Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 07:19 AM
Stop touching me!!!

Jeep Commander?

Mrs MM has decided she wants a fully loaded Jeep Commander. ANybody have gouge on these things? Been doing the homework and have the Edmunds invoice info, but I'm thinking we're gonna have to have the MyGIG, backseat DVD, and rear backup camera (the thing is a behemoth)...
Old 12/20/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

you'll get lots of input here. i recently started thinking about trading my mini van for a jeep or something similar but just this morning, i got to thinking...i don't need a jeep/whatever AND a truck so now i'm considering trading both my van and my truck on a nicer truck and getting myself down to one vehicle.

at one point, gary and i had his old ratty caddy and a big, loaded 4WD, extended cab blah blah blah pick-up but he always said that truck rode like, well, a truck. it never bothered me so now i think that's what i just might do.
Old 12/20/2007, 08:47 AM
Premium Member

My wife and I have an '06 Commander after having 4 Grand Cherokees prior to that purchase. It's a cool ride, so cool in fact that my Dad and best friend went and bought one after riding in mine a few times! There are more refined vehicles in its class, but the feel of it and the room inside are what sold me. The third row is good in a pinch or would be fine for kids I think. I bought the standard 8 and get 14mpg(my Dad's Hemi is worse) if I'm lucky so if you're looking for gas mileage, look elsewhere! I imagine you knew that already! It comes standard with back up sensors, and for me that is all I need. The camera takes a few seconds to click on and I don't think I'd look at it. Good luck!
Old 12/20/2007, 11:19 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

I love jeeps,and come from a jeep family, Have owned 3 grands and 2 cherokees.

That being said, my brother had a cherokee and traded it in on a Commander. We got our first snow, and he said it was horrible in it, ground clearence seemed to be less as he said it just plowed the snow. He also said it is very touchy and by not doing certian things in order, with the parking brake and such it trips the check engine light.
Old 12/20/2007, 11:50 AM
in the bathtub

Re: Jeep Commander?

Quote:
Originally posted by Minuteman
Mrs MM has decided she wants a fully loaded Jeep Commander.
She trading you in for a ground pounder?!

I don't know why? All that guy seems to do is point.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Dr. Lao: "That's ok. Me no use bait."
Old 12/20/2007, 12:17 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Blaze
I love jeeps,and come from a jeep family, Have owned 3 grands and 2 cherokees.

That being said, my brother had a cherokee and traded it in on a Commander. We got our first snow, and he said it was horrible in it, ground clearence seemed to be less as he said it just plowed the snow. He also said it is very touchy and by not doing certian things in order, with the parking brake and such it trips the check engine light.
I am surprised it didn't perform well in the snow. I haven't had a chance to really test mine as we didn't get any substantial snow last year. I think the Commander actually has more ground clearance than the current Grand and I also figured the extra weight would help.? I'm praying for a big snow here as its been awhile since we had a good one!
Old 12/20/2007, 12:36 PM
Registered Member

Not slapping it down but check the "10 worst list" for '07. First 5 are Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep as I recall and resell value was a big hit. Had a Jeep Comanche for years and loved it but it had the Jeep motor, not the retooled chrysler POS. Just my opinion.
Old 12/20/2007, 02:22 PM
Stop touching me!!!

Re: Re: Jeep Commander?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Man
She trading you in for a ground pounder?!

I don't know why? All that guy seems to do is point.
No way, I'm her fully loaded Navy Commander, she wants a Jeep one too...
Old 12/20/2007, 02:39 PM
in the bathtub

Re: Re: Re: Jeep Commander?

Quote:
Originally posted by Minuteman
No way, I'm her fully loaded Navy Commander, she wants a Jeep one too...
I'm sure you can point just as good as he can.

Ed: "I hate to tell you this Dr., but there aren't any fish in that river. In fact, there isn't any river."
Old 12/20/2007, 03:52 PM
Stop touching me!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by fireiko
I am surprised it didn't perform well in the snow. I haven't had a chance to really test mine as we didn't get any substantial snow last year. I think the Commander actually has more ground clearance than the current Grand and I also figured the extra weight would help.? I'm praying for a big snow here as its been awhile since we had a good one!
Doesn't have more ground clearance than MY current Grand!!!

Old 12/20/2007, 03:53 PM
Stop touching me!!!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Jeep Commander?

Quote:
Originally posted by Fat Man
I'm sure you can point just as good as he can.
And longer too...
Old 12/20/2007, 03:54 PM
in the bathtub

Old 12/21/2007, 08:31 AM
Dumb Hobbiest

Nice lifted Grand!

The 69 Camaro looks pretty sweet as well!
Old 12/21/2007, 11:50 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Originally posted by cichlid nutz
Not slapping it down but check the "10 worst list" for '07. First 5 are Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep as I recall and resell value was a big hit. Had a Jeep Comanche for years and loved it but it had the Jeep motor, not the retooled chrysler POS. Just my opinion.
For full disclosure, my wife's from a Chrysler family, so we get the employee pricing on everything they make.

After the multiple cars that her mom and siblings have had, and after the Cherokee I had, We're unlikely to ever even consider a Chrysler product of any kind again. They've been nothing but trouble, and even with the discount aren't worth it.

Even if that weren't the case, I don't know what gas is like where you live, but it's a little over $3/g here right now. I don't see myself considering anything with under 25mpg. JMO

Dave