Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge

Old 01/10/2008, 02:48 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Any Doctors? sick on and off for a month! weird differences...

I already went to a doctor, but all he could do is take a blood test. Now I have to wait a week before getting any results. He didn't really elaborate what might be wrong, so I was wondering what you guys might think.

I got sick with a fever on December 11th, had a sore throat and lost my voice for about 4 days, then completely recovered. I played basketball for hours, worked out everyday, for a week. Then Christmas day, I get sick again, fever, sore throat, but this time the sore throat wasn't bad, and went away in a day, but I started coughing.

Then I got better a week later, basketball, working out, running, etc no problem. Then Tuesday I have a crazy fever, and I feel nauseous, with no other symptoms. I went to the doctor right away.

That night I was way hot, and then was fine the next day. Then last night I felt like I was freezing cold, even though the temp in the room was like 76 degrees. My temperature was about 102. I popped some tylenol and was back to normal. This morning I woke up perfectly fine again.

What the heck is going on with me?
Old 01/10/2008, 04:07 PM
Registered Member

Your gonna Die......................................

we all do sometime.

“The true man wants two things: danger and play. For that reason he wants woman, as the most dangerous plaything.” - Friedrich Nietzsche
Old 01/10/2008, 04:35 PM
An EEEVEEEL veterinarian?

You're pregnant.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:43 PM
Team RC Member

Probably strep. THere's a lovely two-part cocktail you can get, a strep staph combo, which make you feel lower than a snake's belly. I'm not a doc. But off-on and a blood test sounds like that's what they're looking for. The cure 10 years ago was horse pill sized meds.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/10/2008, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Being a doctor is like being an IT guy, you see....

And many times we have no idea what's wrong.
And as you know assumption is the mother of all screwup. (being polite here).

So... what has to be done is a process of elimination...
In this case, it starts with a blood test.

If blood test doesn't eliminate anything, next visit you may have to bendover and cough.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:00 PM
Tailspot Blenny

lol you guys are funny/entertaining and extremely helpful at the same time =)

Yeah I have a follow up on tuesday. I want them to find a tiny bit of paly toxin in my blood and go "what the heck is that?"

I did do some paly fragging, but always with horse birthing gloves from tunze, goggles, and a SARs mask =P but you never know... heck i might have a blue ring lurking around in my tank somewhere.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:02 PM
Registered Member

i never had a problem handling my paly's with bare hands. maybe a little tingling for a couple minutes, but that was it.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:05 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Porter
i never had a problem handling my paly's with bare hands. maybe a little tingling for a couple minutes, but that was it.
freak!!!

I get a pain like carpul tunnel after handling zoas and palys with my bare hands... usually I think it's a mental thing.
Old 01/10/2008, 05:28 PM
Wangateur & Sauveteur

There are many mononucleosis-like viruses which can cause similar symptoms. There are a few more serious problems which can cause recurring fevers, so follow-up until you get the answer is important.

Are you having night sweats? Weight loss? Appetite loss?
Old 01/10/2008, 05:43 PM
Tailspot Blenny

night sweats on Tuesday night, then last night I was freakishly cold until I took tylenol and then I had sweats again.

No weight loss really, though sometimes I'll lose a couple pounds here and there if I don't try to maintain my weight.

I still eat like a pig =/
Old 01/10/2008, 06:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
I still eat like a pig
Great! like fish, it means you’re not gonna to die…you need a quarantine tank/room for treatment…
I believe you have some kind of viruses…like fish has itch, it gone then it comes.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:41 PM
Rubberman

So from the sound of it you feel bad about 1/2 the time. Just thank your lucky stars it's not all the time.

SteveU
Old 01/10/2008, 06:42 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Originally posted by gtrestoration
So from the sound of it you feel bad about 1/2 the time. Just thank your lucky stars it's not all the time.

SteveU
yeah, it's only at night, but then during the day it sucks because I didn't get that great of sleep =P
Old 01/10/2008, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Check around your house/room for damp or mold prone areas. This time of year the humidity can cause excessive mold growth depending where you live and mold can do some weird stuff to the body and respiratory system. Get some rest even if you have to take some pills to help. No rest= no heal.

