Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/01/2007, 07:35 AM
RC Staff

This thread was automatically split due to performance issues. You can find the rest of the thread here: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5#post11291475
Old 12/01/2007, 07:35 AM
On "The List"

maybe the slow passing was the building dept in heaven was taking their sweet time issuing a permit for gary's first project up there

HEY! I lost it first ~CRP

There is no "Brain" in "Brian." ~Beerguy
Old 12/01/2007, 07:54 AM
Simply Complicated

Nina I'm glad you were able to be with him as he took his first step into heaven. I'm sorry that he is gone in more ways than I can say. Now that his journey has begun I believe he'll be watching your journey as well. I know right now he's watching all of us in tears and shaking his head. He is a man I'll never forget. Somehow I'm sure he'll read this thread and smile at the fact that you were stronger than he thought.
My heart goes out to you and your family. Love to all of you.
Old 12/01/2007, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

Nina, I am so sorry.

Nancy
Old 12/01/2007, 08:03 AM
Premium Member

You and Gary have touched my heart deeper than I thought was possible. My deepest sympathies to you and yours Nina. May Gary rest in peace.
Old 12/01/2007, 08:10 AM
Registered Member

Of course he found the perfect solution to the problem of when to leave. I think it's amazing that even down to his last breath on earth he was true to Gary. He wanted you by his side for this last adventure, but he didn't want you to suffer. What a perfect compromise. I don't think anyone could ask for a more peaceful final moment on earth than snuggled up next to the love of their life. May the coming days bring you some sort of peace Nina. And in the next few days if things get a little "too" quiet, you know the loungers are all here for you!

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semihuman. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog. - Edward Hoagland
Old 12/01/2007, 08:27 AM
Premium Member

Nina, We are so sorry.

Scott,Lisa,Emily,and Logan
Old 12/01/2007, 08:52 AM
Registered Member

there are just no words that are adequate..."thank you" seems not enough but that's all i have right now. thank you all from the bottom of my heart, for your love and prayers.

i slept with gary's pillow last night. i woke off and on all night and each time, i smelled the sweetness that was him. i think i am numb at this point, glad he is with God but so sad that he is, physically, no longer with me. i have to be content that he is in a much better place and i know he is watching over me as he promised me he would do. i'm sure i will have signs of this very soon, when gary gets settled in heaven and can find time to visit me.

so much to do today. we are in the midst of what is shaping up to be a pretty nasty ice storm but i must go select flowers and meet with the funeral director this afternoon.

i will put a link up later to the funeral home and i would love it if you all would like to leave a message there. i want gary's family to know how much love and support i have had from my lounge family!

love & hugs to you all! charlene
Old 12/01/2007, 09:06 AM
Moved In

I'm glad you got to be with him. Gary's at peace now, I know he will live on in your memories.

If you need to talk, I'm always with my cell.

Powertripping~is that a song or a dance?

RC Lounge~Humor Questionable ~Enter At Own Risk!
Old 12/01/2007, 09:13 AM
Eternally Discombobulated

Godspeed Gary. You are loved and you will be dearly missed. If you happen to come across a witty irishman up there playin' poker with a bunch of italians, tell 'em the love of your life was friends with some crazy guy out in the cornfields of Ohio. They're always willing to add another to the game and they'll pull up a chair for ya and deal you in.

Just don't get too rowdy...there's a scrappy little italian woman up there too keepin' that witty irishman in line.

Nina, all of our prayers are with you and your family. I'm glad to hear his passing was peaceful and that you could be with him in that special way. Our hearts and ears are ready to listen, our shoulders strong should you need them, just give that ol' number a ring and we'll be here.

And though I'm pretty sure he wasn't scottish Nina, I think this is fitting:

"My Heart is in the Highlands"
by: Robert Burns

My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here,
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer -
A-chasing the wild deer, and following the roe;
My heart's in the Highlands, wherever I go.

Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North
The birth place of Valour, the country of Worth;
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.

