Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/13/2007, 09:05 PM
Premium Member

Diff between RBTA & Bali True RBTA?

Been looking at the anemones on LA and wonder if anyone can explain if there is any difference between the RBTA and the Bali True RBTA other than where they are obtained?
Old 11/13/2007, 09:16 PM
Registered Member

Not a darn thing. Truthfully, the first RBTAs that I remember seeing 25 years ago came from Tonga.

I think they are trying to let you know that these RBTAs are truely red or orange rather than being reddish brown.
RBTAs come from everywhere GBTAs come from. They are not limited to Bali. I have seen some awesome ones photographed in the Red Sea. As I said before, the first ones to be imported
came mostly from one collector in Tonga.

A nice video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SjuMc5-Spw

Last edited by phender; 11/13/2007 at 09:25 PM.
Old 11/13/2007, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

phender, with all your experience, how can you make that statement.

There are definitely differences between Indo Roses and China Roses. Show me a picture of any China Rose or any other for that matter that looks near as nice or colorful as Indo Roses.

If there wasn't a difference than Live Aquaria wouldn't label them differently.
2 - True Bali RBTA - 6, and 8 inches i think
Sweet Green Carpet - 12 inches
Old 11/13/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cartman5579
phender, with all your experience, how can you make that statement.
There are definitely differences between Indo Roses and China Roses. Show me a picture of any China Rose or any other for that matter that looks near as nice or colorful as Indo Roses.
Easy, I have seen many of the "China Roses" in people's tanks that are absolutely beautiful and have stayed beautiful. On the otherhand I have seen bins full of "True Bali Roses" in wholesalers tanks that look exactly the same as what I assume you are picturing when you think "China Rose", bottom quarter of the tentacle green with the upper part being reddish brown that turns completely brown after two days in yours or the dealers tank.

To me a rose anemone means a red or orange or rose anemone. I doesn't mean red when it is deflated but brown as soon as it inflates. If you want to say an anemone is truely rose and not brown I'm all for it, but Bali doesn't have a corner on the truely rose colored BTA market, nor does it mean that you will be getting a truely rose colored anemone, just because its a RBTA from Bali. Red rose BTAs occur thoughout the range of BTAs. I have seen them in pics from the Marshall Islands, Tonga, Australia, Maldives, Africa, the Red Sea and of course several locations in Indonesia. From what I can tell the term "Rose anemone" was coined by Walt Smith, who at the time was collecting the anemones in Tonga. If you really want to call something a true rose anemone, I guess you would have to reserve that title for ones collected in Tonga.

Quote:
If there wasn't a difference than Live Aquaria wouldn't label them differently.
Now you are making me smile. Do you realize that the only reason that onyx percs cost more than regular percs is because of Live Aquaria?
Old 11/13/2007, 11:32 PM
Enjoying Life

Quote:
Now you are making me smile. Do you realize that the only reason that onyx percs cost more than regular percs is because of Live Aquaria?
+1
Old 11/13/2007, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

Well, to me Onyx percs are just nice percs with good black coloring, not the same as picasso's and snowflakes which i think should demand a higher price.

BUT..... with that being said i know that the RBTA's from INDO have a different color base than others, which i think looks nicer than a RBTA that looks like one big translucent blob. And they are also RED, not brown like the china roses get.
Old 11/14/2007, 12:14 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
Well, to me Onyx percs are just nice percs with good black coloring, not the same as picasso's and snowflakes which i think should demand a higher price.
Why, they cost the same to raise as the common color pattern? There was a time picasso's and snowflakes would be fed to the pet lionfish as culls, creative marketing and an expanding hobby saves them today.

Quote:
BUT..... with that being said i know that the RBTA's from INDO have a different color base than others, which i think looks nicer than a RBTA that looks like one big translucent blob. And they are also RED, not brown like the china roses get.
Your china rose experience appears to be limited to the "flood the market" specimens. Not a bad thing, but plenty of blobs have come out of Indo over the years as well.
Old 11/14/2007, 12:20 AM
Registered Member

i believe you!

Well, this isn't my thread, so i'll let ya'll fight it out. Sorry i spoke up!
Old 11/14/2007, 06:52 AM
Registered Member

I also cant beleave the price on the piacsso and snow flake. There just a morph and require the same attention as a fry of normal clowns. I guess i mad that i dont have a pair that produces them
Old 11/14/2007, 07:55 AM
problem algae grower

I am a fairly experienced diver i reckon and The nicest rose anemones I have seen have been in the red sea, woodhouse reef at 28 metres was the nicest specimin I ever saw, huge!! the non cloning type i assume as there was only one
Old 11/14/2007, 08:45 AM
RC Mod

Quote:
i believe you!

Well, this isn't my thread, so i'll let ya'll fight it out. Sorry i spoke up!
Nobody owns the thread, please don't hesitate to bring your experiences. There are just a couple of folks that have been chasing around BTAs for a few days and remember the cherry specimens they missed in years gone by ;>)
Old 11/14/2007, 11:47 AM
Registered Member

I guess i only spoke up from my experiences. I originally got one that i thought looked great, only to get it home and in the tank it looked awful. Then recently i picked up two "true Indo rose anemones", and they are simply the nicest bta's i've owned or seen as of yet.