Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum

Old 04/07/2005, 08:56 PM
Registered Member

rearing Chrysiptera

Has anyone had any joy with rearing larvae of any of the species in this genus, including (Yellow tail blues, orange tail blues (C. cyanea, Fiji, starcks, anything for that matter?

I found a journal paper that said they got 25% survival and settlement at 25days, but only using selco enrichment of rots and 24hr light duration, seems strange as their experiment stated no survival with rot enrichment on algae bases and with anything but 24hr light duration.

Thanks

Christian
Old 04/08/2005, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

Yep, enrichment products sometimes do wonders.

Luis te buscan
Old 04/08/2005, 02:21 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ediaz
Luis te buscan
Yeah,I know,everybody is waiting that I comment this article in public,which I restrain myself from doing.Don´t make me talk!
I first bred C.taupou in 1976 and during all these years (except the 80´s)I struggled with C.parasema mostly,but also with C.hemicyanea and C.cyanea.
OK,I will just use 3 adjectives;this article is false,a fraud and a shame!
Old 04/08/2005, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

so the article is just an artifact of a one off experiment when they had some success, it was done by some italians i think, is it the same one

Olivotto I, Marco C, Barbaresi L, Maradonna F. and Carnevali O. (2003). Coral Reef Fish BReeding: the secrets of each species. Aquaculture 224(1-4): 69-78

Is that it
Old 04/09/2005, 02:00 PM
Premium Member

Christian,

You bet:You found the real masterpiece of shame.You already found that something didn´t smell well there.Now read it slowly and try to find what is wrong,what is made up,what is unlikely and what is just impossible.

But every story has a beginning.This one started when this nature-fiction writer found what I had written in http://www.reefsuk.com/ (go to articles and captive breeding).

But have you already searched "damsels"in this forum?
Old 04/10/2005, 07:30 AM
Registered Member

I havent searched damsels here but have had some experience in rearing Pomacentrus amboinensis before, but all the C. cyanea eggs i have dealt with are much smaller.

This article talks about their statistical analysis but never actually does any, and certainly doesnt analyse the data aside form presenting a graph. And i surpose what is on the RCT website about using some algae as a supliment for dottybacks or grammas doesnt aline with the algae not working in this damsel study.

Hmmmmm and here i was thinking i migh thave found an easy damsel.

Christian
Old 04/12/2005, 10:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by clownfish75

I havent searched damsels here but have had some experience in rearing Pomacentrus amboinensis before, but all the C. cyanea eggs i have dealt with are much smaller.

Hmmmmm and here i was thinking i migh thave found an easy damsel.

Christian
You´ve read the "easy damsel"thread,right?.There were 4 levels of easiness.

Chrysiptera were "difficult".IME with Pomacentrus (auriventris),it was similar to Chrysiptera but a little more difficult,more smaller eggs,hatching earlier.This was different to your findings