Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/04/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

Which Nano would you choose?

I am wanting to add a Nano in addition to my 55 gal.

I am going to set it up in my office.

If you could start again from scratch, what Nano would you choose? I am looking for suggestions and pros/cons of different options.

I am currently in the shopping mode. Price is a part of the equation, but quality, functionality, and ease of use are all going to be taken into account.

It looks like alot of you are modding your nanos? Maybe I need to take into account quantity and difficulty of modding for optimum performance?

Thanks.
Old 12/04/2007, 07:42 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
Quote:
If you could start again from scratch, what Nano would you choose?
20g Long...oh wait, i already have one of those.

just a tip, not just for you but for everybody on this board...nano != all-in-one.
Old 12/04/2007, 07:54 PM
Registered Member

Hi, I bought a 12 Gal. Nanocube DX on 11\10 and on 11\22 I got a 12 Gal. Current AquaPod With the 70W HQI. The Nanocube DX is a nice tank but i like the AquaPod more. If u are looking to add a Good HOB skimmer to your tank it hard to do it with Nanocube hood and the light is only 48W. The quality of the NanoCube DX is not as good as the AquaPod. For performance go with the AquaPod with the 70 W HQI. I got my one at Drs. Foster & Smith's but they don't seem to have any more. Take at look at my thread.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1261815
Old 12/04/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

I love my 20L as well, not an all in one like phenom5 was saying but I love the dimensions of it.
Old 12/04/2007, 08:27 PM
CT Area Reef Society

i'm really digge'n the Finnex 30g M-tank.

pros--- Glass with NO bow, black silicone for a slick look, nice fuge area with light.

cons--- dont like the stock T5 light, i would rather buy a retro fit kit or a nice 5 bulb fixture, like the TX5. the skimmer looks cheap too, i'm going for the Deltec MCE 600.
Old 12/05/2007, 12:51 AM
Registered Member

i went with the jbj.... price was everything considering they all do about the same thing. i've read some poor things on each nano, and some positives on each one.
Old 12/05/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Where can I check out the Finnex line?
Old 12/05/2007, 10:40 AM
------------

I would buy a nice looking tank (a non-all in one) and add the components in myself.
Old 12/05/2007, 10:42 AM
------------

Quote:
Originally posted by NWBRADSHAW
Where can I check out the Finnex line?

http://www.finnex.net/newlayout/php/client/home.php

these look alright too...
http://www.cadlights.com/

or one of these...

http://www.adana.co.jp/index_e.php
Old 12/05/2007, 10:43 AM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
Quote:
I would buy a nice looking tank (a non-all in one) and add the components in myself.
agreed.
Old 12/05/2007, 05:52 PM
Retired Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosseau
/\
/ \
||
||
||

Do that.

Old 12/06/2007, 02:30 AM
Registered Member

If you want something simple, I would go with an all in one. If I were choosing one I would either go with the aquapod with the MH light if they still have it. Otherwise, I'd vote biocube. I have the 14 and after owning a nanocube, I like the biocube much better. It seems like it was constructed better and their customer service is very good.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:21 AM
Registered Member

I have a 14 gal biocube on my desk here at work. I like it just because it is an all in one and does not take up that much room.

Amy
Old 12/06/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

I just bought this tank from the for sale section here on RC.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1253778
Old 12/06/2007, 01:26 PM
Premium Member

Current Solana

I recently saw a Current Solana set up at my LFS and I must say I was impressed...very modern design as it is basically a 34gal glass cube with no framework on it. Check it out here . You get a couple lighting options and furniture grade cabinet. If you go MH the external ballast has a place on the rear of the stand to mount.
Old 12/06/2007, 02:25 PM
Registered Member

I have the solana from current-usa i was going between it and the red sea max. I went with solana because im not stuck with a hood and my lighting options are endless. It is a awesome tank. It comes with some nice equipment the skimmer is a little noisy but i was planing on changing it anyway. Overall i think its the best tank for the buck. JMO
If you cant find it locally i know phisybusiness.com has a great deal on them there a sponser here and that were i got mine.

TX
Old 12/06/2007, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

I went with the AP24 with Sunpod 150HQI. My cost for this AIO was 365 shipped. The light alone is around $250 without shipping. That makes the tank $115.

The fact that the tank offers clear, distortion free viewing from every angle other than the side against the wall, it's a very nice tank design.

I don't like the standard tanks for a display tank. The rectangle tanks limit aquascaping and the hex tanks visually distort the heck out of things. Bowfronts are very nice, but they have the same problem as rectangle tanks in terms of limiting aquascaping due to lack of depth.

This is all my opinion, but I really don't think I could find a tank I like as much locally as I do the AP tank.

The cube shape with seamless corners had a lot going for it in terms of eye appeal and aquascaping.