatas and plating/whorling varieties have succumbed to something, but I can't seem to put my finger on it. They usually start slowly RTNing and eventually completely die.

All of my other corals continue to live and many, including, an acropora, continue to grow. I also have a pocillapora that seems happy go lucky, as well. Only the montis seem affected.

This has been going on for about 5 or 6 months without any problems for either the fish or any of the other corals. Strange.
Old 11/16/2007, 03:25 PM
TRC Leader

What is your Magnesium level? For me, when it drops my Montipora fade or STN away. I now keep it at 1380 to 1400 at all times and all of the montis are doing great.
Old 11/16/2007, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Wouldn't a low Mg level affect the pocilliporas and acros, as well?

I will check it, though.

Thanks-Mike
Old 11/16/2007, 04:44 PM
Premium Member

Mine disappeared after they killed about seven monti's One survived. I think they just ran out of food and were not able to sustain their growth. Once they were only on one Monti I could focus on blasting them off. They suck.
Old 11/16/2007, 04:44 PM
TRC Leader

Not for me. Montipora seem to be very attuned to magnesium levels, ime.
Old 11/19/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

What is the preffered method to raise a low Mg level?