Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 09/29/2007, 04:59 PM
Registered Member

Well I found some mineral water in my garage all dusty and didnt want to drink it or throw it out so I thought its just normal water and Used it next thing something I knew my tank got nuked.
Old 09/29/2007, 05:04 PM
Registered Member

just right now i drop a large brittle star on a 18" carpet anemones when a pick up a live rock while re arranging my corals,
bought a 120 g none drilled tank that flooded my new hardwood floor( my first tank )
bleached all my live rock and give 100+ pound of liverock away because it have algae and coraline.
and the most stupid thing that i did starting a sps tank
very very expensive
Old 09/29/2007, 11:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sabbath

NO my large polyped stony's won't talk to me ethier. I'm out if they do.
Maybe they're mad at you. Have you tried target feeding?
HIS OPINIONS COURAGEOUSLY AND HONESTLY
Old 09/30/2007, 12:53 AM
Registered Member

Well I did something kinda stupid recently,

I have a magnum that i run carbon in and it sucks water from the main tank and blows it into the sump. I was doing a water change and shut off all of the pumps and the magnum . I completed the siphoning of the 4 gallon water change and noticed the water in the main tank steadily going down, Im thinking where is all of this water going? well even though I shut off the magnum I forgot it was basically a siphon now and was siphoning all of the water into the sump and all over the carpet...DUH!!!, learned real quick to close the valves on that thing.
Old 09/30/2007, 06:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
My LPS have never spoken. What did yours say?
Some boys and girls from both chain LFS were liking to exam the level of my preparedness (appreciate this, when it was before selling mandarins, 3rd degree interrogation, but would prefer if they sold me a couple, instead of two fighting males) and teach (each time the same, how to wean a lion, as if I don't know), but weasel away from the question "Can you show me, how THIS lionfish eats the dead prey", before buying it. Was almost painful to see.

OOT, sorry.
Old 09/30/2007, 08:04 AM
Registered Member

Wink

stupidist thing to date was balancing on the arm of my settee (couch) so i could reach the clean water pump in my aqua-medic percula 120, these tanks require the arms of an urangutan to maintain the pumps, however the settee shifted just as was about to retrieve the pump ,and to stop myself falling into the tank i instinctively grabbed the metal halide pendant the steel suspension wires gve way and the M/H pendant ended up in the tank fizzing and buzzing, i cut off power supply quick as i could and luckily never had any livestock suffer, lights were ruined.

My wife still says i wrecked lights on purpose so i could upgrade to arcadia series 4 pendant. Another stupid thing i done was to move my 6 inch maxima clam off the sand bed due to blue cheek goby constantly dropping sand onto mantle not thinking i placed it on rocks directly above pump oulet , a few weeks later i forgot to check flow into sump the which ran dry resulting in the pump blowing out millions of air bubbles straight onto the clams mantle, unfortunately clam died and i keep the shell to remind me how stupid i was. unfortunately reef keeping mistakes often not only result in some loss of livestock but are more than often very expensive ones.
Old 09/30/2007, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

Dosing too much kalk while wasted and thus killing my 9 yr old Grouper.

I am sorry Otto!
Old 09/30/2007, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

Was given a 55 gal long. Wife says, Let's do saltwater, Nuff Said! Later on I decide to drill an overflow in back side of tank. Thought a sticker on the bottom said the BOTTOM ONLY was tempered. Did not want to disturb the sand/crushed coral bed that had been in for a year. Built a new stand, big enough for a 90 (remember this). Got all my parts, everything setup, empty the tank except for a couple inches of water and the substrate. Start drilling, so far so, BOOM! Glass shattered! My wife is sitting there laughing her #@&! off at me.
I'm in shock. I'm numb! She says mockingly what are you going to do now? Give up? Never say that to me! Called my credit union, yes I have enough for a new 90 AGA. With an overflow! And got rid of that crushed coral that the first LFS said I needed and sold me.
Old 09/30/2007, 09:30 AM
Registered Member

After 30+ years in the hobby and working in the business on occasion I am just glad to be alive...but..my last biggie wiped out most of my softies...I have a 90 with a few shrooms, some zoo, a Kenya Tree, Fiji Yellow Toadstool, and a huge Umbrella. I was born with an extra overactive dose of tinker'itus and no patience. This is equal to disaster alot. So I'm tossing designs around in my head for a new skimmer and sump. After weeks of deliberation I decide to check out the skimmer design to see if its going to work and start filling the sump and the skimmer with fresh water from my resevoir with all intentions of adding salt. Well..needless to say I never added salt and dosed my 90 with about 25 gallons of fresh water. Never hit me till later in the week I noticed my very expensive Tonga Bullseye shrooms turning into jelly that there may be an issue. So out come the test kits and the first test SG..reading..1.011..Oh jeebus..not good..did the rest of the tests and and everything was fair but not great..that was 3 months ago and alot of money ago. Everything that lived..which was not much..is now doing great. But that was a very big one in my fish keeping career. Patience grasshopper (smack) PATIENCE !!
Old 09/30/2007, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

Replacing my laundry room.

Throwing my washer and dryer into a bathroom closet space and turning my old laundry room into fish room to hold the back of my 800 gallon display tank.

wait no I dont regret that haha
Old 09/30/2007, 11:47 AM

- about 3 years ago, I bought a 12G JBJ Nanocube from my LFS.. somehow I decided I need to drill this thing. So I went to Sears and bought a diamond-tipped bit and started drilling. I used my entire weekend drilling that thing with a rotozip so finally when the circle was almost complete, I gently "tapped" the circle glass for it to fall off BUT instead a long crack went coast-to-coast from the drilled hole to the sides and finally back to the holes!!! The whole cube was literally cut in half!!!!! I had to throw it away.

