Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/05/2007, 11:06 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy unexplained death

i was wondering what would cause an unexplained death of my acro..... it was a ORA blue tort that had been in my tank for a little over a year. i woke up this morning and he was slimmed very bad, and when i blew him off i could see white skeleton under the slime..... all of my other acros are just fine, but about a month ago, i had the same thing happen to one of my turqouise blue tip acros..... when i tested my water here were my water parameters
440 ppm cal
11 dkh
pH 8.34
trace of nitrates(just barely turned, but not enough fr the test to explain) under 2ppm
0 ppm nitrites
0 ppm ammonia
80.5 deg F

any ideas of what is going on.... i didnt see any parasites or anything else on either of these corals... please help!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10/06/2007, 12:05 AM
Registered Member

is there anything that would be causing this... i have a new bucket of water mixing as we speek so can do a 30% waterchange.... anything else i can do????? please help!!!!!!!!! A little more info for you...
PO4- non readable(assumed 0)
SG- 1.027(clibrated and rechecked.... still the same)
I have not done anything different except start randys 2 part... but have been closely monitoring to make sure and not overdose since i like to rum on the high side..... been adding trace, aminos, hufas, strom and iodine, but slightly less than recommended... my test kits are all salifert, and i am aware that they had problems, so i brought it down to LFS and they tested exactly the same with API tests and dug out an old red sea, tested fine also... system info is as follows
120 show 48x24x24 RR
closed loop with reeflo dart and 4 outlets
40 gal sump
octo 200 skimmer
ocean runner 6500 return pump
2 x 250 watt 20k radiums(8 + months old)
2x 110 watt super actinic VHO(been out for 4 days getting balast repaired)
4- 1 watt blue moon lights on display
ACJR runs temp, lights and fans(no more than 1 1/2 DEG fluxuation in 24hrs)
fish-2 true percs
purple tang
2-maroon clowns
yellowtail blue tang
atlantic tang
green spot mandrin
4 line wrasse
mainly sps dominant
few lps(no where nears targeted coral)
few zoos
2 clams
150 blue legs
6 nassarius snails
2 turbo snails
2 inch sand bed/ 150+lbs live rock
cheato nand clerapa( insump)
treated for red bugs a little over a month ago... but has been doing awesome, and no sign of any of the little monsers...... hope this helps.. oh and the coral hasnt been moved in 5 months( about 5 in below the return)

Last edited by sdietz2469; 10/06/2007 at 12:42 AM.
Old 10/06/2007, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

maybe some kind of toxin,perhaps from a leather if you have one.if so run some activated carbon if your not already.
Old 10/06/2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

i dont think it could be that as i took all of my leathers out a couple of weeks ago.... anybody else have any ideas.. oh i dont have a test kit for magnesium, boran, iodine, or stromium... should i order these? how important are these... i do supplement, but really didnt want to spend the extra on these test kits since i have never tested and everything else seemed fine..... please let me know what you guys think..... shane
Old 10/06/2007, 08:17 PM
Registered Member

any other ideas would really help