Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/23/2007, 07:10 PM
Registered Member

man i want a anenome but cant find one that i like... ( looking for a carpet... dont think i want him climbing up the rock stinging things ) man you have nice RBTAS... 1 q?.... was it weird/ hard working in that tank??? i mean the opening is soo small and towards the back... was it hard to get the look you want in the front of the tank?? not to hard right?? cuzz it's only so big... what do you think it would be like if it was a bigger tank??? and gezz i wish i knew somone local that grew phyto...

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

thx to Randy and so many other for making reefing that much easier
Old 07/23/2007, 07:29 PM
TRC Leader

Where are you located in Texas?

What I'll do is next time someone comes over, I'll have them take pictures while I reach into the tank. I think that will help provide the answers about access & reach.
Old 07/23/2007, 07:34 PM
Slowly Stocking

The clowns look great in that anemone, Melev. Congrats on the hosting!

Check the red house.
Old 07/23/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

what bulb are you using?

i just picked up a JBJ Viper K2 for my 20 gallon and am not that impressed with the 14k bulb that came with it. it is not very intense. but other than that it is great.
Old 07/23/2007, 08:02 PM
SWFMAS President

Great looking tank mark!

QUOTE by deschlayer:
I don't want real life lighting...I want better! Nature/god never grew a 400 pound pumpkin, man did.
Old 07/23/2007, 08:05 PM
SPS Kibitzer

Awesome Job! it's stuff like this that keeps the hobby so interesting for me
Old 07/23/2007, 08:41 PM
Registered Member

almost NW Houston... im like 5 minutes out from Houston county... Hempstead / Waller area

YzGyz

2nd best way is to learn from ones own mistakes but the best way to learn is from others...

Old 07/23/2007, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

...just a magical photo!

Thank you!
Old 07/23/2007, 09:11 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by ThaNgBOm321
almost NW Houston... im like 5 minutes out from Houston county... Hempstead / Waller area

YzGyz
There is a huge club in Houston. Try www.marshreef.com to find someone in your area that has some phytoplankton available.
Old 07/23/2007, 09:48 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by b0bby1
what bulb are you using?

i just picked up a JBJ Viper K2 for my 20 gallon and am not that impressed with the 14k bulb that came with it. it is not very intense. but other than that it is great.
I don't know what kind of bulb it is as I bought the pendant used a long time ago. It might be 10,000K or it might be 12,000K

Sorry.
Old 07/23/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

im actually already on there... im about 15 minutes away from 'Fishcraze's' place... awsome tank he have...

YzGyz

Old 07/24/2007, 02:14 AM
TRC Leader

Another shot of the Rose. Today it moved down the rockwork and stretched out (no bubbles).

I added some Nerite snails from my collection trip to Port Aransas.

I put the Pipefish in this tank and ran to get my camera. As soon as I got back, I saw one of the Mini Carpet Anemones clamped down around the pipefish, so I extracted it from its grasp and removed it from the tank. Whoops!
Old 07/24/2007, 08:41 AM
Registered Member

awesome!!! looks great!
Old 07/24/2007, 09:34 AM
Registered Member

This tank is awesome. I wonder how possible it would be to do that type of angle on a large scale system. I am designing a 240 pensula tank in our living/dingroom, as a sort of room divider and I dont want to do a standard tank, I want something diffrent. This would be awesome on a larger scale I think. Proibally dont want to know what it would cost thou. We looked into the 0-edge tanks but while my man LOVES them I think I will get bored, andc looking into maybe a bullet or bowfront nose tank too.
Old 07/24/2007, 10:50 AM

First of all, that nerite shell kicks butt. That's why I like them so much. I have so many with beautiful markings and I have never seen one like that yet. Kudos on that find Marc, and let's talk about me getting some to breed!

Helfrich’s Chic: If you truly live on the West Side of the USA, a zero edge tank is a no-no...one little quake and you will lose most of your water in one fell swoop. I know the rimless tanks are hot (I love the look myself), and I have a buddy in San Jose that wants to put one in, but I seriously lectured him on that one. I love look down tanks and rimless are beauts like invincible's, but the fact of the matter is, they are a disaster waiting to happen in any quake prone area.

