Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/10/2008, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

quick liverock question

I managed to find an old container of crushed coral and in the middle also found a chunk of LR. It was pretty nasty so I did the whole bleach process to clean it up. Next thing; It is covered in shells (pic below) and I THOUGHT I read somewhere that this wasnt good and the shells should be removed. Is this true or not?

Old 01/10/2008, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

if you remove the shells you will have lr rubble. it should not matter. my lr has shells in it and its doing fine.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

the shells are fine to have.
Old 01/10/2008, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

I wish I had some shells in my live rock...
John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lays down his life friends.
Old 01/10/2008, 11:04 PM
Registered Member

The shells should be fine. I'm not sure about bleaching the rock though. you might have contaminated it if you used bleach. After all it is porous.

Harry
Old 01/10/2008, 11:16 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by harryk
The shells should be fine. I'm not sure about bleaching the rock though. you might have contaminated it if you used bleach. After all it is porous.

Harry
I dont remember which forum it was but its referenced to once in awhile on here that I found the info but anyways they CLAIMED the following should be ok (im still a bit iffy on it though myself). Soak rock in 50/50 water/bleach for 2 days, fresh water for 2 days, freshwater/baking soda mix for 3-4 days, fresh water for 2 days and then rinse really well.
Old 01/11/2008, 12:01 AM
Registered Member

I think shells are fine and attractive. However, if too many are pointed upward they could function like a tray of bosls waiting to bill filled with detrius soup.
Old 01/11/2008, 07:04 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ajm
I dont remember which forum it was but its referenced to once in awhile on here that I found the info but anyways they CLAIMED the following should be ok (im still a bit iffy on it though myself). Soak rock in 50/50 water/bleach for 2 days, fresh water for 2 days, freshwater/baking soda mix for 3-4 days, fresh water for 2 days and then rinse really well.
I'm sure you read it, but personally I would never use bleach on porous rock, especially such a large dose as 50% bleach. I think no matter how much you rinse it that rock will probably have bleach leaching out for a long time, JMO. I have bleached equipment using a 5/1 ratio 5 parts water 1 part bleach but then again they aren't porous.

Harry