Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2008, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

Had to talk to bosses ex today!

And it didn't go very well.

She told me that my boss needed to pay for the insurance on the vehicle that SHE bought for their 16 year old son. I basically told her that she need to pay for half of the insurance that has been paid for the other 2 kids before I would commit to paying it on behalf of the boss. (I know it wasn't my place, but he is my boss and asked me to do it).

She started the conversation defensive and told me to just write the vin number down in a snide voice which made me my blood pressure rise and my body tingly and my hands started shaking in anger because I don't appreciate being told what to do by someone I do not know.

She asked me if I was his wife and I said NO, but I do take care of the insurance and can NOT add a 16 year old to a commercial policy........HECK I am already having to pay $4,000 per year on the 22 year old cause the turd has so many tickets/accidents and when added to a commercial policy it adds them as a driver to ALL things on that policy! I tried to get him on a policy of his own, but the cost is more that what I pay to have him on the commercial policy.

I told her I didn't appreciate her being RUDE to me (she obviously denied that) and I told her my blood pressure is going up and I was getting all tingly because she was upsetting me that she needed to discuss this with my boss!

I don't know this woman and don't care to- especially since all the kids chose to live with their dad and she has paid NOTHING (unless you count the car) toward child care for the last 7-8 years.

After my conversation with this dead beat mom who drives a Hummer...I told the boss that I would appreciate it if he would not ever ask me to speak with her again and went over our conversation with him. I told him that I don't appreciate anyone that I do not know telling me what to do.

Sorry, I just needed to vent. Back to your regularly scheduled program.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:47 PM
in the bathtub

Re: Had to talk to bosses ex today!

Quote:
Originally posted by vonodie1
(I know it wasn't my place, but he is my boss and asked me to do it).
I'm sorry Boss but with all due respect I see no future in becoming involved in you're personal financial dealings with your ex-wife.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 01/10/2008, 04:57 PM
Team RC Member

No,no,nononononooooo, don't get put in this position. If things blow up and it gets to a court case, your boss will blame you and hang you out to dry as the guilty party.

If you are getting emotionally involved---don't. Go back. It's a trap. I fear it will become a soul-sucking vampire of a relationship, and you could end up with no job, no relationship, and being asked to testify in a court fight. Worse, you could marry into this situation and spend the rest of your life in this fight.

I'd begin right now to start to look for another position, one in which office relationships are professional, nicely paying, and have a prospect of staying that way. Respect for YOUR professional dignity is way lacking here.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:00 PM
Registered Member

It would have been a perfect time to ask boss about that promotion.

And if promotion was likely, I would have said... You know I'd do anything for you, right boss.

And if he was evasive on promotion idea then what fatman said.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

you said it all when you said this:"she needed to discuss this with my boss!"
whatever your personal or professional relationship with your boss is, his dealings with his ex-wife are HIS business.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:05 PM
Premium Member

He has already been told I will not speak with her again.

She just stuck her foot in her mouth if she actually put the vehicle in bosses name without him signing any of the documents. She did tell me that she put it in bosses name and she also told bosses daughter the same.

I take my job very seriously...I do not get paid enough for all of the emotional turmoil that I have to put up with and deal with, but hubby works here too and he doesn't want me to go find another job- even if this one is a will I get paid this week or not type of job.

Heck, I wouldn't even care if I worked at Dairy Queen....a job is a job.
Old 01/10/2008, 07:24 PM
Team RC Member

Thank goodness for the husband---you're not vulnerable to the Next Step of this untidy business, where Boss wants to take you out for drinks so he can tell you at length about his divorce, so you will sympathize with him and become his next romantic target...seen that one play out waaaay too often.
Just keep your emotional distance, don't get caught again, and if you notice the water deepening, head for the life preservers, taking husband with you.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:56 PM
Where's My Jell-O?

Ah, let me slap the poo outta her! I'll sit my hubby's ex-wife right next to her so I make sure I don't miss!!!!!

Melting!
Old 01/10/2008, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

Re: Had to talk to bosses ex today!

Quote:
Originally posted by vonodie1

I don't appreciate being told what to do by someone I do not know.

How about a sammich!
Old 01/10/2008, 11:18 PM
667 (Evil and then some)

ummmmmmmmmmm.......

Why the heck are you even having this discussion????

Are you his attorney?

When she tells you what HE should be paying, you should say "That is between you and him. Can I have him call you back?"

You have no business being involved in such arguments and you don't know what he has promissed or what is in the divorce papers/ parenting plan. Stay out of the argument.

Quote:
After my conversation with this dead beat mom who drives a Hummer...I told the boss that I would appreciate it if he would not ever ask me to speak with her again and went over our conversation with him. I told him that I don't appreciate anyone that I do not know telling me what to do

YOU opened the door by engaging in the discussion. All you had to do was say, "I have no part in this. Can I have him call you back?"

Conflict avoidance is a wonderful skill and one you need to learn.