Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2007, 11:26 AM
Registered Member

I had the back break on one of my modded MJs. I was using the DUMAS 3004 prop on an older MJ1200. After I dug the pieces out from behind the rock, I superglued the piece back on then covered it with epoxy. Its been running fine with standard impellar haven't tried a mod on it since I fixed it.
Old 11/13/2007, 02:23 PM
Obsessed reefer

Got rid of rattling/vibration w/ sureflow 1600 on Maxi 1200

A couple of weeks ago, I modded a Maxi 1200 that I had with a Sureflow 1600 kit ( stock kit ). I really like the flow it produces but I had a vibration and rather frequent rattling sound that was becoming annoying for me. Previous posts in this thread said Sureflow ( Algae Free ) would take care of the problem but I decided to try an idea that was mentioned somewhere in this lengthy thread.

All I did was change both of the black/red end caps that go on the end of the rod with the ones that were originally on the Maxi jet 1200 impeller prior to adding the Sureflow kit. They seem to be made of a harder material than the ones that come with the mod kit.

After changing the end caps, the Sureflow 1600 has been running completely silent on the Maxi jet 1200 without the slightest hum, vibration, or rattle. The harder caps must hold the propeller straight and balanced compared to the softer caps that allow some movement ??

Anyway, just wanted to share this in case some of you are having the same noise issue with yours.

......Hi Joe..........
Old 11/13/2007, 02:27 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by seagirl
anyone getting any noise out of their GSII? mine started to make a loud rattle last night, not on a wavemaker.
I had mine make a noise the other night. I think mine was due to it sucking in sand from one of my idiot fish stirring it up
Old 11/13/2007, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

The GS2 wasn't making any noise the first night but had vibration/rattling noise the second night but after a week it's almost not noticeable.

Quote:
Originally posted by fat-tony
I had mine make a noise the other night. I think mine was due to it sucking in sand from one of my idiot fish stirring it up
Old 11/13/2007, 02:46 PM
Moved On

Re: Got rid of rattling/vibration w/ sureflow 1600 on Maxi 1200

Quote:
Originally posted by Froggy
A couple of weeks ago, I modded a Maxi 1200 that I had with a Sureflow 1600 kit ( stock kit ). I really like the flow it produces but I had a vibration and rather frequent rattling sound that was becoming annoying for me. Previous posts in this thread said Sureflow ( Algae Free ) would take care of the problem but I decided to try an idea that was mentioned somewhere in this lengthy thread.

All I did was change both of the black/red end caps that go on the end of the rod with the ones that were originally on the Maxi jet 1200 impeller prior to adding the Sureflow kit. They seem to be made of a harder material than the ones that come with the mod kit.

After changing the end caps, the Sureflow 1600 has been running completely silent on the Maxi jet 1200 without the slightest hum, vibration, or rattle. The harder caps must hold the propeller straight and balanced compared to the softer caps that allow some movement ??

Anyway, just wanted to share this in case some of you are having the same noise issue with yours.

Hmmm so the end caps on the Sureflow aren't the stock MJ end caps? I'll have to take mine apart and look and compare. If the end caps on the Sureflow are smaller and allowed to rotate, I can see how this thing could eventually drill it way through the bottom of the MJ pump.
Old 11/13/2007, 03:22 PM
Obsessed reefer

Yeah, they are different. The ones that come with the Sureflow kit are softer. Just squeeze it and compare it to the ones that come with the Maxi-jet. You will see the difference. I wonder why they are different ?

......Hi Joe..........
Old 11/13/2007, 03:37 PM
rainbow sherbet stylo...

i always had a hard time getting the black caps off my mods when cleaning or modding(did 8 mods), the ones on the sureflow come off much easier.

they aren't smaller, but as froggy said, they are softer, more pliable.
Old 11/13/2007, 04:04 PM
Charleston Reefer

I just got my ecomod replacement shafts today. I will keep you guys updated if it starts rusting again.
Old 11/13/2007, 06:15 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Froggy
Yeah, they are different. The ones that come with the Sureflow kit are softer. Just squeeze it and compare it to the ones that come with the Maxi-jet. You will see the difference. I wonder why they are different ?

I just confirmed it. They ARE different than the stock MJ end caps. WHY is a very good question.

