Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2007, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

Foxface eating polyp?

Has anyone seen their Foxface eating their zoos. I can't figure out who is munching on mine?
Old 11/13/2007, 04:55 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

it happens, though it's not common, and other rabbitfish are more likely to nibble
Old 11/13/2007, 05:29 PM
Reefer Maniac

... send him to me! I have some he can readily feast upon, ...
Old 11/13/2007, 07:52 PM
Registered Member

I have a foxface in my tank with tons of zoos and he never bothers my zoos occasionally he will irritate my SPS but just for a minute then moves on...

Dream
Old 11/13/2007, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

Thanks. I made the decision to take all my zoos out of my 120g reef, treat for flatworms and nudis, and place in my QT so they could recover. About 5 nudis floated to the top of the treatment container. Parasites or hitchhikers (see my gallery pic)? I will now get to see if it is the nudis/flatworms eating them or a fish.
Old 11/14/2007, 09:23 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

I 've had 2 different rabbit fish, a foxface lo and now a scribbled.. no problems.

" Charles V "
Old 11/14/2007, 10:00 AM
Registered Member

I'm just happy my foxface started going after my bryopsis. If he takes a polyp or two in the process so be it....
Old 11/14/2007, 10:04 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

When I first put mine in his new tank a couple of weeks ago he would mouth everything not knowing if it was edible or not and even took a few yellow sun polyps into his mouth, very gently, but let go right away after he realized it wasn't food.

Old 11/14/2007, 10:38 PM
Premium Member

THanks, guys. I'll let you know if my QT "experiment" was successful. My Foxface, who is beutiful thogh a bit skittish, is safe!
Old 11/15/2007, 11:35 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

Here's my scribbled. Its still juvenile.

" Charles V "
Old 11/15/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

funny you should ask--i was just watching my lo nibble on my sole orange polyp...i ran over after i saw your thread title, and it looks fine...like somebody else said, i guess he left it after he realized it wasnt food (and probably tasted bad!).
Old 11/15/2007, 06:50 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

probly trying to nibble on algae growing either on the zoa or around it.

" Charles V "
Old 11/17/2007, 09:51 AM
Premium Member

I had a scribbled for a month or so. For the first few weeks, it mowed down all of the razor caulerpa I put it in there for-model citizen. After that, it turned on zoas (can't remember exactly, but somewhere around 6-8 colonies in two days), then a neon green pocillopora (watched it munch away at it), then my acans (lords, but didn't touch echinata's). It didn't touch Palythoa sp., though (button polyps were fine, go figure...). I had other tanks to pull one genus of coral from at a time as the scribbled decided to try something new. It didn't do sample bites, though. Once it set it eyes, it ate whatever it was completely unless I got to it first. Luckily, they sleep floating around the tank, so getting it out was the easiest fish catching I've done.
Old 11/17/2007, 10:31 AM
Ich Rumor/Myth Buster

The one I have posted above was the easiest to catch of mine as well. It was asleep on the bottom of the tank against the wall so all I had to do was VERY slowly lower the net down next to it and pull it up.
Old 11/17/2007, 11:12 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

They do that only when they don't get enough algae to graze on and like any other animal it will look for other food sources.

" Charles V "
Old 11/17/2007, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

I couldn't keep up with it in terms of algae. I feed a sheet of Nori daily, but it wasn't enough. This guy was still only about half grown, too. I've thought about getting another one for my sps tank, but am concerned about keeping a food source long term. Those things get big with an appetite to match...
Old 11/17/2007, 09:36 PM
Semi Reefing Vet

LOL. I feed mine , sinking pellets, cyclopeeze granuals too. besides the algae that he eats from the tank.

" Charles V "
Old 11/17/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

My foxface loved montiporas. Too much
Old 11/18/2007, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ssavader
Thanks. I made the decision to take all my zoos out of my 120g reef, treat for flatworms and nudis, and place in my QT so they could recover. About 5 nudis floated to the top of the treatment container. Parasites or hitchhikers (see my gallery pic)? I will now get to see if it is the nudis/flatworms eating them or a fish.

It look like some type of aeolid nudi. From my understanding all of them are predetory in some way, shape, or form.
Old 11/20/2007, 10:15 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for all your suggestions guys. I took out all the polyps, dipped in Marin Pro Cure and placed in my 25g nano- about 7 nudi dropped off in the dip and then all but1 reopened in the nano. Now that the nudis are gone, back in the 120g reef to see if it is the foxface! thanks for your help.
Old 11/21/2007, 10:14 AM
Semi Reefing Vet

You might want to keep it there for a couple weeks. Cause if there were eggs on any of the zoos or rock it was on... the dip would have not killed it. Dipping them 1 time a week for a couple weeks will ensure that you knock off any new nudis that have hatched after your first dip.

" Charles V "