Trying to do a look-down as a room divider is also going to be difficult because you won't really be dividing the room much. The issue with going larger with Marc's cool "clam" tank, is much less oxygen exchange area on a higher volume of water. You shold do some serious research on this as it is a major factor in reef health and you wouldn't want to build a 240g tank that can't get enough gas exchange. Don't forget that Marc's is tied into a huge system with a lot of surface area.
Old 07/24/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

I am getting ready to setup a smaller top-down "clam" tank connected to my main system also. I am going to move my pair of pink skunk clowns in there to prevent my fairy wrasse from torturing the male... And of course get another clam for it.
Old 07/24/2007, 01:06 PM
*Pico Freak*

Amazing job Mark. The tank is stunning!!!

-Chris-
Old 07/24/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

Love the tank shape Melev. Awesome set-up as usual.

Q: Krylon Fusion. Are you 100% it's reef safe? Im about to paint a clear overflow & dont want to regret it later. Is a day's cure time long enough? Thanks
Old 07/24/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

As if you have not caused me to go out an tear apart enough things and re-engineer almost everything I have running... now you go and do this.

Melve has gone out ans saved me hundreds again!

Instead of making my new BC29 a stand alone cube, I have placed it on the opposite wall of my main system. Sometime in the next couple weeks I will be cutting the back panel in it, putting in an overflow, sending that overflow through the wall and into the sump of my main system.

Now I do not have to worry about top off water, controllers, bla bla bla. All i need to do is cut some drywall, cut some glass, mod the cube a little and BAMN... hundreds saved, hours in maintenance saved... all because of you and your great ideas.

IF i only could make stuff out of acrylic, then I would be really talking!

Thanks for another series of wicked ideas... Pics to come as the system takes shape.

It will be an open top BC 29... I can no wait to see it!!!!

I Brake for FRAGS!
Tampa Bay Reef Club
Old 07/24/2007, 06:35 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by Lagger
Love the tank shape Melev. Awesome set-up as usual.

Q: Krylon Fusion. Are you 100% it's reef safe? Im about to paint a clear overflow & dont want to regret it later. Is a day's cure time long enough? Thanks
24 hours would be wise. I was working as fast as it would dry. My tank had a cloudiness to it the next day and I figured it was the paint.

Yes, Krylon Fusion has the Randy Holmes Farley seal of approval, I believe. I've used a Sharpie in the past as that works too, but it doesn't last long at all.
Old 07/24/2007, 06:46 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
24 hours would be wise. I was working as fast as it would dry. My tank had a cloudiness to it the next day and I figured it was the paint.
Oh man

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
Yes, Krylon Fusion has the Randy Holmes Farley seal of approval, I believe. I've used a Sharpie in the past as that works too, but it doesn't last long at all.
Thanks for the re-assurance. My sps thank you!
Old 07/24/2007, 06:48 PM
TRC Leader

Bryan, I'm glad my thread could help you. I've been thinking about putting an Auto Top off on my quarantine tank lately.
Old 07/24/2007, 07:52 PM
SWFMAS President

Quote:
Originally posted by Lagger
Im about to paint a clear overflow & dont want to regret it later. Is a day's cure time long enough? Thanks
Lagger,

if you haven't started yet .. try roughening the overflow box up with ... a fine grid sand paper?

I painted my return piping that is underwater ... it started growing algae .. and of course the fish have been eaing the algae off the pipe, along with the paint.

QUOTE by deschlayer:
I don't want real life lighting...I want better! Nature/god never grew a 400 pound pumpkin, man did.
Old 07/24/2007, 07:56 PM
SWFMAS President

Quote:
Originally posted by WarDaddy
Sometime in the next couple weeks I will be cutting the back panel in it, putting in an overflow, sending that overflow through the wall and into the sump of my main system.

... cut some glass, mod the cube a little and BAMN...
It will be an open top BC 29... I can no wait to see it!!!!

war,

is the back panel of the BC29 made out of glass, or plastic?

thanks,

marco

QUOTE by deschlayer:
Old 07/24/2007, 08:45 PM
Registered Member.

Mark,
Did you think about bending the whole front plane instead of gluing the angle?