Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 02:40 PM
Registered Member

Talking 130 Gallon in-wall build (picture intensive)

OK, here we go. After a long time planning, discussing, agonizing, and selling kidneys to raise money (kidding!) I have started my 130 gallon in-wall construction. This thread will be periodically updated over time as I do more of the installation, set-up, etc. Please be patient and gentle!

A few months ago I bought a used tank and stand. The tank was in pretty bad shape - empty for a few months before that filled with water but no fish. As you can see it was bad, bad, bad!

After cleaning it with lots of white vinegar and water and scrapping with a sharp razor it looked better.

Ok, that part was done. Now, where to put it. The tank came with a stand that was sturdy but not real roomy.

After reading and researching here on RC, I knew I needed a sump, skimmer, heaters, reactors, pumps, lights, and, of course, plumbing to tie it all together. I was struggling with how to get it all in and over the stand. So, in order to increase the expense and make a bigger mess, I decided to do it in-wall. Here are pictures of the front and back of the wall the tank is going. The back picture also shows the room where all the equipment is going.

Here is a shot from the doorway showing both rooms:

Here is a rough outline of where the tank will go. The line of string at the top shows where the top hinged molding will go to allow access to the front of the tank. This has changed from a 1 x 6 to a 1 x 10 allowing 9.5 inches of access.

Any comments are appreciated.

Steve
Old 01/08/2008, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

130 Gallon in-wall build II

So we started construction today. Here is the hole cut in the wall - from the main room and the tank room.

And from the doorway.

The plan is to make a stand that will run ~15 feet along the whole wall. This stand will hold the display tank and a 55 gallon sump next to the display tank. The rest of the area will be used for work space. There will eventually be a QT tank and top off container, and other assorted gear.

OK, need to start working on the electrical.

Steve
Old 01/08/2008, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

The tank cleaned up nice compared to what it looked like. Good job.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Looks good so far. Are you going to drill the tank?
one thing if you are going to have access from behind why put a door above the front of the tank? Yes is is a pain in the a$$ but looks better just framed like a painting. JMO
Good Luck.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

talksalt, thanks.

When I picked it up it was outside on a front porch. After my son and I carried it downstairs and it warmed up - oh the stench! Vinegar was like roses in comparison. My wife asked "is it going to smell like that after you get it set up?" Not sure if she is convinced that it will smell like an ocean breeze.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:51 PM
Registered Member

What are your plans in stocking it?
Old 01/08/2008, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

enemec1, I forgot to mention that the whole thing will be framed. The top will be the wider piece, the sides and bottom will be 2 inch pieces. This will come close to matching the doorframes and baseboards.

I'm debating drilling the tank. I do not want to do it myself and the prospect of dragging it up the stairs again (not a straight shot up the stairs) is not pleasant. A shop in the area (sort of) will do it for $20 a hole. Thinking seriously about it.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by talksalt
What are your plans in stocking it?
Soft corals to start with a few fish. Eventually moving to some hard corals.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:33 PM
Registered Member

Snodine, have you joined your local reef club? You may find a member willing to come to your home and help you drill the tank for a price rather than hauling that big tank back out.
Old 01/08/2008, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Hey u really shouldn't just cut beams u probably just want to make two headers and add jacks at the end of the walls Just my 2cents :-) looks cool though and drill that thing makes life so much easier

one of those red house build people :dance:
Old 01/08/2008, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Ritten, that is a good idea. I'll look into that. Thanks.
Old 01/08/2008, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

Re: 130 Gallon in-wall build (picture intensive)

Quote:
Originally posted by snodine
So, in order to increase the expense and make a bigger mess,
Now THAT'S the spirit!
Old 01/08/2008, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Inexpensive, neat projects are for people who know what they are doing - an affliction I do not suffer from.

Last edited by snodine; 01/08/2008 at 04:39 PM.
Old 01/08/2008, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

Got the stand done (more pictures)

Finished putting the stand together. Tomorrow will be putting the plywood on, putting the tank in to check for fit, and finishing the electrical. Painting the stand over the weekend and the trim goes up the beginning of next week. Then turning my attention to painting and putting the TV back on the wall and new wiring for the surround system.

Some pictures of the stand.

Steve
Old 01/08/2008, 05:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beaglelax
Hey u really shouldn't just cut beams u probably just want to make two headers and add jacks at the end of the walls Just my 2cents :-) looks cool though and drill that thing makes life so much easier
Not a load bearing wall. Notice the steel beam and the steel pillar holding it up. The wall was just framed in.

Reminds me - better paint the steel beam because it may get a little humid right over a reef tank.
Old 01/08/2008, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

yea i saw that after re-looking at the pics looks good

one of those red house build people :dance:
Old 01/08/2008, 06:52 PM
Registered Member

That is going to be real nice
Old 01/08/2008, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dfurbee
That is going to be real nice
Thanks

I think so too. Going to be a while before all the pieces come together but it will get there.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

Hi, I'm not sure if it's a necessary but I would put some legs under the front of the stand (against the wall). As it is, it seems that the weight will be supported by the screws that hold the front part of the stand to the wall studs. I always overbuild my stands so lets see what the others think about it

The Shrimp Guy!
Old 01/08/2008, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

Stephane, thanks for the advice. Actually the first ~4 inches of the tank will sit on the wall where the level is sitting in this picture.

This is supported by 4 2 x 4 studs that are behind the drywall. I am also going to install legs ~14 inches from the wall to hold up the back of the tank. I also tend to over-engineer what I build. Lumber is cheap when compared to a tank in pieces on the floor.

Thanks for keeping me honest.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

looks great so far following a long
Old 01/08/2008, 10:00 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by snodine
Inexpensive, neat projects are for people who know what they are doing - an affliction I do not suffer from.
Heck, from the pictures, you're neater than me!

I was gonna mention the stand supports, but looks like it's covered already.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Finished the carpentry on the stand

OK, finished the building of the stand and got the electrical mostley taken care of. Need to get a couple of breakers because the electrical supply place did not have the ones I needed. They will come in on Friday and I will get that taken care of over the weekend.

Here are today's pictures.

Here is the completed stand from the main room, the tank room, and from the side. Notice the additional supports installed today under where the tank will be. This should take care of the support concerns I had and that were expressed by others earlier.

Should have plenty of power as there are 2 double outlets (one of each double being GFCI), and 2 more single outlets for a total of 11 available outlets (one is being used for the alarm system). The 2 doubles are each on their own circuit.

Have to go to work tomorrow so Going to try to get it primed tonight and maybe my son will paint it tomorrow. He can use $50.

Any suggestions, advice, concerns, etc. much appreciated.

Steve
Old 01/09/2008, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

I am really excited to see the progress of this project. It looks awesome! I hope to do something similar in the distant future.
Old 01/09/2008, 06:41 PM
Killer of Giants

Awesome! I wish I had a "fish room". Looks like you've got the beginings of a nice one!