Farewell to the mountains high cover'd with snow;
Farewell to the straths and green valleys below;
Farewell to the forrests and wild-hanging woods;
Farwell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods.

My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here,
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer
Chasing the wild deer, and following the roe;
My heart's in the Highlands, whereever I go.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 12/01/2007, 09:17 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

I'm glad I've gotten to know you, Nina, in the last several months and I am just as glad that I got to know a little about Gary through you as well. He's building a tribute to you in heaven now.
Old 12/01/2007, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

Sorry for your loss Nina. AT least now there is definately no more suffering. He went out as most others only wish they could.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 12/01/2007, 09:22 AM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

Though I have expected this news for several days, it still comes as a shock. One of the nurses walked into my office as I was dabbing at my eyes with a handkerchief. She asked what was wrong, and I told her that a good friend had died.

I never met Gary, but I feel like I knew him, and now like everyone else, I'm feeling a loss and great sadness for you and your loved ones. I'm grateful that you had time to be with him and that his passing was peaceful.

You all remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Last edited by joeychitwood; 12/01/2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12/01/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

As I sit here with tears running down my face, trying to think of something profound to say, all I want to do is give you a big hug and thank you for showing us your strength and love and spirit through all this. You have been an inspiriation to so many of us through your words and your actions. You and Gary have taught us how to live and die with dignity, and I will be forever touched by you both.

May god bless you and Nana and your families.
Old 12/01/2007, 09:35 AM
Movin On Up

Nina, I am so sorry. Try to spend some time with Nana today. The next few days may be fairly busy. I'm glad you were able to be there with him as he as he passed. I'm sure he felt the same way.

My prayers and thoughts are with you all.

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 12/01/2007, 10:15 AM
10 & Over Club

God's peace for both of you.
brian
Old 12/01/2007, 10:24 AM
10 & Over Club

I'm sorry to hear the news, but at the same time feel there is consolation that Gary's suffering is over. My Grandfather lingered in a state of suffering (and loss of mental capacity) for almost 2 years before he passed, very sad to watch. My Mother is sadly following in her fathers footsteps on that subject.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 12/01/2007, 10:25 AM
Guardian of Little People

Nina, I know a person may think they are "ready", but when the moment actually arrives the devastation and tremendous sense of loss that accompany it seem more than you can bear. I know the same strength that carried you through Gary's diagnosis and illness will support you through the next days and weeks, because that strength is fueled by the deep love you and Gary shared.

Thank you for sharing Gary with us over the past few years. We are richer from knowing him.

Brian

Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant
Old 12/01/2007, 10:37 AM
Premium Member

Nina, I am very sorry for your loss.
Old 12/01/2007, 10:53 AM
Registered Member

Nina I am so sorry for your loss. Take comfort in the fact that Gary is no longer in pain and is watching over you. Your love has been an inspiration to so many. Your strength and warmness has truly touched my heart.
Old 12/01/2007, 10:59 AM
Registered Member

Nina,

I am so very sorry.
Old 12/01/2007, 11:37 AM
Premium Member

Nina,

I am so very sorry for your loss.

We are here for you when you need us-even if we don't post a reply-we are reading and praying for your whole family.

Love and Hugs,
Stacy
Old 12/01/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

It's amazing how many people who never met Gary have cried over this thread, you made us all feel like we knew him and I am so sorry for your loss. He was a gentleman to the end.
Old 12/01/2007, 11:41 AM
Be Afraid, Be Very Afraid

Hi Nina

I am glad you were able to be with Gary. I don't see how you could have planned a better way for him to move into the next chapter.

God Bless you both

Steve
Old 12/01/2007, 11:50 AM
I Like Toast...

I have no words. My emotions are very mixed. I am so sorry for your loss, but at the same time so happy that Gary is finally at peace. Thank you both so much for sharing your life and love with us total strangers.

Peace be with you both.

"Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to KEEP fish and his family will soon be eating Ramen Noodles..."