Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 12/31/2007, 08:53 AM
Registered Member

I absolutely love the color of your stand !
Old 12/31/2007, 09:45 AM
Take your time...........

Thank You it is Minwax Sedona Red on Red oak.....
Old 12/31/2007, 04:44 PM
Registered Member

Looks awesome. Can't wait to see it put together.

David
Old 01/05/2008, 05:18 PM

ttt
Old 01/05/2008, 08:34 PM
Registered Member

Looking realy good
Old 01/05/2008, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

That stand is really nice.....but will it really hold that tank. With it being a 300 gallon tank, you would think it would have to have bigger supports. I will definitely follow this thread and see if it works. I am about to build mine and dont wont to over do it if I dont have too. I could always spend that money somewhere else......
Old 01/05/2008, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

oh man,,,i don't know if i can trust that stand ,,,but i guess,,,oceanic stand look the same too,,,,i don't know why alot large tank owner build 2x4 or even 4x4 frame,,,too heavy and taking too much of space,,,post more picture please,,we all love picture,,,
Old 01/06/2008, 12:10 AM

From what I was told by the person that made the stand and the person that made the tank it is more than enough...... I had the person that made the stand for me contact the person that made the tank for me just to be sure. The stand maker explained his design to the tank maker and it is all good. The tank maker is still going to honor the lifetime guarentee.....Cant beat that. That stand is all solid red oak.
Old 01/06/2008, 12:12 AM

Come to think of it khovio the person that made my tank is in Minnesota......Midwest Custom Aquriums.
Old 01/07/2008, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Very nice! I am getting my 300 built in two weeks. I wish you the best. Great work on the poly job.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:36 PM
Master of the Box Lunch

They are only about 4hrs from me and there are a few other manufacturers over there too. One great thing about where I live. Good stuff pretty close

Lunchbucket

"Nancy-Boy Extraordinaire"
- maxxII-
Old 01/08/2008, 09:26 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys/gals....Here are some pictures of my custom sump. Just got it yesterday.

Old 01/10/2008, 08:42 PM
Ryan Steagall

Tagging along... looking great I'm excited for you!
Old 01/10/2008, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Sweet!
Old 01/11/2008, 11:47 AM
I am a super nose picker

Bill its looking real nice.I like everything.The sump is very nice.I see you having enough room under there.Try to run your plumbing as close to the top and out of your way so that when you have to work on it you will not have any problems.Try to test everything before you fill it with salt water.I hope you won't run into any plumbing problems.Did you get some spa flex?With drum did you get on the 4 way?
Old 01/11/2008, 12:34 PM

Hi Steve,

I think I got Version 3. I let paul pick the one he felt would work best on my tank. I did get spa flex and regular sch 80 also. I will try to keep the plumbing as high and out of the way as I can. Any other words of advice for me? The plan is to plumb everything in the garage let the tank run with jst freshwater in it to make sure everything is ok. Then break the tank down and move it to its home in the basement. BILL
Old 01/11/2008, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

how tall is the stand and the canopy?
Old 01/11/2008, 02:29 PM

Stand is 36" and I think the canopy is like 16"
Old 01/11/2008, 02:32 PM
Premium Member

what sre planning to keep in the tank? sps?
Old 01/11/2008, 02:37 PM
I am a super nose picker

Use good glue.(weldon ).Don't use the kitchen&bath silicone.I would use silicone on the threads for the dart pumps and anything else that has threads.I used Oatley thread seal or thread lubricant.You find it at HD.Its liquid Teflon( its grey)I don't know if its reef safe.I used very little of it and its only on two threaded joints where I had a leak so I used it.I tried my best to only keep it on the threads.I don't know if anyone here knows if its reef safe,but like I said I used very little of it.
Old 01/11/2008, 02:47 PM
I am a super nose picker

Bill you are better off placing the tank downstairs and then testing for leaks there.If you dismantle and move stuff around more than likely something that didn't leak the first time around may leak after you have moved it.I would place the tank in the basement where is going to stay.Fill the tank 2 or 3 inches as well as the sump(height of the bulkheads)This way check all the bulkheads first.Leave it for 2 or 3 days then fill it to the height where water goes into your cl.Test your cl lines for any leaks.leave it for another day and check for leaks if your good add a bit more water and start up your cl pumps.If all your bulkheads are good you should be fine.the return lines usually don't leak.I don't know how you are planning to take everything apart.This is why I said test in the basement .If you have unions everywhere then you can unscrew them and you are fine.Unions aren't cheap.
Old 01/11/2008, 03:01 PM

Hi Steve. The reason for doing it in the garage was because I am placing the new tank in the same place the existing tank is. So no matter what I am going to have to move it again when I do the switch. I am using all True union Valves and unions so taking the stuff back apart is no big deal. I would much rather make a mess in the garage then in my finished basement. just figured doing it in the garage would be easier. I am not really doing it to test for leaks I am doing it to make the time needed to switch everything over easier. When I set it up in the garade i will not silicone the bulkheads in the CL. But when it is in the basement I will; be ptting a silicone bead around the bulkhead just for extra protection......
Old 01/11/2008, 03:08 PM
I am a super nose picker

Thats good.I wasn't sure if you were going to use unions and then tighten them up again.You can also cut the pipes and use couplings(Would cost less) Unions are better though cause at least you don't have to re glue everything.If your not removing the bulkheads than you can place a bead of silicone on them the first time.Don't over tighten the bulkheads.You are supposed to tighten them by hand.
Old 01/11/2008, 03:12 PM

Thanks for all the info Steve....If you can think of any more I would appreciate it. After all I know you went thru this process not to long ago. If you can think of any other do's/don'ts PLEASE share them.. THANKS AGAIN BILL
Old 01/11/2008, 04:46 PM
I am a super nose picker

#1 Don't use Kitchen&Bath silicone
#2 Don't hook up a kalk reactor to a pump without using some type of controller along with a float switch or else when you come back from vacation finding out everything (or almost everything)might be dead
#3 Don't tell your wife what you spend on the tank(she doesn't need to know)
#4Don't let your wife read this
#5 Don't use any soap when washing filter socks
#6 Don't leave buckets lying around where someone else can use them to wash stuff,not tell you anything,and then fish don't eat and die!
#7 Don't let your in laws live with you while there house is being renovated(see rule #6)
#8 Try not to buy aggressive fish that may kill the fish you already have.
#9 dead live stock and corals can cause an ammonia spike witch will lead to other things dying.
#10 If you have Mh lights get a chiller
#11 Make sure when you go away you have someone who knows what he or she is doing to maintain your tank
#12 Don't overfeed unless you have a very powerful skimmer,even then nitrates and phosphates are a corals worst enemy.
#13 try to keep electric outlets away from splashing water unless you want to make your basement into a very expensive bonfire
#14 Cover your tank when switching out bulbs,some people have butter fingers and the bulbs break(Jnarowe knows this) and end up in the aquarium where you may not find all the pieces of the puzzle.They couldn't put Humpty Dumpty back together again,same goes for the lost bulbs

If I missed out the dew's and don't s someone can add to it