But now that I inspected the end caps closer I can see how noise can be an issue as well as the end cap having the potential to drill it way through the MJ pump. This thing is too loosely fitting the MJ pump which would mean it has the potential to spin with the shaft as well turning itself into a drill bit if you will Hmmm....

The obvious and easy fix is to replace those Sureflow end caps with the original MJ ones.
Old 11/13/2007, 06:22 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by twon8
i always had a hard time getting the black caps off my mods when cleaning or modding(did 8 mods), the ones on the sureflow come off much easier.

they aren't smaller, but as froggy said, they are softer, more pliable.

Yeah but the black rubber jacket on the end caps on the Sureflow being softer/more pliable means it makes the whole end cap technically smaller and will allow it to spin with the shaft inside the pump. This thing should not be spinning at all IMO.
Old 11/13/2007, 06:23 PM
Obsessed reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by dhnguyen
I just confirmed it. They ARE different than the stock MJ end caps. WHY is a very good question.

But now that I inspected the end caps closer I can see how noise can be an issue as well as the end cap having the potential to drill it way through the MJ pump. This thing is too loosely fitting the MJ pump which would mean it has the potential to spin with the shaft as well turning itself into a drill bit if you will Hmmm....

The obvious and easy fix is to replace those Sureflow end caps with the original MJ ones.
I agree. I have only had my Sureflow mod for 2 weeks and not on a wave timer. I have it running 24/7 but it made a lot of noise. It now runs completely silent with the original MJ endcaps on instead of the ones with the Sureflow kit.

It's an easy fix and from the looks of it a necessary one due to noise and wear. Hopefully word gets out to others.

......Hi Joe..........
Old 11/13/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

May be that's the reason on the GS2 kit where they have you take out the original MJ endcaps for use and plus like D said 'why reinvent the wheel'.
Old 11/14/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

I'm running my sureflow on a MJ900 with magnet attachment. I'm running an Eco on MJ1200 on Eco's hanger attachment. The sureflow puts out much more flow and in a better "cone" pattern than the Eco but it did make noise until I put it on the magnet.
Old 11/14/2007, 11:36 AM
Reef Cowboy

Sorry, but I can't find it in the thread: MJ400 and MJ900 = same output on the GS2 kits? So doesn't matter? Or is there a reason I should commit two of my 900s instead of cheaper 400s? (Like beefier startup on wavemaker etc.). Thanks!
Old 11/14/2007, 03:25 PM
Registered Member

Magnet users! what do you use to glue the magnet to the GS2 bracket? I use the epoxies and with force it came loose. Found that the GS2 bracket made of Poly, epoxies won' work. thanks.
Old 11/14/2007, 03:26 PM
Registered Member

I use a sureflow kit and i just used superglue to glue my magnet to the bracket
Old 11/15/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Is a pulse wavemaker the one that doesnt turn off the pump, just slows down?
Old 11/15/2007, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Is a pulse wavemaker the one that doesnt turn off the pump, just slows down?
Old 11/15/2007, 10:22 PM
Male Gigolo

Forgive me if this has been discussed, to many pages to read. O)

Has anyone tried to somehow plug the top slots on an EcoMod to allow it to get higher in the tank.

I have a custom tank that is 4ft long, but only 13" tall. I want to place it closer to the top, but it continually sucks air in. Even when its 3" from the top. So I was thinking about epoxying the top slits up. I don't mind if it reduces the flow a bit as long as it wouldnt hurt the pump.

Any thoughts?
Old 11/15/2007, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

buy a tunze
Old 11/16/2007, 12:30 AM
Reef Cowboy

Tunze. Pffffff.

But seriously: How do you securely attach magnet to the GS2 bracket? And: MJ400? MJ900? Does it matter?
Old 11/16/2007, 01:20 AM
Moved On

you'll need a MJ900 at least. The MJ400 motor just isn't strong enough to spin the smaller medium Octura prop.

I super glue the magnet on to ther GS2 mount
Old 11/16/2007, 01:21 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by czerbe
buy a tunze

Tunzebots are everywhere
Old 11/16/2007, 01:35 AM
Reef Cowboy

"Join the tunze, resistance is futile", right?
Old 11/16/2007, 01:39 AM
Charleston Reefer

talking about tunze, they got a clearance sale going now....

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1245006
Stream Pumps
6000- $250
6100- $290

6060-$80

Not a bad deal for the 6060.