Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 04:16 AM
Registered Member

Miniata Grouper owners

I am looking to buy a Miniata Grouper in the near future, but I need a little info before I do:

Any special tips about the acclimation and introduction of this fish?

Any special needs for this fish or special considerations for young specimen?

Should this fish be the first or the last to introduce to a tank?

How did you get this fish to eat at first?

What do you think is the ideal size to get?

How long was your tank setup before you added him?

Thanks
Old 01/06/2008, 10:46 AM
Registered Member

my tank was set up about 3 months before getting the miniatus. he was about 4 " long and my second fish. I had a 4" tusk in the tank (300 FOWLR) and the miniatus bullied him. I now have him in the same tank minus the tusk and I have a large puffer and lion fish with him. He ate for me right away and now eats scraps from the puffer. only have the puffer and lion for about 1 wk, tank has been running for 6 months. Miniatus are pushy and can be aggressive although the LFS has a 10" one that they said was not very aggressive. be cautious and consider the whole community. I would probably put it in last and make sure all other fish were substantially bigger.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

Miniatus Groupers are one of the most pushy and aggressive groupers commonly available in the trade. At a LFS, a 4 inch miniatus gobbled down a 5 inch wrasse and then scared all the fish to one corner of the tank. They can get fairly large, and like most groupers, ou shouldnt have the grouper with any fish that is significantly smaller than itself, as it will become an expensive meal.

Acclimation is the same for groupers than any other fish, drip acclimation.

Tips about introduction of the fish should be stated above.

These fish can, and will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, so beware. Another consideration would be its size. I wouldnt recommend anything less than 150 gallons, since it can reach lengths up to 18 inches.

I would introduce this towards the end of your stocklist.

If you purchase the Miniatus from a lfs, if its not eating, dont buy it. If you order it online, offer it krill orsmall pieces of silversides. Groupers are pretty good at eating almost immediately after being moved.

I never had one, but people I know that have had one removed it shortly because either another fish mysteriosly disappeared, or the grouper got extremely territoral, or a combination of both.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:41 PM
10 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by limitedslip
These fish can, and will eat anything they can fit in their mouths, so beware.
That includes having a meal that is hanging out of the mouth because it's too big to eat in one bite. Anything they perceive as smaller than themselves is on the menu

Ideal tankmates are triggers, large angels, tangs and other fish that are at least as big as the grouper is. Also they need to be fish that won't try and live in the groupers hole, as they are territorial homebodies.

As for getting them eat, they normally adapt to eating the typical aquarium fare in short order.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/06/2008, 03:39 PM
Registered Member

I would get a smaller one(3-5") and let him grow up....u dont to get really small one as they are more sensitive.....they usually have no problems eating frozen foods....krill,squid,silversides,etc.
Make sure you have a tight fitting lid,i had a 13"+ miniatus that jumped up through my glass canopy.....strong fish(ie grouper
)......just make sure the tankmates wont fit in his mouth like pretty much every1 else said....overall pretty easy fish to care for and have brilliant coloration...hhhmmmm....might have to get another one with my puffers,lion,trigger-fit right in....lol
Old 01/06/2008, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Thank you guys for all the info. Boy I'm glad I asked before I went and bought one. The Lfs here has one that's atleast 6" and eats well but they have had it for about 2 months now. I think I'll see if they will order me a smaller one rather than walking into a bunch of problems with him.
As far as tank mates I'm looking at M.grouper , clown trigger, lion fish, queen angel and 1-2 yellow tangs.

thanks again for the help