Lesson learned: "leave the glass cutting to the experts."

- when I moved to a 75, I was rearranging my rockwork and totally oblivious that I was venturing into my little feisty Maroon clown's territory. That bugger came out of the LR screaming and bit my hand and literally pulled a skin. I screamed like a little girl while holding a huge table acro on a stepstool. I hit the MH above my head with the table acro and it shattered in half, dropped the whole rock to a monti cap IN the display, smashing it into 6 pieces, and I fell on the floor, butt-first. The maroon clown even had the temerity to stare down at me while I was on the floor...

Lesson learned: "Don't mess around with GSM's!!!!"

I've done so many stupid things and these are the ones that stands out. I will post more after I think of them (it's too early and it's Sunday! lol)

Last edited by xtm; 09/30/2007 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09/30/2007, 12:43 PM
The Iron Knight

supidest thing ive done

umm

reached into a LR vat and grabbed one huge bristle worm when not looking (easily a foot long) and had a little emerald crab at me as i was pulling my hand up out of the vat

"Never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience." - Debi
Old 09/30/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

I did a 50% water change and tested the water by simply dipping my hand in the tank and the bucket and deciding it was good enough. Never, never again!
Old 09/30/2007, 01:17 PM
Team RC Member

Easily the stupidest thing I did was to ignore the advice given here and from my more knowledgable friends and add a Sand Sifting Star to my 100G reef. Withing a few months the sandbed did look pretty and clean but it also did not contain a single living thing anymore! No pods, no spaghettti worms, no small snails, no mini brittle stars, nothing.
Its now been 2 years and its back to about where it was before the star was added. Needless to say the star disappeared.
Old 09/30/2007, 01:30 PM
Registered Member

I was having a serious issue with STN. My corals were dying from the bottom up. Mt fish were swimming like crazy, back and forth. The clowns were all hovering at the top of the tank. Things were looking really bad. I tested everything, I even took water to the LFS and had the owner test it. Everything was great. My salinity was good. No electricity running in the tank, nothing was wrong. The temp on my aqua-c jr said 76.8-77 degrees F. The heater was on, so I knew that was working. I did water changes ect...

Something was wrong but what could it be...

I finally found it, after loosing more than couple hundred $$$ of corals and having several fish jump the tank.

I had the temp probe out of the sump (from the Aqua-c jr), so it was reading the room air temp, instead of the water temp. This caused the heater to run and run. The water was really 88 degrees. I am sure it was even higher on the days the house was really cool, cause then the heater never would have turned off. I even mentioned to my husband that the electric bill was really high that month. I guess 500 watt heater running nonstop would do that.

Lessoned learned, run a seperate thermometer in tank.
Old 09/30/2007, 01:36 PM
Premium Member

Attached hose to pump with out the clamp, found the clamp when cleaning up and consciously decided i didn't need to put it on. (major flood)

Propagating zoos with hammer and chisel, thinking that I was pointing the chisel at my hand, move my hand out of the way then proceed to jam the chisel in my finger anyway. (nice size cut)

Splitting zoos safely with goggles and gloves then while putting the zoos back in the tank, remove the goggles and get squirted in the face by the zoos. (swolen eye for 3 days)

Installed small light over refugium, saw the set screws on the legs and didn't think what they were for. Decided to move the light slightly to the left and legs colapsed dumping light into tank. Nothing bad happened so put it back on and colapsed AGAIN shorting it out. God bless GFCI. (New bulbs only).
Old 09/30/2007, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

Forgetting to turn off the pumps while putting a new frag in the tank with a huge glob of superglue on it. My clown thought it was food and glued his mouth shut.

(This one is my Wifes) Trying to catch a Tang falling out of the net. Six cuts later she remembered they can cut her.

Getting into this hobby thinking that it would only cost me $1500 to set up and stock a reef. $5000 later (and not done yet), I'm wondering what happened to my kids college fund :-)
Old 09/30/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

Never had a problem in the least. I will however remember to not do what all of you have done.(not said with sarcasm).
Old 09/30/2007, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

one of the stupidist things ive ever did is add green star polyps to my tank, those thing grow like weeds!!!!!
Old 09/30/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltydude
Never had a problem in the least. I will however remember to not do what all of you have done.(not said with sarcasm).
That's kinda why I thought to start the thread. To help
Old 10/03/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Anyone else want to share?
Old 10/03/2007, 04:01 PM
Moved On

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1207065
Old 10/03/2007, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Buying a 250W AquaConnect 14k setup when I could have bought a 175W Iwasaki 15K setup and had more PAR with a lower electric bill !
Old 10/03/2007, 06:07 PM
Registered Member

When I set up my first tank in March 07, some LR came with some tiny anenomes attached to it. I shut off flow and hand fed them every other day for months. They grew to an enormous size....big enough to swallow a small fish. Discovered RC.....learned about aiptasia.

I don't hand feed aiptasia anymore.

Thank-you.
Old 10/03/2007, 07:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by amike5
Forgetting to turn off the pumps while putting a new frag in the tank with a huge glob of superglue on it. My clown thought it was food and glued his mouth shut.

Hey, I just glued my sailfin tangs mouth shut. It was so sad watching swim around trying so hard to breath. I tried grabbing the glob of glue off its mouth. It took forever for that glue to come off... I was sure it would die.

I will never dip a frag with super glue in the tank again.