Check the fridge for out of date foodstuff. You could be visiting the same bad food topping, snack, etc that is making you sick. And finally the big one that no one considers, you stressin' over stuff?, work, relationship, life in general? Stress will eat you up from the inside out.

If none of the above applies then quit whining and suck it up!
Old 01/10/2008, 07:48 PM
Movin On Up

Sounds like what the wif has.........

Menopause

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 01/10/2008, 07:51 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Originally posted by surfjeepzx
Check around your house/room for damp or mold prone areas. This time of year the humidity can cause excessive mold growth depending where you live and mold can do some weird stuff to the body and respiratory system. Get some rest even if you have to take some pills to help. No rest= no heal.

Check the fridge for out of date foodstuff. You could be visiting the same bad food topping, snack, etc that is making you sick. And finally the big one that no one considers, you stressin' over stuff?, work, relationship, life in general? Stress will eat you up from the inside out.

If none of the above applies then quit whining and suck it up!
I'll check for mold, though nothing is apparently moldy. We did have a slight leak in the roof with the rain recently... maybe the attic.

Stress, could be. There's a bunch of things happening at work, though it's a lot less stress than I've had before. Long distance relationship for almost 3 years now is pretty stressful, though relationship is good, there's that anxiety of "will we ever be close?". Stocks suck butt, but I've only lost $200 so that's not bad at all really.

Eh at least nothing is intrinsically wrong at this point I'm gathering...

thanks for the help guys!
Old 01/10/2008, 10:15 PM
Rubberman

If stress was bad for you I'd be dead.

SteveU
Old 01/10/2008, 10:17 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Originally posted by gtrestoration
If stress was bad for you I'd be dead.

SteveU
I'm probably much more fortunate than others I do admit, things aren't going terribly.

I work about 60-70 hours a week only, other than that I'm fairly relaxed.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:44 PM
Where's My Jell-O?

Quote:
Originally posted by Kinetic
lol you guys are funny/entertaining and extremely helpful at the same time =)

Yeah I have a follow up on tuesday. I want them to find a tiny bit of paly toxin in my blood and go "what the heck is that?"

I did do some paly fragging, but always with horse birthing gloves from tunze, goggles, and a SARs mask =P but you never know... heck i might have a blue ring lurking around in my tank somewhere.
Cool fish!!! One of my favorites!

When I was a kid I would spike a high fever in the evening and it would break about bedtime or shortly after. They would do urine & blood tests like crazy trying to figure out what was going on, and they seemed to be aiming at a problem with the kidneys. It went away and they never did seem to figure out what was causing it.

Melting!
Old 01/10/2008, 11:06 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Originally posted by 2fishy
Cool fish!!! One of my favorites!

When I was a kid I would spike a high fever in the evening and it would break about bedtime or shortly after. They would do urine & blood tests like crazy trying to figure out what was going on, and they seemed to be aiming at a problem with the kidneys. It went away and they never did seem to figure out what was causing it.
yeah one of my favorite fishes too! but sadly lost this one recently =(

I hope my kidney's are ok, I got two so I hope at least one's in good shape =)
Old 01/10/2008, 11:12 PM
Where's My Jell-O?

Sorry about the fish! Do you know what happened?

I wouldn't worry about the kidney's. Like I said with me they never found anything. If the fever breaks it could just be that you are fighting a virus of some sort. Crossing my fingers for you that that is all it is!

Melting!
Old 01/11/2008, 05:58 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kinetic
I work about 60-70 hours a week only

poor you. wow, i only put in 37 1/2 hours a week. once and a while a bit of overtime, but it would still be below 50 hrs.

There were plenty of fish in the sea, but i wasn't ready to hang up my tacklebox.
Old 01/11/2008, 01:02 PM
Tailspot Blenny

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeffrey Porter
poor you. wow, i only put in 37 1/2 hours a week. once and a while a bit of overtime, but it would still be below 50 hrs.
yeah, there are actually times where I work very little too, but that's more rare than occasional.

I'm a software engineer with a startup company... what can I say =P
Old 01/11/2008, 01:15 PM
Registered Member

i'm at work right now, but i'm sitting here on RC , RB and facebook, between doing actual work.

Old 01/11/2008, 01:20 PM
Grampa Extroardinaire

Too old for women to care