Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 04/07/2005, 07:38 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Pairing Bangaiis

Well, my situation is that I wanted 2 Bangaii Cardinalfish regardless of a pair/male/female. I know I have only had the two fish in my tank for about a week, but they seem almost in seperable already. They both came from different store (the last two in town) and both acclimated GREAT and ate shortly after acclimation. They almost immidiately gravitated towards each other. Most likely because of the schooling instinct, but Im surprised that they aren't trying to seperate. Im confessing a reefer sin here, but I keep both of them in a 10g until we move and set up a 28g bowfront. Thats the background and some information.

The main question is, What are the pairing behaviors that I should look for in these fish? What are there mating behaviors? If you miss the spawning, how do you know the male has eggs in his mouth?
Old 04/08/2005, 03:27 AM
Registered Member

HI

Pair behaviour - this is easy they are both still alive, bangaiis are nasty little sods, if you had 2 girls one would heavily dominate the other, pairs tend to cohabit very well.

Mating behaviour consists of one fish doing a shimmy in front of the other then crossing under and shimmying on the other side.

If you miss the spawning the male will have an extended mouth and will stop eating for a few weeks.

Christian
Old 04/12/2005, 05:38 PM
My Life for Aiur!

That is EXACTLY what I was looking for in an answer. Too bad over the weekend they both died. One started to show signs of distress by gasping at the top of the water. The other was fine. By that afternoon before I could get ahold of an air pump (which was the only thing I could think of since all my water parameters were at 0 and my SG was at 1.024) after work, I came home to find it dead. So I took it out and in about 36 hours I woke up to see the other one dead without any signs of distress. I did notice before they died that one would shimmy infront of the other without either one getting offensive or aggressive. I passed it off as establishing a pecking order since they never left the spot they found together. Oh well, now I know what to look for. Thank you though
Old 04/12/2005, 05:47 PM
Registered Member

NO probs, its hard loosing fish especially when you know what you did wrong.

Better luck next time.

Christian
Old 04/12/2005, 07:13 PM
My Life for Aiur!

I was even in the plans on making a HOB skimmer out of a 1 litre plastic pepsi bottle with that air pump. Oh well. Maybe I should just wait until I get my 26g bowfront
Old 04/12/2005, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

The 10 gallon will work, but the problem is the wild caught bangaii. WC bangaii are extremely hard to keep alive due to some crazy internal infection they get, but yours sounded like brook or Amyloo ( 2 very deadly fish diseases that are very predominant this time of year ). You will want a hang on the back filter for the 10 gallon with a biowheel, but the skimmer is unnecissary. So, if you want to try again I sya go for it, but try to find captive bred bangaii. If you buy them from Inland Aquatics in Indiana they will send you a captive bred and sexed pair.
Old 04/12/2005, 10:57 PM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...47#post4740847
Old 04/15/2005, 04:15 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Thank you VERY much for that link. It is something I will definitely do
Old 04/15/2005, 04:20 PM
My Life for Aiur!

I had a HOB filter but I took the cartidge out because I had 0 parameters and I added a clump of chaeto and a palm light over the top and made it into a HOB refugium