Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 02:29 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Location: On the Elk River/Chesapeake Bay in Elkton/North East, Maryland
Cool Help plan Christmas vacation in the islands.

We are trying to plan a week long vacation during Christmas next year. We are not sure where we want to go (this is where we need your help) but we do want to be in the islands. Preferably in the US like Hawaii or Florida/Keys, however we are not totally limited to the US. We do want to be able to go snorkeling/scuba diving, So definitely somewhere with some good reefs. It would be my Mom, Dad, me 19, brother 14, and younger brother 12.
So, can anyone suggest somewhere with good reefs and specifically a hotel/resort/villa nearby? any input is much appreciated.
Old 12/20/2007, 04:47 PM
Take a number

Oh great! i'm going to follow along with this thread, because i'm doing the same thing next year. only I'm doing it ALONE!

I will not eat oysters. I want my food dead - not wounded or sick - DEAD !
Old 12/20/2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

As I got certified SCUBA in Hawaii, I can definately say...

Go to Australia or New Zealand if underwater is what you want to do
Old 12/20/2007, 04:58 PM
Guardian of Little People

I would agree with that. The Caribbean would be another option. Hawaii is wonderful, but if your main focus is snorkling and scuba for reefs, it wouldn't be my first choice.

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 12/20/2007, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

i'd say come here, but i'd rather see people start boycotting Bermuda.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 12/20/2007, 05:00 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah, we were thinking about australia but want to try to stay a little closer.
But, the Great Barrier Reef is definitely a place to visit, and we are going to do it, just not this trip. I think my parents want to wait a few years till my brothers get a bit older. That would be the mega trip, and they want them to really remember it.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:28 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

I think were seriously looking at key west.
Old 12/20/2007, 06:45 PM
30 year and over club

If you have teenage brothers I think the best place would be "Beaches" on Turks and Caicos. I have been to Australia, Hawaii, Tahiti and most of the Caribbean and although Turks and Caicos was not my favorite place I remember saying that if I were a teenager, that would be the place. They cater to teenagers and the snorkling and diving is great. It is an all inclusive so you don't pay for anything after the initial price. I have been to about five all inclusives and Beaches is pretty good. There are about 5 or 6 really good restaurants on the property and maybe 20 pools, the place is huge. You can hardly walk to the other end of the place.
If you go to the Caribbean and you don't go to an all inclusive, you may be bored. Most hotels don't offer much included and you may have to travel to find a snorkling beach and good restaurants are far and few in between in the Caribbean.
Paul
Old 12/20/2007, 06:57 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks, that really helped. Anyone else with personal experiences?
Old 12/20/2007, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

Hey buddy, My grandmother lives on the Cayman Islands and you should deff look into it. Its the most beautiful diving Ive ever seen and the price isnt that bad. I would stay at the large resort on old man bay because its close to a few ship wrecks and tourtuga
Old 12/20/2007, 07:18 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Sweet bud, we will look at that too.
Old 12/20/2007, 08:04 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

For diving, Cozumel or Little Cayman Island. It's a quick flight without jet lag issues.
Old 12/20/2007, 11:14 PM
That's Mind Bottling !

Well if $$$ is no object; then Bonnaire CAN'T BE BEAT !!! I haven't been but the divers that I know that have been there say no where else compares to it !!!

I'm going to go to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic for a week in April so we'll let ya know how that goes !!!

I look at her with my head tilted to the side and in a soft voice I just say; You're so pretty !
Old 12/21/2007, 11:44 PM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Paul B
my mom really likes the Beaches resort in Turks and Caicos. They have been to Turks and Caicos before and loved it, but they were not at the resort.
Old 12/22/2007, 07:21 AM
30 year and over club

MHannon, as I said Beaches is not the best place I have ever been to but for teenagers it is great. I have been to all of the places mentioned and it is true what they are saying. The Caimans and Bonaire has better diving. Key West is also good as is Hawaii and Australia. But for the money I believe an all inclusive resort is the best all around vacation for the age group you mentioned.
Good luck where ever you go.
Paul
Old 12/22/2007, 10:05 AM
Class Of 07!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all of your input everyone.
Old 12/22/2007, 10:18 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by UH_OH_5_OH
Well if $$$ is no object; then Bonnaire CAN'T BE BEAT !!! I haven't been but the divers that I know that have been there say no where else compares to it !!!

I'm going to go to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic for a week in April so we'll let ya know how that goes !!!
We've been there 3 times. Stayed at Barcelo Bavaro Beach every time.

Make sure you lather your head in sunscreen.

Oh shut up, and kiss my fairy wrasse. ~Gawain1974~

silly girls make stuff hard ~drauka99~
Old 12/22/2007, 05:15 PM
Reefer

A tropical Christmas. I can't imagine much worse than that.
Old 12/22/2007, 06:37 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MHannon
yeah, we were thinking about australia but want to try to stay a little closer.
But, the Great Barrier Reef is definitely a place to visit, and we are going to do it, just not this trip. I think my parents want to wait a few years till my brothers get a bit older. That would be the mega trip, and they want them to really remember it.
Although Australia would probably be your ideal vacation for snorkeling and/or SCUBA, you definitely want to spend more than a week there. I spent 2 weeks in Cairns about 4 years ago and I can't wait to go back again. I can't imagine how rushed I would have felt if I had only 4 days to enjoy the scenery (you lose 2-3 days just in travel time alone).
Old 12/22/2007, 07:01 PM
High on Reefing!

You should come to my neck of the woods... Cayman Islands.

You could even do a couple weeks on Grand Cayman and spend a week in Little Cayman... diving is phenomenal!!!!